Confirmed with Link: Ray Emery re-signed to a one year contract (reported to be $1 million)

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Blinding speed and catlike quickness.

Rangers-Flyers_1.gif

tumblr_n47dumMSrK1skgd7ao1_500.gif

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Not surprising, especially after some younger UFAs chose elsewhere.

I would rather this underwhelming move than overpaying for an old defenseman, though. Standing pat was preferred this year, for me.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Not surprising, especially after some younger UFAs chose elsewhere.

I would rather this underwhelming move than overpaying for an old defenseman, though. Standing pat was preferred this year, for me.

It could be a Robert Esche-Sean Burke type situation, too. The comfort level of the starting goalie is relaxed because of the presence of a familiar backup.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Well that sucks we needed to move on from this guy. But maybe there wasn't a lot of guys interested in a pure backup role that they liked. Either way....meh.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Would have liked to have moved on, Greiss and Montoya both got good deals in this range (Greiss' case exactly the same), but no sense on moving on at the expense of getting worse. The feeling I get is that both tried to move on as well and wound up back at each other. I have to think Emery was eyeing up that Calgary job.

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
I would rather they did this than sighing big bucks for a backup...and no we will not look the same as last year. We have our number 1 goalie and people have to beach about a 1million backup really stop please.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I would rather they did this than sighing big bucks for a backup...and no we will not look the same as last year. We have our number 1 goalie and people have to beach about a 1million backup really stop please.

I refer you to the threads discussing the Leighton resigning for true full-throated howls of rage and indignation. This is, IMHO, level-headed criticism for not doing slightly better at a position of relative weakness when arguably better options were signed for similar contracts.

What would you prefer we discuss today? More on Zepp, an equally disinteresting move?

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

A backup goalie who showed in the playoffs that if the number 1 gets hurt he is not reliable b/c he has a shot hip....

He's ok but any long term injury to Mason and we are assured missing the playoffs.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Would have liked to have moved on, Greiss and Montoya both got good deals in this range (Greiss' case exactly the same), but no sense on moving on at the expense of getting worse. The feeling I get is that both tried to move on as well and wound up back at each other. I have to think Emery was eyeing up that Calgary job.

I don't follow you. Are you saying that Greiss/Montoya would represent a worse potential option than Emery? I agree that bringing in someone like Thomas or Brodeur would have been a worse scenario.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
A backup goalie who showed in the playoffs that if the number 1 gets hurt he is not reliable b/c he has a shot hip....

He's ok but any long term injury to Mason and we are assured missing the playoffs.

Which is why he's a backup in the first place. Also people can't deny the mentorship between Emery and Mason. I don't like how the current team is constructed but because of how Homer handicapped Hexy it is what it is. Now patience is virtue.

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
People need to chill we all knew this was going to happen when hextall took over but I'm a believer in hextall he needs time to sort the mess out.

RJ8812*

Hextall has to clean up Homer's mess and by not handing out any stupid UFA contracts, he's already taking a huge step in the right direction

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I mean that's not really saying much, there's probably only a select few teams in this league that would be capable of weathering their starting goaltender going down for an extended period of time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, cause backup goalies who are starter quality are content to remain backups and make backup money.

NOT!

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
what a huuuuuge ****up. guess hextall didnt watch emery vs rangers.

will never understand not upgrading. never.if last season does not prove how important having a solid backup is nothing will.

easiest problem on roster to straighten out and they **** it up...

dubnyk takes200k LESS.greiss gets taken by pens at exactly SAME money...insane.

guess i was watching different emery last year from everybody that thinks this is no big deal,because the emery i saw left the net half open all ****ing season.

and he got even WORSE as season went along until his horrific performance in the !st rd of playoffs.

gee i sure hope no opposing teams scouts get a hold of that footage...and realize you can simply throw a pass across the slot and deposit it in the WIDE OPEN NET.

gonna be a great season.sure glad hextall had a plan...or wait maybe im wrong and ray got a note from his doctor and hes all better now.

and this is not about spending money we dont have and being stupid.this is about seriously improving a position of need for the SAME or LESS money and being smart.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I mean that's not really saying much, there's probably only a select few teams in this league that would be capable of weathering their starting goaltender going down for an extended period of time.

Selective response. The issue is that he is not a healthy backup..

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Still isn't a Cup team so I guess it doesn't matter at the end of the day...but it would be super nice if we didn't have to worry about working Mason into the ground.

conan-wheel-of-pain-o.gif

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
dubnyk takes200k LESS.greiss gets taken by pens at exactly SAME money...insane.

The Pens backup position is also a lot more attractive than the one here in Philadelphia.
1) Fleury is more likely to faulter than Mason
2) The Pens are more likely to go deep in the playoffs

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's not about the other backups being good, it's that Emery is horrible, which is obvious to anyone who has any clue what they're watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad