TSN: Ray Ferraro: Ottawa could be interested in Loui Eriksson

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
After bonuses for next year are paid, Eriksson is owed 9M over 3 years while Ryan would be owed 20.5M over the same span. I think a 2nd round pick compensation is rather generous. In terms of retaining, it wouldn't actually be that much to lower the AAV's to match it would be like 10% or roughly 2.8M more in cash. That would still be Melnyk saving about 18M in real dollars even with retention

I’m not against retaining, but Melnyk might be. El Cheapo is one of his nicknames in Ottawa. He doesn’t like to retain salary or buy guys out.

What about adding Brandon Sutter to the deal with no retention on Ryan? Vancouver saves money the next two seasons that way. Sutter has to agree though, since he has a 15 team no trade list.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I’m not against retaining, but Melnyk might be. El Cheapo is one of his nicknames in Ottawa. He doesn’t like to retain salary or buy guys out.

What about adding Brandon Sutter to the deal with no retention on Ryan? Vancouver saves money the next two seasons that way. Sutter has to agree though, since he has a 15 team no trade list.
Sure, but would want a mid pick back for him still. He's coming off a bad season but I don't think he's super negative value as of yet. Honestly it would be easier just to keep it Eriksson for Ryan and whatever the highest 2nd round pick in 2020 you end up with.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

We don't value Sutter as a cap dump, rather just a spare part with Gaudettes emergence. I have him valued at about a second round pick alone.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Why tho?

Canucks arent in a cap crunch and alot of the money on the contract has already been paid out.

Were not ready to legitimately compete so having Eriksson on roster isnt life or death.

Hes gone in 3 yrs.

I'd rather pick in top 10 than drop 9 spots and get rid of Eriksson
Why would you want to trade a player your lord and saviour brought in?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00