TSN: Ray Ferraro: Ottawa could be interested in Loui Eriksson

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Ferraro speculates that the Sens could be interested in Loui Eriksson to help them get to the Cap Floor

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...-a-team-interested-in-loui-eriksson-1.1300494

Sens willing to add a cap heavy contract but probably not one with more than 3 yrs left on term at they eventually need to pay their studs as well.

If it's for Loui Eriksson straight up then the Canucks would need to add a pick or prospect for compensation.

However if Canucks make it a package deal and take Bobby Ryan then I can see the Sens adding a pick or prospect

To Sens
Loui Eriksson
2nd rnd pick

To Canucks
4th rnd pick

To Sen
Loui Eriksson
Brandon Sutter
5th rnd pick

To Canucks

Bobby Ryan
2nd rnd pick

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Ferraro speculates that the Sens could be interested in Loui Eriksson to help them get to the Cap Floor

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...-a-team-interested-in-loui-eriksson-1.1300494

Sens willing to add a cap heavy contract but probably not one with more than 3 yrs left on term at they eventually need to pay their studs as well.

If it's for Loui Eriksson straight up then the Canucks would need to add a pick or prospect for compensation.

However if Canucks make it a package deal and take Bobby Ryan then I can see the Sens adding a pick or prospect

To Sens
Loui Eriksson
2nd rnd pick

To Canucks
4th rnd pick

To Sen
Loui Eriksson
Brandon Sutter
5th rnd pick

To Canucks

Bobby Ryan
2nd rnd pick
Any deal that gets rid of Eriksson is a win.

He has no hits since with the Canucks. Has very weak effort. Never gets hit because he isn’t willing to put himself in harms way.

He never stays late after practice to work on his sad shot. Then he blames the coach.

He’s not the guy you want young players to learn from.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

To Sens
Loui Eriksson
2nd rnd pick

To Canucks
4th rnd pick

To Sen
Loui Eriksson
Brandon Sutter
5th rnd pick

To Canucks

Bobby Ryan
2nd rnd pick
I'd do deal 2 from a Canucks POV. Would not touch deal 1. Additionally after bonuses paid for this year- Eriksson will only be owed 9M in real money over the course of the 3 years. Meanwhile Ryan would be still owed 20.5M- if the trade were to happen after July 1st it may even be Ottawa adding a pick for the money differential- but Vancouver gets the better player.

Reactions: Canucks777

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Marleau is your man, buy him out and he can sign with us or SJ for one last kick at the can.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If it’s Eriksson and a 2nd, Ottawa shouldn’t have to send back a 4th. How about a minor league player?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Don't want to hijack this into a Leafs thread but just a couple of questions.

1. Does Ottawa have any arbitration cases (that look probably) that could open up a 2nd buy out window?
2. If Ottawa is thinking of doing this, how viable is Marleau (after Toronto pays out the bonus) on July 1st to Ottawa where they then buy him out? Ottawa gets 6.25M cap hit at the cost of like 500k. Leafs could send pick/prospect for the transaction and this is far less expensive then taking on Eriksson.

Marleau has to agree to do it and there would need to be a re-sign with Toronto agreement (similar to Orpik) OR San Jose might be willing to bring him back at a significantly reduced rate, maybe a 1 year deal at like 1M? Marleau loses zero dollars in a transaction like this.

I am just thinking out loud here, because this situation saves money for a team like Ottawa.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Sens need cap space

No one every really needs AAV. There has never been a team that hasn't been able to reach the cap floor and there are multiple teams that have some seriously bad contracts they need to lose. There is nothing about Otts situation that changes the standard rate for these types of moves and thinking so is absurd.

Reactions: Mac Attack

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Don't want to hijack this into a Leafs thread but just a couple of questions.

1. Does Ottawa have any arbitration cases (that look probably) that could open up a 2nd buy out window?
2. If Ottawa is thinking of doing this, how viable is Marleau (after Toronto pays out the bonus) on July 1st to Ottawa where they then buy him out? Ottawa gets 6.25M cap hit at the cost of like 500k. Leafs could send pick/prospect for the transaction and this is far less expensive then taking on Eriksson.

Marleau has to agree to do it and there would need to be a re-sign with Toronto agreement (similar to Orpik) OR San Jose might be willing to bring him back at a significantly reduced rate, maybe a 1 year deal at like 1M? Marleau loses zero dollars in a transaction like this.

I am just thinking out loud here, because this situation saves money for a team like Ottawa.

Ottawa needs AAV for more than 1 yr

Reactions: skyo

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa needs AAV for more than 1 yr

The thing about bad contracts is there are *tons* of them out there, every year someone will have something to offer you. Arizona took advantage of that for years. Hell, Ottawa can grab Marleau and someone else's too just because of how little money Marleau's deal would actually cost them this season.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
35+ contract

I know its a 35+ contract. After July 1 he is owed a 1.25 but has a cap hit of 6.25, you gain an asset for taking on the contract in name. Unsure if he is allowed to sign with the team that trades him after July 1 which is why he likely signs in SJ of League min.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Makes sense,but I cant see Van taking Ryan,so its likely a pick to take the contract

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
No one every really needs AAV. There has never been a team that hasn't been able to reach the cap floor and there are multiple teams that have some seriously bad contracts they need to lose. There is nothing about Otts situation that changes the standard rate for these types of moves and thinking so is absurd.
Didn’t the Islanders nearly miss a few years back, so they acquired Tim Thomas’ rights to do so?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The thing about bad contracts is there are *tons* of them out there, every year someone will have something to offer you. Arizona took advantage of that for years. Hell, Ottawa can grab Marleau and someone else's too just because of how little money Marleau's deal would actually cost them this season.
He would be a nice add TBH,but he will never waive for Ottawa

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Keep in mind, he was speculating, not reporting.

I'd be very surprised if the Senators were interested in Eriksson. An Eriksson for Ryan change of scenery swap? Sure, that'd be great for everybody involved. Would Eriksson waive to go to Ottawa? I guess he would only if he really wants out.

I'm not going to sit here and do the math, but because Eriksson's contract was front loaded, if the Canucks pay his signing bonus of 6 million prior to the trade, maybe there is some sort of way to work the deal where the Senators retain on Ryan to bring him to being less than 6M in cap hit, so the Canucks get cap relief, but when the retained salary of Ryan and the added salary of Eriksson is accounted for, the Senators still save money.

A big reason why the Senators will 100 percent not be in on Eriksson is that he has 4 million in lockout bonuses. Maybe if the Canucks take Condon as well who is owed 3M against a 1.4M buried cap hit and is likely not pegged to play in Ottawa next season, that would be a compromise, as in look take that 3M, DON'T BUY ANOTHER FREAKIN HORSE EUGENE, there is his lockout bonus paid out a year earlier.

If the Canucks wanted to move Eriksson straight up, I think it would take the 10th overall pick with the Canucks also paying his July 1st signing bonus. That even seems light. These contracts just don't get moved without it being a bad contract for bad contract swap.

Again, this wasn't a report of a rumour, Ferraro was just spit balling, so I don't think it's going to happen.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Didn’t the Islanders nearly miss a few years back, so they acquired Tim Thomas’ rights to do so?

Almost every year there are teams where we say "I have no idea how they will reach the floor" but somehow they always do, is really the point I am getting at. Even in the worst case scenario there is nothing preventing them from going to a UFA and overpaying them on a 1 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad