Confirmed with Link: Ray Emery re-signed to a one year contract (reported to be $1 million)

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
epic emery fail:how it happened...

1 hextall on the phone trying to unload vinny
2 other teams snap up back ups
3 hextall finally remembers he needs goalie
4 too late all decent backups are gone...****ing whooooops...
5 there is only one left (thats because nobody in the entire nhl is Pejorative Slured enough to touch ray emery with a ten foot pole)
6 offer him way less money and he happily takes it.probably because his agents phone wasnt exactly ringing off the hook.apparently some teams scouting departments happened to catch ranger/flyer series...
7 now to put positive spin on this...ray tells everyone the reason he took huge paycut is because hes a standup guy and loves the city,the flyers and steve mason
and hextall tells everyone ''after exhaustive search and behind the scenes bargaining ray emery is clearly the best choice.'' Ray Emery re-signs one yr contract for 1$ million.

Last edited:

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
epic emery fail:how it happened...

1 hextall on the phone trying to unload vinny
2 other teams snap up back ups
3 hextall finally remembers he needs goalie
4 too late all decent backups are gone...****ing whooooops...
5 there is only one left (thats because nobody in the entire nhl is Pejorative Slured enough to touch ray emery with a ten foot pole)
6 offer him way less money and he happily takes it.probably because his agents phone wasnt exactly ringing off the hook.apparently some teams scouting departments happened to catch ranger/flyer series...
7 now to put positive spin on this...ray tells everyone the reason he took huge paycut is because hes a standup guy and loves the city,the flyers and steve mason
and hextall tells everyone after exhaustive search and behind the scenes bargaining ray emery is clearly the best choice.''Ray Emery re-signs one yr contract for 1$ million""
:

Just stupid ..

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Didn't he just have a great season, other than the injury and suspension?
Yes, he led the OHL in SV%. But he only played 35 games, which was a lot less than most of the other top goalies. He also struggled in the Mem Cup, but the entire Knights team played like **** so you can't pin that all on him.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I guess I'm the only guy that is happy about it. I'm perfectly fine with Emery at 1mil for another year.

Same here, but then I was told I must not watch any Flyer games even though I haven't missed one in like ten seasons.

The GM/Former Goalie must not watch much of Emery either. For what he is this is a good one year deal to back up our starter Mason. Emery does not let in that many weak goals like some other back up goalies out there. It is just his quickness and rebound control that hinder him.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
As was mentioned it is possible talked to the other goalies available for similar prices and they weren't interested in his offer (remember the team is currently over the cap) or the team. Though it may be Hextall wanted Emery back over others in that price range.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If Emery was plan A all along, he would have been signed much earlier. I have to imagine that we tried to land another guy and it didn't work out, and that Emery was our fallback.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
If Emery was plan A all along, he would have been signed much earlier. I have to imagine that we tried to land another guy and it didn't work out, and that Emery was our fallback.

I believe, it was reported that he had had great working relationship with both Mason and Reese. And, may be, that was a major point for this signing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Mason is .915 and Emery is .905 for the season, then I'm OK with the signing. Anything less than that has to be considered a failure. It's no good having two goalies who are great buddies if they aren't performing on the ice.

RJ8812*

Saying Emery shouldn't have been in net for Game 3 when Mason has already gone on record saying he was still dealing with headaches then is pretty stupid

Cardds*

Sorry for the late reply but...

Saying Emery shouldn't have been in net for Game 3 when Mason has already gone on record saying he was still dealing with headaches then is pretty stupid
I didn't say Mason should have started Game 3, I said maybe. IMHO though I thought Berube made the right choice not to start him at the time, but the stupid media and lots of fans right here on hfboards were outraged Mason didn't start only after Emery gave up four goals in that game and then saw Mason able to play when he took over for the rest of the 3rd period.

that's a piss-poor rationalization for accepting this signing
How so? Would you rather have Michael Leighton back?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
How so? Would you rather have Michael Leighton back?
well the choices were not either emery or leighton
duh?
they had better options, they stuck with a keeper with a degenerative hip issue who already has obvious problems with side-to-side movement

I'm frankly not as bothered as I was when the signing was announced because it seems pretty obvious now that they're going to be mired in mediocrity for a few years now anyways re: hexy's plan...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Emery is a bad backup who is only going to get worse from here on out, there's no other way around it.

A good backup is a goalie you can rely on to hold the fort for a week or two if need be. Emery? He can generally be relied on to hold the fort for about two periods.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I don't like to sound like I am ripping Emery in the slightest. I have the utmost respect for how much of a warrior he is and his commitment to the game, it's just his physical limitations seem to be weighing him down.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't like to sound like I am ripping Emery in the slightest. I have the utmost respect for how much of a warrior he is and his commitment to the game, it's just his physical limitations seem to be weighing him down.

Yes, absolutely. I really like and admire the guy...as I recall, going for a jog ever again wasn't in the cards for him when his hip died, much less playing a professional sport. He's surely had to put in an incredible amount of work to keep himself at a level where he can do anything, and you can regularly see him battling through his limitations during games.

Unfortunately, that doesn't erase the limitations.

He's definitely a guy I want in the organization when he retires though. Especially since he's had to focus heavily on fundamentals and become a student of his position to make up for his loss of athletic ability...sounds like the makings of a coach to me.

He's also a character guy now...his exile in the KHL, by his account, really knocked him straight.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It also knocked one of the staff on his team straight :laugh:

Honestly the dude deserved it, he kept trying to put the hat on Emery's head when he refused it for whatever reason. :laugh:

If a goalie gets pulled from a game he's already going to be pissed off & possibly on the edge, no need to try to ramp that up by doing something to annoy him some more.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad