TSN: Ray Ferraro: Ottawa could be interested in Loui Eriksson

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Even if he would waive for us, Seabrook having an NMC makes this a total no-go because it would mean we need to protect him in the expansion draft
that is definitely an issue, but is Ottawa in any position right now to worry about that? I mean I am not sure they are at the max players to protect currently or for what we could guess who those might be...I agree, that would have to be looked at, but getting a player with a cap hit 3 times that of his actual salary has to be enticing for Ottawa..

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Of course you'd rather that! The Sens would never do it though lol...

Ryan is the best player by a decent margin, and is owed 22.5m over 3yrs

Eriksson is owed 13m over 3 yrs... Sutter is owed 9m over 2yrs

Even if he would waive for us, Seabrook having an NMC makes this a total no-go because it would mean we need to protect him in the expansion draft

Eriksson is actually owed wayyyy less than that , which is why he would be perfect for Melnyk and his budget.

Eriksson's contract is was front loaded and after his July 1 bonus which of course is when Ottawa would trade for him, then he Is only owed something like

9mil or less over the next 3 yrs. His AAV will still be 6 mil tho which is perfect for Ottawa.

Meanwhile Bobby Ryan is owed 22.5 million over 3 yrs.

That's a minimum saving of 12 million real dollars over 3 yrs. Tell me Melnyk wouldnt salavate at that idea and trade away a 2nd rnder to pull it off.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
that is definitely an issue, but is Ottawa in any position right now to worry about that? I mean I am not sure they are at the max players to protect currently or for what we could guess who those might be...I agree, that would have to be looked at, but getting a player with a cap hit 3 times that of his actual salary has to be enticing for Ottawa..

It would definitely have an impact and we are definitely in a position to consider it. Currently, we will need to protect 3 of Chabot, Wolanin, Jaros, Ceci, DeMelo and Lajoie. Ceci will probably be gone, and DeMelo might too, but I think there is a decent chance that Jaros or maybe Lajoie become a top 4 DMan and Wolanin is almost a lock imo. Adding Seabrook makes it almost guaranteed that we lose a really good player, who we might not need to lose otherwise.

I think Seabrook would take a 1st, even on top of Ryan being sent back.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Eriksson is actually owed wayyyy less than that , which is why he would be perfect for Melnyk and his budget.

Eriksson's contract is was front loaded and after his July 1 bonus which of course is when Ottawa would trade for him, then he Is only owed something like

9mil or less over the next 3 yrs. His AAV will still be 6 mil tho which is perfect for Ottawa.

Meanwhile Bobby Ryan is owed 22.5 million over 3 yrs.

That's a minimum saving of 12 million real dollars over 3 yrs. Tell me Melnyk wouldnt salavate at that idea and trade away a 2nd rnder to pull it off.

Okay... so... you're wrong.

No, Eriksson is not owed less than that lol... he's owed exactly that. 5 + 4 + 4 = 13.

Add in Sutter, and the savings are negligible.

And we give up the better player by a decent margin... and the best asset, in a 3rd, by far. All while saving maybe 300k per year. Even if its after bonuses are paid out, thats only a difference of like 1mil per year, all while adding an extra 2mil in lockout-proof money. So, again, assuming theres a lockout, we save 300k per year.

Yippee.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Okay... so... you're wrong.

No, Eriksson is not owed less than that lol... he's owed exactly that. 5 + 4 + 4 = 13.

Add in Sutter, and the savings are negligible.

And we give up the better player by a decent margin... and the best asset, in a 3rd, by far. All while saving maybe 300k per year. Even if its after bonuses are paid out, thats only a difference of like 1mil per year, all while adding an extra 2mil in lockout-proof money. So, again, assuming theres a lockout, we save 300k per year.

Yippee.

Sorry but you are mistaken.

** again, under the premise Ottawa doesnt trade for him until after July 1st as that's when his bonus is due **

2019-20- base salary is 1mil
2020-21 base salary is 1 mil/bonus 3 mil
2021- 22 babe salary is 3 mil/ bonus 1 mil

Grand total of .....9 mil after July 1st over 3 yrs.

Bobby Ryan meanwhile had no Bonus structure and its all bare salary with a grand total of 22.5 mil left on it.

So again , put yourself on Melnyks shoes.

22.5 mil or 9 mil.

Sutter is irrelevant. He doesnt need to be part of the move. But Ottawa sure as heck is adding a pick if the basis is Eriksson for Ryan

Reactions: gianni

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

** again, under the premise Ottawa doesnt trade for him until after July 1st as that's when his bonus is due **

Bobby Ryan meanwhile had no Bonus structure and its all bare salary with a grand total of 22.5 mil left on it.

22.5 mil or 9 mil.

Sutter is irrelevant. He doesnt need to be part of the move. But Ottawa sure as heck is adding a pick if the basis is Eriksson for Ryan

Okay... again... not only are you fundamentally changing the deal that was being discussed but... YOU are mistaken.

Ryan does have a bonus built into his contract. 2mil per year.

But yes, the point you are arguing, that no one made and no one argued... that I'll concede lol.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Okay... again... not only are you fundamentally changing the deal that was being discussed but... YOU are mistaken.

Ryan does have a bonus built into his contract. 2mil per year.

But yes, the point you are arguing, that no one made and no one argued... that I'll concede lol.

Ryan's bonus is built into his salary.
Theres no getting around it that he is owed 22.5 mil

Eriksson is owed 13 mil . But the Canucks will pay the 4 mil bonus this year which isnt built into his salary which means the team acquiring him only owns him 9 mil after July 1st.

Loui Eriksson

Bobby Ryan

So again I will ask the question.

What is 12.5 mil of savings worth to Melnyk ?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

22.5 mil or 9 mil.

You're closer but a little off here- Ryan does have signing bonuses to be paid per year of 2M moving forward. So if this trade were to happen after July 1st, Canucks take on 20.5M (24.5M if you include L.E's bonus) in real dollars for the Ryan contract- where Ottawa takes on only 9M (11M if you include the July 1st bonus from Ryan).

That being said yes there would have to be a pick involved going to the Canucks to facilitate the trade. We may be getting the better player in Ryan, but you are talking about basically buying a pick for 11.5M or if you include bonuses in your calculations 13.5M.

Per Capfriendly:
Louie:
upload_2019-5-7_15-17-35.png

upload_2019-5-7_15-17-5.png

Ryan:
upload_2019-5-7_15-18-11.png

upload_2019-5-7_15-18-29.png

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
You're closer but a little off here- Ryan does have signing bonuses to be paid per year of 2M moving forward. So if this trade were to happen after July 1st, Canucks take on 20.5M (24.5M if you include L.E's bonus) in real dollars for the Ryan contract- where Ottawa takes on only 9M (11M if you include the July 1st bonus from Ryan).

That being said yes there would have to be a pick involved going to the Canucks to facilitate the trade. We may be getting the better player in Ryan, but you are talking about basically buying a pick for 11.5M or if you include bonuses in your calculations 13.5M.

Per Capfriendly:
Louie:
View attachment 225409

View attachment 225407

Ryan:
View attachment 225411
View attachment 225413

Holy great detective work boys. I wonder if appraised what would the value of a 3rd round pick be in real money? If you were literally able to buy picks lol

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Eriksson+low pick(4th?) for futures after his bonus is paid in full. 9 million across three years is about what were paying other 20 point players on this roster, I'm not desperate to move him (not are Ottawa fans desperate for him), and we don't need the cap space.

If Ottawa wants Sutter or another player included, cool, market rate for them, but I don't see anyone else with the cap-to-salary ratio Eriksson has.

I don't care enough about cap space to pay a premium to move him, since all we will do is piss that cap space away on a middling player or two anyway. If we trade for a big salaried player then I might bite on a higher price to move him.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Don't want to hijack this into a Leafs thread but just a couple of questions.

1. Does Ottawa have any arbitration cases (that look probably) that could open up a 2nd buy out window?
2. If Ottawa is thinking of doing this, how viable is Marleau (after Toronto pays out the bonus) on July 1st to Ottawa where they then buy him out? Ottawa gets 6.25M cap hit at the cost of like 500k. Leafs could send pick/prospect for the transaction and this is far less expensive then taking on Eriksson.

Marleau has to agree to do it and there would need to be a re-sign with Toronto agreement (similar to Orpik) OR San Jose might be willing to bring him back at a significantly reduced rate, maybe a 1 year deal at like 1M? Marleau loses zero dollars in a transaction like this.

I am just thinking out loud here, because this situation saves money for a team like Ottawa.

Doesn't matter if the Sens or any other team have any possible upcoming arbitration cases for the 2nd buyout window after July 1st. Marleau can't be traded and then bought out by the team acquiring him after July 1st and after his 3 million dollar bonus is paid by the Leafs. He would've needed to be on the acquiring teams reserved list as of the last trade deadline for that to happen so that's not an option for the Leafs.

Marleau would need to be traded before July 1st to make it possible for the other team to buy him out and it would cost the acquiring team 3.83 million in real dollars to do so. Add in the cost of the player who would fill Marleau's roster spot (ie: 900K ELC contract) and it would end up being cheaper if the Sens, in this example, to keep and just pay Marleau his 4.25M instead.

So what kind of compensation does 3.83 million dollars buy these days?

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He has to ride the buses in Utica. HE doesn’t have a nmc just a full ntc for next season and a mntc for the final 2 years.

Canucks basically have to dare him to not report when they assign him to the A. He would have collected $31/$36 million. Is the final 5 mill worth it to play those 2 years in the A? That’s where it would stand for the Canucks.

That’s why Lucic and his nmc make no sense for the Canucks to acquire.

Is this the same Canucks team that wouldn't ask players to waive their nmc

They won't hardball a player out if the league by using Bush league tactics. Eriksson is still an nhl winger

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I'll send a 2nd with Marleau...for a 7th.
I would take marleau for a second as a wings fan problem is he has a no move clause I believe so unless you trade him to where he wants to go leags are screwed , he might not even want to move at this stage and play with leafs and nhl one last year and go for the cup

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If Ottawa really needs help hitting the floor I'm guessing they're calling Anaheim assuming Kesler goes LTIR which most assume will happen. The Ducks beat writer reported that 80 to 85% of the contract was insured. With a cap hit of 6.875 and only 6.675 owed in each of the next 4 years the max dollars spent is a little over 5 mill spread out over 4 years. No bonus's and he doesnt take up a roster spot from a player they actually want in the lineup. No idea on the cost though to Anaheim though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Ottawa really needs help hitting the floor I'm guessing they're calling Anaheim assuming Kesler goes LTIR which most assume will happen. The Ducks beat writer reported that 80 to 85% of the contract was insured. With a cap hit of 6.875 and only 6.675 owed in each of the next 4 years the max dollars spent is a little over 5 mill spread out over 4 years. No bonus's and he doesnt take up a roster spot from a player they actually want in the lineup. No idea on the cost though to Anaheim though.
Why not just try to get guys who have a $1 mill salary instead who are also on ltir? Saves more money which is what the owner wants to do.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Why not just try to get guys who have a $1 mill salary instead who are also on ltir? Saves more money which is what the owner wants to do.
If they're available sure. Im not familiar with ever teams LTIR players but was under the impression the players listed in this thread so far were healthy

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Sure, but that doesn’t mean they need Eriksson. The best thing for Ottawa to do is pick up guys who have one year left on their deals to hit the cap floor next year, but that way they aren’t committed to those players beyond next season. LTIR contracts would work too.

Senators will never reach the cap due to having an internal cap so it doesnt really matter. If they trade him after july 1st, he will only be owed 10mil over 3 seasons so 3.33mil in actual cash but having 6m to reach the floor. Eriksson is still a servicable player, just not a top 6er.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Ottawa has $18 mil in cap total for 20-21 season, which is why I said Seabs makes a lot of sense - they will need 3-4 Seabrook type contracts to reach the floor...please explain to me how they will do this with what they have???

This statistic feels like a Gretzky statistic... like how is that even possible. I believe you, it's just nuts. I feel bad for Sens fans. :(

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Ottawa has $18 mil in cap total for 20-21 season, which is why I said Seabs makes a lot of sense - they will need 3-4 Seabrook type contracts to reach the floor...please explain to me how they will do this with what they have???
Its not like all the RFAs they have in 20-21 are going go away, once they sign them all they will either be close to or at the cap floor.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
With so many UFAs available why would you take someone else’s garbage rather than making a run for a big useful UFA and make your team relevant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad