TSN: Ray Ferraro: "Matthews is a legit MVP candidate"

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
People are going to lose their minds when they see his Selke voting record at the end of the year. When you have colour commentators like Ferraro and Simpson who rave about Matthews' 200 ft. play during every Leaf game they call it sticks in the mind of the viewer.

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Can’t see Matthews getting MVP unless he ups his assists but certainly Selke and Richard are very likely

has there ever been a Richard/Selke winner? That may be the most impressive thing about this. Goal scorers usually aren’t known for defense

Never been done. Closest off the top of my head are Fedorov (3rd goals, 1st Selke) and Sakic (2nd goals, 2nd Selke).

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
People are going to lose their minds when they see his Selke voting record at the end of the year. When you have colour commentators like Ferraro and Cuthbert who rave about Matthews' 200 ft. play during every Leaf game they call it sticks in the mind of the viewer.

Agreed. It's amazing how much I defend Matthews on the main boards. Everyone always says "Matthews is great at scoring goals but give me ________ player who plays a more complete game"

Glad to see the industry recognizes a great player.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Can’t see Matthews getting MVP unless he ups his assists but certainly Selke and Richard are very likely

has there ever been a Richard/Selke winner? That may be the most impressive thing about this. Goal scorers usually aren’t known for defense

Matthews makes quite a few nice passing plays (but I get that he is shoot first a lot) but he has Marner on his line who will just pass back to him lol and Hyman who is great at what he does but is not exactly a "sniper"

Reactions: saffronleaf

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Even Strength

Matthews: 12gms, 18:22toi, 55gl/82pt pace --- (PP: 3:15toi, 21gl/21pt pace)
Marner: 13gms, 17:21toi, 38gl/88pt pace ------- (PP: 3:07toi, 0gl/44pt pace)

McDavid: 15gms, 17:12toi, 27gl/88pt pace -- (PP: 5:06toi, 22gl/60pt pace)
Draisaitl: 15gms, 16:16toi, 16gl/82pt pace --- (PP: 5:10toi, 22gl/49pt pace)

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
giphy.gif

*Btw, Please don't post this on the main board (unless It's already too late :sarcasm:)

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
As much flack as I have given Marner.. He is on a 130P pace this season. Has to be a consideration to how many goals Matthews has this year as well.
Meh not really. He probably has given him a slight boost but I thought willy was just as good at passing to him as well. Guy has always been a goal scoring machine. Back to nylander or brown and hyman days.

He is the kind of guy that just scores on his own.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. It's amazing how much I defend Matthews on the main boards. Everyone always says "Matthews is great at scoring goals but give me ________ player who plays a more complete game"

Glad to see the industry recognizes a great player.
I gave that up a long time ago ... the Leaf haters are unbearable. To them Pasta is a better goal scorer, to them Lindholm has the best wrister in the league (lol), to them Matthews is not a 50 goal scorer because he hasn't actually done it yet, NVM he's paced a 50 goal pace for every year he's played minus his rookie year. Matthews is a gem and we are very lucky to have him

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I gave that up a long time ago ... the Leaf haters are unbearable. To them Pasta is a better goal scorer, to them Lindholm has the best wrister in the league (lol), to them Matthews is not a 50 goal scorer because he hasn't actually done it yet, NVM he's paced a 50 goal pace for every year he's played minus his rookie year. Matthews is a gem and we are very lucky to have him

Agreed fully!

In the thread "best 1st overall since McDavid" I literally just had a poster say Matthews has no 200ft game. Man people are stupid.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

I think a rocket and Selke is enough for the Hart regardless of assists

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He can really build his case in the upcoming Montreal series. The Canadiens are seen as a front runner in the North Division and if the Leafs can continue their dominance and Matthews keeps scoring that sets up well for the next cycle of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->