TSN: Ray Ferraro: "Matthews is a legit MVP candidate"

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Agreed. It's amazing how much I defend Matthews on the main boards. Everyone always says "Matthews is great at scoring goals but give me ________ player who plays a more complete game"

Glad to see the industry recognizes a great player.

I've learned the average poster wouldn't recognize ability unless it slapped them in the face, and even then... Half the people don't watch the players they comment on, and half have no idea how to assess what they see. There is a solid 10% of fans who seem to know their shit, and my advice is to pick out who those guys are and value their opinions. There are fans of rival teams I respect when they point out a flaw in our team I might not see due to homerism. Others will point out flaws that don't exist.

Reactions: TopChedder

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Don't bother. Half the people responding don't actually watch the games, and their main retort is "lol leaf fans."

Matthews is still an amazing player regardless of what the main boards say.
I've always thought to just trust your ability in assessing talent you're watching. Don't worry too much if someone is purposely trolling or hating. Also, some people won't like Matthews because of any reason. Nothing you can do, you can't ever have a player that EVERYONE will like its not possible. Heck, some people don't like Gretz.

If you believe Auston is a good/great player and you trust your ability in what you're seeing along with stats, then **** what anyone says. Don't feel like you have to defend him, you know it gets tiring.

Just talk about him in threads here and we can all enjoy here. As we have done for many years. :)

Reactions: Jmo89

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
On a really basic level (off the top of my head):
- He is well positioned
- Backchecks hard
- Can strip the puck from a player with his stick as well as anyone
- Has become quite physical hitting wise
- Uses his body well to separate players from the puck (both on forecheck and to clear the zone)
- Wins a lot of board battles
- Great at the face off dot
- Manages the puck well
- Poise
- Disciplined

He has become a very complete player.

Is that all? Seriously? No really seriously? Tic

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I've always thought to just trust your ability in assessing talent you're watching. Don't worry too much if someone is purposely trolling or hating. Also, some people won't like Matthews because of any reason. Nothing you can do, you can't ever have a player that EVERYONE will like its not possible. Heck, some people don't like Gretz.

If you believe Auston is a good/great player and you trust your ability in what you're seeing along with stats, then **** what anyone says. Don't feel like you have to defend him, you know it gets tiring.

Just talk about him in threads here and we can all enjoy here. As we have done for many years. :)

Agreed. That's also why I typically ignore comparisons. Player 'x' is only the 3rd, 5th, etc. best player in the league? I'm fine with that. Especially since the end goal is the cup not (personal) player achievements (they're a nice cherry on top though.)

Reactions: MattySnipes

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Main boards are beyond pathetic, were talking about guys who move the goal posts(or more accurately never speak in good faith) and dump on Matthews every year for something new. Nonstop Leaf trolling even though it's allegedly against the rules, infractions are only given out if you call them out for their gross behavior, absolute joke of moderation.

Fact that so many are Oiler fans is just even grosser, they have the consensus best player in the league but still endlessly froth at the mouth over Matthews because he was compared to McDavid 4 years ago...and were fragile, smh.

If it's any consolation these are very miserable people that trying to upset random Leaf fans gets so much devotion from them.

:laugh: There's a fellah who is an oiler fan and I'm pretty sure he posts more about Matthews than McDavid. Imagine being that insecure about your team when you have the best player in the world.

Reactions: supermann_98

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
:laugh: There's a fellah who is an oiler fan and I'm pretty sure he posts more about Matthews than McDavid. Imagine being that insecure about your team when you have the best player in the world.
My personal favorite is a certain Rangers fan who I'm fairly certain spends 90% of his time posting about the Leafs.

Reactions: Mats13 and Jmo89

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
giphy.gif

*Btw, Please don't post this on the main board (unless It's already too late :sarcasm:)

Man, I heart the game SO much where this video came from. I loved, loved, loved the 2 former # 1OA (and both Americans at that!) going back and forth one-upping each other. I could watch the final 15 minutes of that Leafs/Hawks game over and over and over.

Matthews is on pace for one of the largest Hardware hauls we've seen in years... if he wins 2-3 + the Cup, he goes to #1.
Ah yes, but you just know the McDavid supporters will cry foul/unfair that AM34 has more team depth than the Oilers. Of course, it's not Matthews's fault Oilers management have been bad at drafting/free agent signings/trades for the past decade or so...

All this Selke/Rocket/Hart talk centering around Matthews scares me. I feel it's a jinx. Please hockey gods, don't let AM34 get injured/go on extended scoreless stretch.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
As long as we're winning (because that's the obviously the most important thing), I really hope he does it. Whether that is MVP, or Rocket or Selke, whichever. I can already hear the tsunami of asterisks coming from all the other fanbases though because of a supposed "weak division"
And the shortened season, and blah blah blah ... I'd rather we have team success but it's important for Matthews to also chase individual success like these trophies and hopefully a Hart because it would prove his off-season hard work pays off.

Reactions: zeke

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Even if Matthews is good enough to win the Selke today, which I'm not quite sure he is yet, he won't win one for a few years. That's a reputation award that takes a while to build. They'll keep giving them to Bergeron until they have to give a few to Couturier and then Matthews can start stacking them up. Good thing is that there ain't no reputation needed for the Rocket. And thank goodness the media are starting a Hart narrative early, because it is going to be absolute hell trying to fight through the nonsense of "hurr durr his teammates" as if Draisaitl and Kucherov didn't just win the last two.

Matthews could, no, Matthews will have a lot of major hardware under his belt by the time he's 30. He's just too good. And all those other silly narratives, like attitude problems or he's a diva, or he just doesn't care, they're all going out the window this year. Watching his reactions on the ice and the bench when his teammates score, especially the veterans, it's clear to see that he is passionate about winning right now and in Toronto.

Reactions: saffronleaf

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
if he wins selke and rocket, how can he not win the hart? how is the best goal scorer in the league who is also is the best defensive forward is the not the "most valuable"player? at that point he might have to win the vezina too cuz it would be silly to not win the hart. at least imo.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He's just such a strange choice to hate.

He's pretty much the perfect hockey player.

Haters are just robbing themselves of a true hockey joy.
I admit I hated Lemieux when he came into the league but that's because I was obsessed over Gretzky who was my first ever sport idol. I saw this new guy come into the league and is going point for point with my favorite player and even beating him in league scoring, but then when I watched Lemieux play more and more it was just an awakening, the guy was truly special and I couldn't take my eyes off him when he was on the ice ... and that's how I watch Matthews play.

He's just a joy to watch and I really believe he could score 65+ goal in a full 82 game season. Friedman called him to score 50 this year o_O
50 goals in 55 games would be ridiculous but considering the defense on some teams in our division I would NOT bet against him pulling it off

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
ugh the TSN kiss of death. The same bum station that all offseason talked about how meh Toronto was and how Tavares was a bad contract and now theyre just kissing their asses.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
I would agree if he played on the pk more but his 200 foot game has drastically improved
you dont stick a goalscoring machine in feont of the net to block shots and tire out... we have many other guys for that. keep Matthews in the offensive zone as mich as possible and when ita in our zone be happy he can reverse the momentum

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
you dont stick a goalscoring machine in feont of the net to block shots and tire out... we have many other guys for that. keep Matthews in the offensive zone as mich as possible and when ita in our zone be happy he can reverse the momentum
Oh i agree but to me that's what a mvp is plays all situations

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
This might be controversial, but I will happily take Matthews over McDavid. He is the all around better player and this will show come playoff time. If we didn't have JT at centre and leaned on Matty more he would challenge McDavid on points and the rest imo I give the edge to Matthews he is more complete as a centre.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Oilers fan coming in peace

You guys are talking about Matthews potentially being in the Selke race and having a pretty good 200 foot game. I don’t catch a lot of Leafs games so I was hoping one of you guys could fill me in. What makes him such a good 2 way player? I know he can shoot it like nothing else but the idea of him being good on the other side of the puck has never been on my radar.
He's top 5 in take aways in the league, backchecks and has an active stick in the passing lanes every shift, breaks up cycles along the boards. He's playing an excellent 2 way game. The floater that he came into the league as is nothing more than an antiquated trope now. Selkie level is debateable, but he is absolutely someone I'd be comfortable having on the ice in the last minute of play defending a lead.

Reactions: zeke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad