Recalled/Assigned: Rathbone & Podkolzin to Abbtosford; Di Giuseppe Recalled

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Ehhhh...they both need to play, but Podkolzin in particular, is probably too good for that league. They need to play, but they need to be playing NHL minutes more than they need to tool around in the AHL for a bit.
Hopefully he proves he’s too good for it by producing points. Pod needs to show a scoring touch.

It’s all well and good to play NHL minutes but it’s also making him play passive and reverts to defensive play.

I didn’t realize Rathbone could go up and down without waivers. He should’ve been there after the Bear trade imo.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Abbotsford Canucks with games tonight and Wednesday and then back to back on the weekend. Hopefully these two guys get 20-plus minutes of ice-time in every game.

Play them till their tongues are hanging out.....that's what they need after weeks of press-box duty.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hogs & Pods are better than Aman, Lazar, Dries, Joshua etc. but they don’t fit the traditional bottom 6 role. Podkolzin is a better overall player than Hoglander currently is but he needs to work on his offensive creativity and raise his confidence level by producing offensively if he wants to be a regular top 6 player at the NHL level, putting up points in the AHL will be good for his game long term.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hopefully he proves he’s too good for it by producing points. Pod needs to show a scoring touch.

It’s all well and good to play NHL minutes but it’s also making him play passive and reverts to defensive play.

I didn’t realize Rathbone could go up and down without waivers. He should’ve been there after the Bear trade imo.

I feel like with Rathbone, he's really only been kept up because they don't want his agent whining about it. And also, they've had injuries off and on where they probably wanted to keep that "insurance" handy. But yeah...really, he probably should've been sent down when they brought in Stillman and made it clear he was going to slot in above Rathbone on the depth chart.

As for Podkolzin and producing points...ehhh, you'd hope he can produce some offense like that down there, but i'm not really a big believer in the idea that it's all that directly translatable. The modes of offense that work down there, don't always really work at the NHL level. If it gets his confidence back offensively, that'd be nice. But i wouldn't want him going out of his way to work on some sort of "bad habits" that'll get you plenty of points at the AHL level, and the way he's going to produce offense at the NHL level isn't necessarily as the primary catalyst - but in more of a supporting role.

It doesn't help that our farm system is basically trash at developing anything in anyone. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence they're not going to just further derail guys who are really beyond that.

Reactions: alternate

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Miller said that Pod was gonna have a huge year.

He also said that he was going to be more responsible defensively this year.

Maybe I should stop listening to what Miller says.
He didn’t specify in which league.

I actually think Miller’s defensive game is decent as a winger. As a Center I think he just overthinks things. He even says that he does more on natural instinct as a winger.

Reactions: biturbo19

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
He probably hasn't really thought about the KHL much. But now that he's been send to the AHL? We already lost a Russian to the KHL with Tryamkin. Lets see if we can lose 2 of them. Well done management.

Id rather have him struggle though it in the NHL than struggle through it in the AHL. But thats just me.

Yeah we should have put the KHL in Podkolzins mind sooner. That should really help us.

Yikes. Straight to the “But but .. the KHL!” eh?

Who said he’d struggle in the AHL ? It’s the whole point; he should go down there, dominate, and be able to evolve his game not having to worry about lining up against McDavd’s etc.

Podzolkin isn’t a baby. He’s not stupid. His response to this is much more likely “I have to work harder, and improve” not “I’m going to run to another league…. …coz…. … I hate chasing my dreams?”

Bizarre thought process there.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The only guy I’ve ever seen talk to Kuzmenko and is his translator is Podz. This demotion is going to go over well with re signing Kuz.

Is our 10th overall a bust?

We can’t bust out on a 5th, 6th and 10th overall in a decade can we?

Any chance Podz is mad and wanting to go to the KHL?

I need all 3 of these

1) No.

2) Not yet.

3) No.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
If only we were in a position to let these players learn in the NHL and live with the mistakes they inevitably make.

Oh well!

You realize it’s possible to learn in the AHL right?

It can be a challenge to implement systems and strategy having the Crosby’s / McDavids against you Vs AHL fodder.

People losing their minds over what is a clear sensible move. Lmao

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
About friggin time!

These guys give procrastination a bad name. Just get off your butts and do something and don't take a 100 years to do it

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You realize it’s possible to learn in the AHL right?

It can be a challenge to implement systems and strategy having the Crosby’s / McDavids against you Vs AHL fodder.

People losing their minds over what is a clear sensible move. Lmao
I have my doubts about the AHL

Not a whole lot of systems play down there

Reactions: biturbo19

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Yikes. Straight to the “But but .. the KHL!” eh?

Who said he’d struggle in the AHL ? It’s the whole point; he should go down there, dominate, and be able to evolve his game not having to worry about lining up against McDavd’s etc.

Podzolkin isn’t a baby. He’s not stupid. His response to this is much more likely “I have to work harder, and improve” not “I’m going to run to another league…. …coz…. … I hate chasing my dreams?”

Bizarre thought process there.

Depends how long Podkolzin is expected to be in the AHL. If it's for a significant amount of time it wouldn't suprise me if he requested a loan back to SKA.

Reactions: Brookbank

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Depends how long Podkolzin is expected to be in the AHL. If it's for a significant amount of time it wouldn't suprise me if he requested a loan back to SKA.
Well if they said, “down to the ahl for you for the rest of the year”. But even then, he and his wife get to live in the same house, on the same money, working towards the same dream…

What would be the net benefit for him, considering when he did play for SKA he wasn’t exactly getting alot of minutes or responsibilities.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Well if they said, “down to the ahl for you for the rest of the year”. But even then, he and his wife get to live in the same house, on the same money, working towards the same dream…

What would be the net benefit for him, considering when he did play for SKA he wasn’t exactly getting alot of minutes or responsibilities.
Probably earning more money.

Living costs a fraction of what they are in the BC.

Being close to family.

edit. Just my speculation, but I don't see Podz as someone who would bolt to KHL. I think he is dead set on making it in the NHL.

Reactions: Nucker101

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Being close to family.

edit. Just my speculation, but I don't see Podz as someone who would bolt to KHL. I think he is dead set on making it in the NHL.
Those are all just stabs in the dark.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There's no way Podkolzin would just leave to the KHL, even in the offseason. He'd have his agent ask for a trade first.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Being close to family.

Yeah, and the state of the situation in Russia right now, I'd imagine people are looking for a way to avoid going back to Russia more than anything.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Cool beans.

Can you give an example of an acceptable answer.
Actually knowing if one of those things is true before worrying if they would be a reason he would go back to russia instead of the ahl.

He could not want to live nearer family, not make any more as a loan player and cost of living in moscow might actually suck comparitive to his current financial situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad