TSN: Ray Ferraro: "Matthews is a legit MVP candidate"

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Wash away Marners points and Matthews goals and then talk about who’s better.

Matthews is better at literally everything in the game than Marner. Shooting, passing, board play, takeaways, backchecking. Hell if they put Matthews on the pk he’d do it better than Marner.

The gap is growing game by game.

Passing too?! I believe we could leave that one with Marner :laugh:

Reactions: DivInit23

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Matthews has 11 goals and 5 assists in 13 games.

Based on those numbers perhaps Matthews can win both the Rocket Richard and the Cy Young awards this year. :)
Haha you ripped off Anson carter. Matthews can pass well. He just doesn’t think pass and thats good

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Who is he going to pass to? Marner, not a natural goalscorer. Hyman, with all due respects, has stone hands.
Thats neither here nor there. Hyman gets on pucks,Marner sets up plays and Matthews scores goals. They all do what they do really well. It’s not for comparison. It’s for what works.
Hyman comes away with pucks on his stick in every situation on the wall and gets puck to his linemates consistently. He has great hands and strength and lots of things that make the line work.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Wash away Marners points and Matthews goals and then talk about who’s better.

Matthews is better at literally everything in the game than Marner. Shooting, passing, board play, takeaways, backchecking. Hell if they put Matthews on the pk he’d do it better than Marner.

The gap is growing game by game.
Ok I’ll wash that all away. Everyone in our Canadian division is better except Ottawa ha. Seriously you felt it was upon you to slam another player on the team to hop up your favourite. You think funny

Once

Jul 16, 2010
AM34 has 11 genos already and people are mad he has few assists. The dude is developing into a 200ft machine, laying the body, having fun and putting the team on his back quite often. Some people are never satisfied

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
AM34 has 11 genos already and people are mad he has few assists. The dude is developing into a 200ft machine, laying the body, having fun and putting the team on his back quite often. Some people are never satisfied
It's absolutely moronic.
Hyman - Matthews - Marner.

Who TF do you want taking the vast majority of the shots?

Some people.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I would never argue with anyone who says McDavid is better, but I’d rather have Matthews as the all around better player though.

Reactions: Auston 316

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Ok I’ll wash that all away. Everyone in our Canadian division is better except Ottawa ha. Seriously you felt it was upon you to slam another player on the team to hop up your favourite. You think funny

I don’t think it’s a case of favourite or not...yes Mitch PK’s and Auston doesn’t for the most part but if you’re watching 5v5 AM’s defensive game definitely outweighs MM’s maybe cause one is a center and the other isn’t but you can’t deny the difference...AM is back checking helping where he needs to help and generally is always hounding the puck...MM is no slouch across the board granted but AM definitely stands out more defensively than MM does...to say otherwise basically proves you don’t watch the Leafs or are terribly biased

It’s just the truth

Reactions: zeke

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t think it’s a case of favourite or not...yes Mitch PK’s and Auston doesn’t for the most part but if you’re watching 5v5 AM’s defensive game definitely outweighs MM’s maybe cause one is a center and the other isn’t but you can’t deny the difference...AM is back checking helping where he needs to help and generally is always hounding the puck...MM is no slouch across the board granted but AM definitely stands out more defensively than MM does...to say otherwise basically proves you don’t watch the Leafs or are terribly biased

It’s just the truth
Holeeee lol. If you insist :)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Matthews is playing at another level this season. He is the best two way forward in the NHL at the moment.

McDavid is not as good defensively and Bergeron is not as good offensively.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would never argue with anyone who says McDavid is better, but I’d rather have Matthews as the all around better player though.

Never is a long time, you might want to revisit this say a year from now.

I would have agreed with you a year ago but now I'm not sure. Matthews has played at such a high level for quite some time now and shows no signs of letting up. If he stays healthy, watch out.

It's so hard to compare them because they're so different and McDavid will probably always put up more points but Matthews does everything so well ... it's a good thing that I don't need to compare them, I just watch Matthews night after night and so happy that we have him.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
He's certainly having an MVP calibre start but there's a lot of hockey yet to be played. He's also feasted on the Canucks whose D is soft as butter.

I'd certainly put him in the next tier after McDavid.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Like McDavid, Matthews doesn't need anyone around him to produce... just like Crosby or Ovechkin before them. Marner however does imo.

That is the best measure of an elite player with and without other great players.

Mar 26, 2010
How is the Hockey News a Canuck homer?

Btw he was 14th on the TSN list - is that a Canuck homer too...?
Funny enough, this is from the main board, Canucks homers are saying Matthews is barely the 14th best player in the NHL. Apparently the whisky in Vancouver is stronger than 40% :laugh:!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Thats neither here nor there. Hyman gets on pucks,Marner sets up plays and Matthews scores goals. They all do what they do really well. It’s not for comparison. It’s for what works.
Hyman comes away with pucks on his stick in every situation on the wall and gets puck to his linemates consistently. He has great hands and strength and lots of things that make the line work.

It's funny but for years I've been hearing about pairs of forwards working well together. I'm old enough to remember when they used to talk about full lines, three forwards working together and that was the classic combo - a corner man, a playmaker and a finisher. The all-time perfect example for me was Gillies-Trottier-Bossy but I think our top line is just as ideal as an example.

Hyman as a corner man is basically perfect, Gillies was awesome as well.

Trottier was a more rounded player than Marner but as a pure playmaker, Marner is better.

Matthews is a more rounded player then Bossy, as a pure scorer who's better it's too early to tell which is high praise indeed for Matthews as Bossy is one of the greatest snipers ever to play the game.

I love Hyman on that line, I don't think anyone else we have could possibly fit as well, I hope they keep playing together, Hyman gives us a bit of a hometown discount inspiring the others two to do the same down the road and we get to see this trio terrorize the NHL for the next decade.

As Neil Diamond sang - Good times never seemed so good ... :nod:

Funny enough, this is from the main board, Canucks homers are saying Matthews is barely the 14th best player in the NHL. Apparently the whisky in Vancouver is stronger than 40% :laugh:!

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

The "barely" part is the icing on the cake. I must go find that thread and check it out, sounds like comedy gold.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's funny but for years I've been hearing about pairs of forwards working well together. I'm old enough to remember when they used to talk about full lines, three forwards working together and that was the classic combo - a corner man, a playmaker and a finisher. The all-time perfect example for me was Gillies-Trottier-Bossy but I think our top line is just as ideal as an example.

Trottier was a more rounded player than Marner but as a pure playmaker, Marner is better.

Matthews is a more rounded player then Bossy, as a pure scorer who's better it's too early to tell which is high praise indeed for Matthews as Bossy is one of the greatest snipers ever to play the game.

I love Hyman on that line, I don't think anyone else we have could possibly fit as well, I hope they keep playing together, Hyman gives us a bit of a hometown discount inspiring the others two to do the same down the road and we get to see this trio terrorize the NHL for the next decade.

The "barely" part is the icing on the cake. I must go find that thread and check it out, sounds like comedy gold.

It's funny cuz the accepted best line in hockey is Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak who are all equal partners in that line's success.

On a totally unrelated note, last night for the first time ever we saw a Nylander-Matthews-Marner line, and oh boy did they look hot.

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah, they say Matthews is not a top 20 player in the NHL. The one Canuck fan he is not even a top 100 player. They also say Pettersson is the greatest of all time, better than Gretzky.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Haha that doesn’t surprise me. Matthews is a absolute threat all over the ice to not be easy to play against. He put a hit on last night and i forget who it was. Then he was 10 feet away from it tracking a puck. The other guy was still trying to get his balance. He’s a menace in the nicest way :)

Reactions: Hollywood North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->