Confirmed with Link: Ray Emery re-signed to a one year contract (reported to be $1 million)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
While it's true that few teams can weather losing their starter to injury, I'd say the Flyers are less capable of weathering such an event than almost any other team with Emery.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Selective response. The issue is that he is not a healthy backup..

Well why state the obvious then & use it as some form of criticism?

If Mason went down for an extended amount of time another goalie would be brought in & lucky for us or any other team goalies don't hold much value in trades.

Emery was far down my list as well so this is pretty underwhelming but Hextall struck out on the top options so the pickens was slim it is what it is. It could have been worse believe it or not.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
I was hoping for the same team as last year. Finally a commitment to the future vs this go for broke plan that blows up every year. No conplains

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Well why state the obvious then & use it as some form of criticism?

If Mason went down for an extended amount of time another goalie would be brought in & lucky for us or any other team goalies don't hold much value in trades.

Emery was far down my list as well so this is pretty underwhelming but Hextall struck out on the top options so the pickens was slim it is what it is. It could have been worse believe it or not.

Speculation. And I find it hard to believe that Montoya chose Florida over the Flyers for a measly $50,000 extra. Greiss to Pitt for the same amount and length I can understand; they are much closer to contention than the Flyers.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't follow you. Are you saying that Greiss/Montoya would represent a worse potential option than Emery? I agree that bringing in someone like Thomas or Brodeur would have been a worse scenario.

I'd rather have Greiss or Montoya. And we know with confidence that they're healthy players. Emery, not so, but the Flyers are apparently unconcerned. It's not awful to bring Emery back, I preferred to move on.

Brodeur would be fun for the lulz but they'd wear out quick since he sucks.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Jesus, simmer down people. He's a fine backup. You act like we missed out on the next Lundqvist by not getting Greiss or Montoya. He's familiar and comfortable with Mason, and the team likes him. That's reason enough to be fine with this deal.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
The first year or two is gonna be tough for Hexy because of the unholy mess he was left with. Too many old people on long term deals. Gonna be tough to move those/deal with them. I've accepted this

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
at least it's still just july. if the situation gets ugly mid season it doesnt cost u an arm and a leg to patch up a backup situation. maybe stolarz gets his first look already next year-if mason is out any extended period, i dont expect emery to hold up straight time that's forsure.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
The first year or two is gonna be tough for Hexy because of the unholy mess he was left with. Too many old people on long term deals. Gonna be tough to move those/deal with them. I've accepted this
it really is true
they're set up to be mired in mediocrity for a few years
hopefully they can be truly competitive while claude & the rest of these young forwards are still in their prime...

and seriously, emery is not a capable NHL backup-guy can't even move laterally and he has a aliment that isn't going to improve with age

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Jesus, simmer down people. He's a fine backup. You act like we missed out on the next Lundqvist by not getting Greiss or Montoya. He's familiar and comfortable with Mason, and the team likes him. That's reason enough to be fine with this deal.

Well as long as the team likes him, it doesn't matter that he's an undependable backup. Likability makes you slide quicker from side to side, so I guess that makes sense. :laugh:

The guy is slow, broken, and the team plays noticeably worse in front of him... it's not even like he was cheaper than the other options.

I also notice that the people who defend the bad players always like to exaggerate the criticisms and reactions of their detractors.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I really don't get this as better players went for cheaper. EVERYONE knows his glaring weakness after the nyr series. That said he has an amazing attitude and is such a standup guy now that I'm happy for him and will be on his side till he lets us down

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00