Raymond/Edvinsson vs Sanderson/Eklund

Which wing and defensemen combo would you prefer?

• Total voters

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Reading up on Jake Sanderson and what he has been up to lately and it got me thinking which tandem would fans like more. Its way too early to tell and I was in the Raymond camp but I feel the gap between Sanderson and Edvinsson could be much larger than that of Raymond and Eklund

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Uhh, impossible to tell at this point. Only gut feeling is that this is splitting hairs at the moment.

"Can't decide" should be 3rd option on the poll.

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Oof...That's kind of a tough one for me. I think Raymond and Eklund have near identical top 6 upside as 2-way, play driving wingers. I think Eklund will be a slightly better goalscorer than Raymond but Raymond is a slightly better playmaker. They're very, very close as players.

As for Sanderson vs. Edvinsson, I think that's also a situation where you can't go wrong either way. Sanderson is the best US defense prospect and probably a top 10 prospect in the world right now. Edvinsson could be the top Swedish defense prospect and top 10 prospect in the world.

Sanderson and Edvinsson play a very similar game. They're both lanky but are incredible skaters, very good stickhandlers but both need to work on their shooting and passing. Both players have solid defensive instincts and that will be their calling cards in the NHL. I think Sanderson is more physical of the two but Edvinsson may develop some more bite to his game. I also think that Edvinsson may have more offense hidden within his game than Sanderson does at the pro level.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
One thing about Edvinsson and Raymond is they were both drafted by the same team, Detroit, so they are a true tandem.

Sanderson and Eklund were, of course, drafted by two different teams, Ottawa and San Jose.

Personally, I think it's kind of hard to fault Detroit for making the conventional, consensus pick on Lucas Raymond.

Regarding Edvsinsson, this year's draft, picks #3-#9 were much more disputed than last year's, or any year's in memory.

So... to fault Detroit for making the consensus pick on Raymond, and then turn around and fault Detroit for NOT making what SOME people say is the safer, consensus pick on Eklund is a little too...picky (pun very much intended!) right now.

Ultimately, teams need to make the best picks whether popular or not. Maybe the best pick is the consensus pick one year and not the consensus pick the next, but it's too early to tell on these guys.

If I had to answer, then I think maybe there won't be a huge difference between Raymond and Eklund but I think Edvinsson could be more of a difference-maker than Sanderson. So, I'll stick with Edvinsson and Raymond.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
For me: Raymond > Eklund > Sanderson >>>>> Edvinsson

I'm a giant Raymond fan but had to go with Sanderson/Eklund. I'm just hoping Edvinsson surprises me, he definitely has a lot of potential.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Before they belonged to NHL teams I had them ranked in their respective draft classes as -

Raymond - 3
Edvinsson - 6
Eklund - 8
Sanderson - 12

I could be wrong, but I am good with what we have. I wanted to pass on Sanderson, because I thought the LHD were better this year with Power/Hughes/Edvinsson. But Sanderson had a pretty nice +1 year. So I guess we will see how this plays out.

Pretty random thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Personally I wasn't impressed with Sanderson at the WJC at all. I know his NCAA points-per-game is roughly on par with a guy like Makar, but Makar was dominant at the WJC and Sanderson was hard to notice unless you specifically looked for him.

Haven't seen Edvinsson play much but at this point I take his combination of size, skating and skill, I think there's more upside to be found there. Other than skating I've seen no special tools in Sanderson's game.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Good question actually. I prefer Raymond over Eklund but Sanderson over Edvinsson. Someone help me feel good about Edvinsson. I actually don’t mind the pick but doing more watching of him his skating looks like Bambi on skates to me. I mean people knocked Clarke’s skating and to me Edvinssons is worse and his shot is blah

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
never been a fan of Sanderson so this is easy for me, Drysdale/Eklund would make this a much tougher question for me

probably still Raymond/Edvinsson either way though

overall it played out pretty much how I wanted it to, I wanted Raymond or Perfetti last year partly because of all the good D in this years draft and the Wings ended up doing both parts of that

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think you are asking the wrong question.

Drysdale is better and I believe he will turn out better than Sanderson so it is an easy choice for me for Raymond/Edvinsson over Sanderson/Eklund

Now Raymond/Edvinsson vs Drysdale/Eklund

That is tough and I would probably take Drysdale/Eklund over Raymond/Edvinsson at this point.
I vote for your option.

I wanted Drysdale in the draft....

Reactions: Go Wings

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
For me: Raymond > Eklund > Sanderson >>>>> Edvinsson

I'm a giant Raymond fan but had to go with Sanderson/Eklund. I'm just hoping Edvinsson surprises me, he definitely has a lot of potential.

Same here, except for the fact that I trust the Yzerplan but I can see Edvinsson blowing up in our faces

Not worried about Raymond at all

Reactions: Realgud
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Someone help me feel good about Edvinsson. I actually don’t mind the pick but doing more watching of him his skating looks like Bambi on skates to me. I mean people knocked Clarke’s skating and to me Edvinssons is worse and his shot is blah
Are you watching the right guy? Edvinsson is an excellent skater. He's good on his edges and he can flat out fly when he decides to go end to end, similar to Broberg.

I want to say Hockeyprospect gave him 8/9 on skating, so it's not just me saying so.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Good question actually. I prefer Raymond over Eklund but Sanderson over Edvinsson. Someone help me feel good about Edvinsson. I actually don’t mind the pick but doing more watching of him his skating looks like Bambi on skates to me. I mean people knocked Clarke’s skating and to me Edvinssons is worse and his shot is blah

I'm going to try to help make you feel good about Edvinsson. Alright, here we go:

Your takeaways from your viewings are really bad and inaccurate.

Edvinsson might have the highest size and skating package in this entire draft class. He's extremely dynamic as a skater, especially as the puck carrier in transition.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Are you watching the right guy? Edvinsson is an excellent skater. He's good on his edges and he can flat out fly when he decides to go end to end, similar to Broberg.

I want to say Hockeyprospect gave him 8/9 on skating, so it's not just me saying so.
Everything I have heard or read says good skater, good shooter, good passer, bad decision maker. Never a good sign for a defenseman.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Same here, except for the fact that I trust the Yzerplan but I can see Edvinsson blowing up in our faces

Not worried about Raymond at all
I'm with you. Raymond seems to be a pretty sure thing. Edvinsson seems to be a serious boom or bust candidate based on everything I've read it doesn't sound like he has it between the ears but his athleticism is fantastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad