TSN: Ray Ferraro: Ottawa could be interested in Loui Eriksson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Eriksson on July 2nd (signing bonus paid out) at 17 percent retained (brings him down to a 5 million dollar cap hit with 2.5 million a year in real dollars owed) and a 2nd rounder in exchange for Zack Smith?

Saves the Sens 750K in salary for the first two years while adding 1.75 in cap hit. Eriksson with further retention in his final year could have minor positive value for the Sens. For the Canucks, it clears off the year of Loui’s cap hit that we really need (first year of Pettersson and Hughes extensions).
Are the Canucks really in desperate need of cap space? Cap space is require when Pettersson needs a new contract which is Louis final year.

Just eat the contract until then.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
Are the Canucks really in desperate need of cap space? Cap space is require when Pettersson needs a new contract which is Louis final year.

Yes. Would vastly prefer to use that money on someone who actually cares.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes. Would vastly prefer to use that money on someone who actually cares.
They also have $5 million tied up for spooner and Schaller. Expect both to be bought out. That frees up $3.3 million.

Unless they are actually going to spend the cap space I don’t see the need to give up assets to get rid of him. Send him to the A if you don’t want him around.

I don’t see another team being interested. Cash out is $3 million per year. Is there a GM who truly believes that Eriksson is worth that without a nice add on?

Loui would have $1 mill in salary left when Pettersson heads into year 1 of his next contract. That’s the target date to move him.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I could see Ottawa paying picks to facilitate a Eriksson/Ryan swap.

What about Eriksson, Spooner and Schaller for Ryan, Condon and a 2nd.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
They also have $5 million tied up for spooner and Schaller. Expect both to be bought out. That frees up $3.3 million.

Unless they are actually going to spend the cap space I don’t see the need to give up assets to get rid of him. Send him to the A if you don’t want him around.

I don’t see another team being interested. Cash out is $3 million per year. Is there a GM who truly believes that Eriksson is worth that without a nice add on?

Loui would have $1 mill in salary left when Pettersson heads into year 1 of his next contract. That’s the target date to move him.

We would like to improve the team at some point. Gaining a forward who can actually contribute in a checking role and having 1.75 in extra cap to spend on roster upgrades would be a godsend. There’s a possibility that we can still deal Eriksson now, I don’t see any chance of us being able to move him in the final year of his contract if he’s spent the prior two seasons in the minors.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We would like to improve the team at some point. Gaining a forward who can actually contribute in a checking role and having 1.75 in extra cap to spend on roster upgrades would be a godsend. There’s a possibility that we can still deal Eriksson now, I don’t see any chance of us being able to move him in the final year of his contract if he’s spent the prior two seasons in the minors.
Canucks have to move out a few contracts.

Signed are Bo, Pettersson, Pearson, Sven, Virtanen, Beagle, Sutter, Roussell, Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller, Gaudette. That’s 12 guys with Brock, Leivo, and Motte getting their QO and new deal. That pushes them to 15 contracts. Buying the 2 guys out drops them down to 13 ( on a roster where they carry 8 Dmen, thus maxed out in forward spots).

Have to decide on Granlund. Probably too high to QO at $1.4 but not a major commitment to do so.

Benning needs to move 1 or 2 guys out. Not sure he can do that.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Canucks have to move out a few contracts.

Signed are Bo, Pettersson, Pearson, Sven, Virtanen, Beagle, Sutter, Roussell, Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller, Gaudette. That’s 12 guys with Brock, Leivo, and Motte getting their QO and new deal. That pushes them to 15 contracts. Buying the 2 guys out drops them down to 13 ( on a roster where they carry 8 Dmen, thus maxed out in forward spots).

Have to decide on Granlund. Probably too high to QO at $1.4 but not a major commitment to do so.

Benning needs to move 1 or 2 guys out. Not sure he can do that.
Unless the cap is actually getting used just bury Schaller and Spooner to start the year. At worst they would easily pass through waivers and be call up options. Try to move Sutter for a late pick. Ideally Eriksson is moved too but chances of that are slim so I will leave him in Vancouver for now. Two UFA signings for wingers hopefully on good term as Roussell will be on IR to start the year:

UFA-EP40-Brock
Pearson-Horvat-UFA
Sven-Gaudette-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-Leivo
Eriksson
IR:Rousell

One year later Jim Benning is fired and we can actually move forward which would be the best part.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I could see Ottawa paying picks to facilitate a Eriksson/Ryan swap.

What about Eriksson, Spooner and Schaller for Ryan, Condon and a 2nd.
Why complicate it further with Condon, Spooner and Schaller- all are on expiring deals next year and at least with Spooner and Schaller they can be expensive call ups from the AHL.

After July 1st:
Eriksson for Ryan + conditional 2020 2nd rounder (highest of any Ottawa has at end of year)

From a hockey value perspective it wouldn't make sense for Ottawa- but for Melnyk to save 11M in real money that is worth at least a high 2nd round pick, probably a 1st really but I'm not going to go down that road based on where there pick is this year.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
ottawa is in a good spot to take on contracts; i expect horton to end up on the sens...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
ottawa is in a good spot to take on contracts; i expect horton to end up on the sens...
He’s uninsured. Means the sens have to pay money.

If they are simply looking to reach the floor that’s where a Hossa/Franzen/Zetterberg contract becomes the target.

Arizona is currently projected to have a $74 million cap hit with a couple more players to sign due to increase to OEL, Smaltz, etc. So they could dump the Hossa contract and still be at $69 million well above the floor and still sign their remaining guys this be in the low 70’s.

No reason for the Sens to pay actual cash unless they get a benefit to take on the player or they feel that player will help their team.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013

This. . Van is not in desperate need of cap space

I hate the Eriksson deal and I hate the Eriksson player who I’ve seen for the past 3 years but unless we have our eyes on some high priced ufa’s ( scary in itself ) I’m not adding much to get rid of that contract

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He’s uninsured. Means the sens have to pay money.

If they are simply looking to reach the floor that’s where a Hossa/Franzen/Zetterberg contract becomes the target.

Arizona is currently projected to have a $74 million cap hit with a couple more players to sign due to increase to OEL, Smaltz, etc. So they could dump the Hossa contract and still be at $69 million well above the floor and still sign their remaining guys this be in the low 70’s.

No reason for the Sens to pay actual cash unless they get a benefit to take on the player or they feel that player will help their team.

People need to get this message loud and clear. Vegas also had Clarkson (just one year left). Arizona could move Hossa has 2 years left and that's better than Eriksson's 3 and only costs about $200K/y real money, it isn't much money for Ottawa to get that much cap but it is still a small cash saving for Arizona and frees up a contract slot.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I don't think the Canucks are a good enough team to be concerned about the cap right now. They're not going to be competitive for much, if any, of Eriksson's contract. No sense giving up assets just to move him.

Reactions: Mork

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Except that he has a full NMC and i highly doubt that he'd waive for OTT... I'd take that deal though

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
It depends on whether he wants to play another year making 1.25 million pre taxes...or retire and enjoy the almost 18 million he made the past 2 seasons.

Here's my take, i think he sits down with management, finds out their direction with him as a player...and then decides if it works for him. I do agree that if he wants to play, he ain't waiving, but if he decides to retire? He'll waive.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Why complicate it further with Condon, Spooner and Schaller- all are on expiring deals next year and at least with Spooner and Schaller they can be expensive call ups from the AHL.

After July 1st:
Eriksson for Ryan + conditional 2020 2nd rounder (highest of any Ottawa has at end of year)

From a hockey value perspective it wouldn't make sense for Ottawa- but for Melnyk to save 11M in real money that is worth at least a high 2nd round pick, probably a 1st really but I'm not going to go down that road based on where there pick is this year.

I read that some people think Spooner and Schaller may get bought out, so I figured the Canucks would prefer to dump them in this deal. From Ottawa's perspective - they have to get out from Condon's contract and they generally don't do buyouts. It also provides the Sens with a couple of short-term roster filler type forwards.

The simpler deal you proposed in probably more realistic.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Something else that might work for both sides:

Vancouver takes a couple of Ottawa's short-term bad contracts [Boedker and Condon] and send Eriksson and a pick to the Senators.

From the Canucks perspective - it's close to cap neutral in 19/20, but it clears their books for the following 2 seasons.

From Ottawa's perspective - it shaves 5M off their 19/20 payroll and adds 12M in cap for an 8M cash outlay over the following 2 seasons. However, if you subtract the 6M they would have paid to Condon/Boedker it looks even better for Melnyk.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Much cheaper cash ways for the Sens to hit the floor. Can add Hossa/Franzen/Zetterberg/Luongo etc who are owed minimal salary and likely al covered by insurance mostly. Why pay $9 million cash for Eriksson unless you believe he can perform?

Still need bodies on the ice that can serve as insurance so you're not giving prospects more than they can handle.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Still need bodies on the ice that can serve as insurance so you're not giving prospects more than they can handle.
Right, but is Eriksson the type of player you want around your young players? There’s a reason the Canucks want to move off him. Don’t they have young players as well?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I read that some people think Spooner and Schaller may get bought out, so I figured the Canucks would prefer to dump them in this deal. From Ottawa's perspective - they have to get out from Condon's contract and they generally don't do buyouts. It also provides the Sens with a couple of short-term roster filler type forwards.

The simpler deal you proposed in probably more realistic.
Schaller is not getting bought out, it would cost as much cap as sending him to the AHL plus it carries over another year. Spooner is possible though.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria

After July 1st:

I would look at doing something like this.

Ottawa isn’t going to be competing for a couple more seasons so Ryan isn’t needed at all and costs Melnyk quite a bit of cash.He could be replaced by low priced UFA’s looking for a rebound year and could be flipped for picks if it works out.

Vancouver is looking to start contending while continuing to build and badly needs scoring forwards so Ryan makes sense and could be rejuvenated with a change of scenery on an up and coming team.

Clearly it’s not working out between Eriksson and Green so he needs to be dealt and a change of scenery could be a good thing for him as well.Eriksson can still be an effective checking line player who can put up some points and can slot into a PK1 and PP2 if needed.He definitely needs a reset and could be a useful player if it works.
If not,he can be assigned to the AHL and might just choose to retire instead.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm sure Marleau would just jump at the opportunity to waive for Ottawa.
I will post this....again. In my opinion, if Marleau decides to waive, it's because he's retiring. The guy has already banked nearly 18 million of his 18.75 million dollar contract. So does a 40 year old want to play another 82+ game season for 1.25 million before taxes? I guess we shall see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad