Speculation: Ray Shero 'inside track' to succeed GM Bryan Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The Senators are still the youngest group out there.

Instead of calling this team a joke, why don't you have some ****ing paitance and let the young kids mature?

Of course the top teams are going to make the Sens look pathetic. They are farther along in their development and what not.

It takes a long time to build a team. This **** does not happen over night.

Calling this team a joke or not a real team is just being negative for the sake of being negative.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Excuses, excuses

They suck because they are young
They suck because they don't have enough skill
They suck because the owner
They suck because the coach
They suck because the budget

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Instead of calling this team a joke, why don't you have some ****ing paitance and let the young kids mature?

Of course the top teams are going to make the Sens look pathetic. They are farther along in their development and what not.

I think it would be a lot easier to have patience if management either wasn't disillusioned or flat out lying to us. I'm willing to wait and be patient if management came out and straight shooter with us that we're back in a rebuild and we want to build from scratch instead of saying we're a playoff team.

I just want a plan from management is all. Are we rebuilding still? Are we supposed to be a good team and the last two years we've gone downhill?

Being open and honest with your fan base is always the best action in my opinion. Enough of the tire spinning already and pick a direction.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Calling this team a joke or not a real team is just being negative for the sake of being negative.

1206af25a27a2a845ea8d8d21d096ce21583580aea3d54353cda620ea01e8edd.jpg

In general I agree. There are things and trends going forward that I don't particularly like (such as, at times, sitting and waiting for development without making calculated moves to improve long-term success), but unfortunately, and overall, we're all just going to have to have more patience.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I think it would be a lot easier to have patience if management either wasn't disillusioned or flat out lying to us. I'm willing to wait and be patient if management came out and straight shooter with us that we're back in a rebuild and we want to build from scratch instead of saying we're a playoff team.

I just want a plan from management is all. Are we rebuilding still? Are we supposed to be a good team and the last two years we've gone downhill?

Being open and honest with your fan base is always the best action in my opinion. Enough of the tire spinning already and pick a direction.

All of this.

This is why I'm sick of management. You fire Maclean because he lost the room but then you throw in the BS of "we believe this is a playoff team". Well, if those are the standards you've set, then you've got to fire Cameron too. Had you come out and said, "this team is young, and we need a coach right now who can work with the players to teach them the basics." then I'd have been cool with the Cameron promotion.

Then you constantly blow smoke up our behinds about how "we'll spend when we need to" and then you do nothing of note during free agency despite the owner sounding off about how if they get in at 8th, they could go all the way and a GM that uses a first round win over Montreal to promote that this team is ready to take the next step.

I am TOTALLY cool with the Senators saying: "We are young, our plan is to let our youth develop like we are a farm team and when the moment is right, we will add to the depth of our organization to make a real run. This will take 3-5 years."

Our fans are not stupid. They were all in in 2009 when the sell-off started with Fisher and Kelly and attendance was fine. Attendance will drop because the fans are starting to get fed up with a directionless franchise that doesn't know what it wants to be.

And for **** sakes, fix the defense already. It's sheer lunacy to let this many young D-men try to find their feet in the NHL. Ceci, Cowen, Wiercoch, and Boro should STILL be in the AHL until they are ready to play in the NHL or each are sheltered by an experience GOOD veteran (Phillips does NOT fit that mold).

I get the negativity. There is no direction. "Team is young" is not a direction, it's an excuse until management indicated that this is the plan.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

PRetty much

I want Murray or his replacement to come out and say

"We thought we could be competitive but we lost Alfie, Spezza and Methot (you know it's going to happen) but we were wrong, this team is nowhere near the level it needs to be to considered a playoff team. We are going into full rebuild"

Spezza said it when he was asked why he left: "at some point you want to win". You don't win when in Ottawa, it's that simple; we are a joke and until we accept that we're not going to shed the label.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/buffalo_sabres/

Attitude problems are so overrated and injuries are a crapshoot: sometimes they happen all the time and sometimes they stop.
Gaborik used to be a guy getting injured all the time who would vanish in the playoffs and he was a major piece of the Kings' Cup run last year with LA going to 7 game series in each of the first three rounds and he was clutch as hell.

Bogo is a downgrade on Myers but Kane is an upgrade on Stafford and then there's Lemieux and Armia who look like decent prospects

How about we wait and see how they do before saying it won't work?

I like the trade because it takes big balls to do something like that, I love big trades, everybody does. That in itself is worth celebrating.

It will take until well into next season to see how Kane rebounds but he's been given a new shot at an NHL career and he's going to a team that has a leadership core that will not allow Kane to get out of hand like he did in Winnipeg because that team had no identity for a while.

Basically I'm willing to see where it goes before saying if it was a good trade or not. I'm glad it happened because I'm always in favour of being proactive and Tim Murray is definitely proactive. Like I said, if Buffalo gets a lot better next year everyone will consider Tim Murray a genius; it's all about the payoff.

A new GM can come in and make changes without having to retain players that the previous GM drafted or traded for, as the GM's reputation is not tied to those players. I hope the next GM in Ottawa is from outside the organization so he has no vested interests in retaining current players and starts to rebuild the team with a focus on where the team will be in three to four years out, not this year and the next two years.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
PRetty much

"We thought we could be competitive but we lost Alfie, Spezza and Methot (you know it's going to happen) but we were wrong, this team is nowhere near the level it needs to be to considered a playoff team. We are going into full rebuild"

Spezza said it when he was asked why he left: "at some point you want to win". You don't win when in Ottawa, it's that simple; we are a joke and until we accept that we're not going to shed the label.

Agreed.

I was prepared to happily to support the team for several years when they announced their plans to rebuild in 2011. My only concern at the time was that we'd attempt to 'rush' or not fully immerse in the rebuilding concept with Murray/Melnyk at the helm. I feel like my fears have come to pass, we never did fully embrace the rebuild and we're in a very unhealthy state right now because of it. We got some useful pieces during that brief rebuild, but we're still a very long way to where we need to be. I'd really appreciate an honest direction from management to the fans at this stage. Selling the idea that we're a good team just isn't fair to the fans right now.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Well it looks like no one wants the job so we're going to have to promote internally yet again

I like Dorion and Lee, and would live with the decision if they are promoted and see how they do, but it wouldn't be my 1st preference. I don't really think anyone in our management has done anything to deserve a promotion to be honest. I would be in favor of a fresh new perspective at the top directing things.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Actually watching real teams is what got me to understand just how pathetic the Senators are

It's true, things aren't that dire now; Edmonton and Toronto remain bigger jokes than Ottawa

I expect them to be that dire within the next 5 years though

Based on what? The Sens have some solid young players, a decent prospect pool and a very high pick in a very good draft coming. A solid scouting staff. Lots of pieces to make a trade for impact players.

It's not that bad. THere are ebs and flows to any hockey team. The Sens sucked for 6 or 7 years, then they were awesome for 11. Now they're going to struggle for a while while they rebuild.

It happens, it'll get better

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Well it looks like no one wants the job so we're going to have to promote internally yet again

There were rumours that Shero was going to get the job, then rumours that he doesn't want it? We have no idea where else the franchise is looking, or if they did indeed make an offer to Shero.

Step away from the ledge, dude.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Bombarding the body with radiation in an attempt to kill cancerous cells. The side-effect of which is often weight loss and feeling ill.

Chemotherapy is the use of drugs to kill cancer cells. Radiation is also used in certain situations such as prostate cancer.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
This is why I'm sick of management. You fire Maclean because he lost the room but then you throw in the BS of "we believe this is a playoff team". Well, if those are the standards you've set, then you've got to fire Cameron too. Had you come out and said, "this team is young, and we need a coach right now who can work with the players to teach them the basics." then I'd have been cool with the Cameron promotion.

Then you constantly blow smoke up our behinds about how "we'll spend when we need to" and then you do nothing of note during free agency despite the owner sounding off about how if they get in at 8th, they could go all the way and a GM that uses a first round win over Montreal to promote that this team is ready to take the next step.

I am TOTALLY cool with the Senators saying: "We are young, our plan is to let our youth develop like we are a farm team and when the moment is right, we will add to the depth of our organization to make a real run. This will take 3-5 years."

Our fans are not stupid. They were all in in 2009 when the sell-off started with Fisher and Kelly and attendance was fine. Attendance will drop because the fans are starting to get fed up with a directionless franchise that doesn't know what it wants to be.

And for **** sakes, fix the defense already. It's sheer lunacy to let this many young D-men try to find their feet in the NHL. Ceci, Cowen, Wiercoch, and Boro should STILL be in the AHL until they are ready to play in the NHL or each are sheltered by an experience GOOD veteran (Phillips does NOT fit that mold).

I get the negativity. There is no direction. "Team is young" is not a direction, it's an excuse until management indicated that this is the plan.

:clap:

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
Excuses, excuses

They suck because they are young
They suck because they don't have enough skill
They suck because the owner
They suck because the coach
They suck because the budget

How many teams have a top 6 completely under 30? Now how about top 4 defenseman? Now how about both?

We are in a better position than most care to admit.

Also that's what, 21 losses out of 32 by one goal? The Sen's have had maybe 2-3 games all season where they were blown out.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
All of this.

I think it's unfair to expect Cameron to completely turn around the team mid season. It takes time to implement a new system, and get things clicking. If Cameron still has the players playing 500 hockey 20 games into next season, then all is fair, but at this stage they really haven't been dealt their hands from the same deck of cards.

Well, we spent to retain Ryan, MacArthur, Lehner and Anderson. Methot hasn't left yet, but opinions are split on whether he's worth what he's asking, and even if he does leave, we've yet to see what their backup plan is. I don't think it's unfair to say that we are currently in a development phase, so it makes sense to hold off on signing the more sought after UFAs.

Ok, but aside from saying we think we can currently make the playoffs, that's kinda what we're doing. We are letting the young team develop and hoping they can get into the playoffs and gain some experience there, but staying away from big ticket UFA.

Idk, I think management want's to compete for a playoff spot while the kids develop. They don't want to rush the prospects (hence Neil, Phillips, Michalek, Legwand contracts).

Well, I agree that we have some guys playing above where they should ideally be at this stage. Cowen and Ceci are fine as top 4 D, just not together. Phillips, Wiercioch and Boro are 6/7 D, which is fine in my books, they've just all been used in the top 4 because of Methot's injury. Gryba is another in that category, but he's played where he should all year. So, really it's that middle pair that's the problem, but imo all are NHL players on good teams, we just have too many breaking in at the same time. Could we use another top 4 D? Absolutely. But they aren't easy to come by, and Methot's injury likely had them in a holding pattern.

Suffice it to say, I agree that they've made errors in their internal evaluations, but I don't agree that they have no plan or lack direction. They believe in their young core, and want to grow from within. That's the direction. Lack of current success does not equal lack of direction.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
PRetty much

The only joke is when people can't accept reality and start to take everything said by management as guarantees.

Murray clearly believed this team was capable of a playoff spot prior to the start of the season.

However he didn't know Methot was going to miss 36 games, nor did he know Turris, Legwand & MacArthur were going to halve their production.

I assume you must have known or you are just another fairweather fan that probably doesn't attend games because its out in that wilderness called Kanata. :sarcasm:

Fact is management always knew this team would be in a tough battle for a playoff spot and as of today sit 11 points out with a game in hand on the Bruins. Not at all the disaster you are making it out to be considering all the factors.

PS Regarding Spezza, last time I checked it wasn't apparent he was going to win anything in Dallas, yet he signed a long term extension there!!!!!

So winning might not be as important to Spezza as he would have you believe.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There were rumours that Shero was going to get the job, then rumours that he doesn't want it? We have no idea where else the franchise is looking, or if they did indeed make an offer to Shero.

Step away from the ledge, dude.

Reliable rumours that Shero was on the inside track for the job

A full blown article in the Citizen about Murray looking for a successor

Suddenly he isn't going anywhere and was misquoted?

That means no one wants the job and/or that the people who do want are not on ownership's good side. It isn't that complicated

The only joke is when people can't accept reality and start to take everything said by management as guarantees.

Murray clearly believed this team was capable of a playoff spot prior to the start of the season.

However he didn't know Methot was going to miss 36 games, nor did he know Turris, Legwand & MacArthur were going to halve their production.

I assume you must have known or you are just another fairweather fan that probably doesn't attend games because its out in that wilderness called Kanata. :sarcasm:

Fact is management always knew this team would be in a tough battle for a playoff spot and as of today sit 11 points out with a game in hand on the Bruins. Not at all the disaster you are making it out to be considering all the factors.

PS Regarding Spezza, last time I checked it wasn't apparent he was going to win anything in Dallas, yet he signed a long term extension there!!!!!

So winning might not be as important to Spezza as he would have you believe.

Spezza thinks Dallas offers him a better chance at winning than we do, Alfie felt Ottawa did not offer him a good shot, Heatley saw the writting on the wall etc... We bleed talent regularly

I can accept Methot missing a lot of games being a problem that came out of nowhere, that's fine

Turris and MacArthur though, we all knew they weren't top line material. The problem here, as has been the problem over the last two to three years, has been that this team buys into it's own hype.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Has there even been any news regarding this "GM search" apart from that one article way back that said BM would be the one choosing his successor? Hell, do they even have the time to conduct interviews/whatnot right now?

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

That means no one wants the job and/or that the people who do want are not on ownership's good side. It isn't that complicated

So basically we know that Murray is looking for a successor, and that he may have been looking at Shero. Thats all we know. Maybe Murray moved in a different direction, maybe Shero did. We have no idea who else the team is considering or talking to.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Jump to conclusions from baseless rumours much??

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
So basically we know that Murray is looking for a successor, and that he may have been looking at Shero. Thats all we know. Maybe Murray moved in a different direction, maybe Shero did. We have no idea who else the team is considering or talking to.

Very true.

Fact is nobody knows for a fact who Murray has talked to, or might want to talk to, it all media speculation at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad