Jets end of 2023-24 season media availability

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
There is no mystery to Connor/Scheifele. Who scored in the playoffs? Not the fake stats God. I'm not against a change up in lines when needed but CSV is a good line.
Three seasons' worth of data says that when Connor and Scheifele are on the ice together, the Jets get outscored (and it's even worse with Vilardi there with them, albeit only for this season for obvious reasons). These are actual goals, by the way, so surely you'd see them as liabilities on the ice?

Or, if you still stick to the idea that playoffs mean anything, could I interest you in trading Morrissey and Vilardi for Brady Skjei and Evgeny Kuznetsov, which would add playoff scoring to our roster? You'd like those real stats, right? Surely? Could probably load up on playoff production and do Connor for DeBrusk, while you're at it.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Why are people so confused that Ehelrs isn't playing 20 minutes a night? It's a pretty rare season he doesn't miss a significant portion. This year he played a full season buuuut someone posted he was playing with a significant injury. Anyone ever thought that maybe Ehlers contributing for 16m/game for 90-100% is far better than 20m/game for 40 games?

Three seasons' worth of data says that when Connor and Scheifele are on the ice together, the Jets get outscored (and it's even worse with Vilardi there with them, albeit only for this season for obvious reasons). These are actual goals, by the way, so surely you'd see them as liabilities on the ice?

Or, if you still stick to the idea that playoffs mean anything, could I interest you in trading Morrissey and Vilardi for Brady Skjei and Evgeny Kuznetsov, which would add playoff scoring to our roster? You'd like those real stats, right? Surely? Could probably load up on playoff production and do Connor for DeBrusk, while you're at it.
Who else scored in the playoffs? What are the options? Adding the 0 goals of Ehlers to the top line? Can he handle the minutes for 82 games? Again, year after year he shows he can't.

Half of your post is you beating up a straw man. You lose.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A few thoughts about the media interviews, with random additional editorial comments:

Chevy-I thought this was one of his better interviews. He has done a good job dealing away unhappy players, but has made his share of mistakes and has some major challenges ahead. He needs a better 1C if he's going to win in the playoffs and another puck-moving D. The opportunity cost of keeping Stanley has been significant.

Bones-He was dignified and restrained, likely because he knows he is retiring and wants to leave on good terms with everyone.

Lowry and Morrissey-I consider them co-captains and they showed why. Along with Helle they are the core.

Scheifele-He is not very--umm--cerebral and not a natural leader, so I would not judge his interview too harshly. He is probably fine as a 2C or 1RW but we won't win a SC with him as a 1C.

Connor-OK interview. Gifted scorer, but it's not clear to me that he will stay with this team long-term. Chevy needs to keep an eye on this next season.

Tofolli and Monahan--gone and likely gone. Monahan is the better of the 2, but will likely get more than he is worth as a UFA.

DeMelo-Great guy, wants to be here and is our only reliable RD. Re-sign him, please, unless he asks for the moon.

Dillon-he outperformed my expectations and is a great leader on and off the ice, but not sure we can afford him. Also, we need to give Samberg and/or Ville opportunities as 2LD. And Chisholm....oops, nvm...

Schmidt gave a good interview, but is a very expensive third pair D. Pionk was quiet and is a liability for another year. I would not be surprised to see the team take a step back next year if they can't be traded or bought out.

Helle--His interview was hilarious and I've gotten used to the bravado--it's his secret sauce to keep his confidence up. He is top 5 in the world at his position and I don't believe that this playoff loss was on him. He just didn't win it for us alone. Short sample sizes for goalies are not predictive--people who study the game know that.

Ehlers-Sounded like he is gone, but I suppose anything is possible. I just don't understand the under-utilization of a player with his net positive impact on team scoring and goal differential. It's the hockey equivalent of constructive dismissal and is one of many puzzling utilization decisions that, frankly, has made it hard for me to cheer for the team.

Relatedly, I notice some long-time Jets HF posters have been very quiet the last few days. I respect the restraint and probably should be following that strategy myself. There is still lots of work to do in Jetsland. Winning back the fans, getting new coaches and giving opportunity to young (and veteran) players based on merit would be a good start, but, to bring it back to the guy with the most work to do in the off-season, it's a process....:rolleyes:
Agree with alot of this but the team definitely showed it could compete with Scheifele our number 1 center, what we need is a second center that can put up a point a game because the only way we are getting a very good number 1 center is a top 3 draft pick. And we would have to time being shity with a great center being available that next season, not easy to do at all.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Why are people so confused that Ehelrs isn't playing 20 minutes a night? It's a pretty rare season he doesn't miss a significant portion. This year he played a full season buuuut someone posted he was playing with a significant injury. Anyone ever thought that maybe Ehlers contributing for 16m/game for 90-100% is far better than 20m/game for 40 games?

Who else scored in the playoffs? What are the options? Adding the 0 goals of Ehlers to the top line? Can he handle the minutes for 82 games? Again, year after year he shows he can't.
I really like Ehlers, love the speed he brings to the team but man 4 goals in 36 playoff games just isn't good enough from your second sometimes first line winger.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I really like Ehlers, love the speed he brings to the team but man 4 goals in 36 playoff games just isn't good enough from your second sometimes first line winger.
I don't feel there are many excuses for the entire 2nd line that's 80+ regular season goals getting 2 from Toffoli in the playoffs. Pretty sure one of those came from him on the 4th line.

But yeah, people blame Scheifele and Connor.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Half of your post is you beating up a straw man. You lose.
You're the one obsessing over a sample size of five games. I presented you with equally long sample sizes of playoff production from Skjei and Kuznetsov - why are you complaining? You should be happy to agree with my proposal, as it literally lines up with what you consider more important: a singular flash in the pan over years' worth of evidence. Did you suddenly get second thoughts about your hockey knowledge?

Reactions: hn777

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Agree with alot of this but the team definitely showed it could compete with Scheifele our number 1 center, what we need is a second center that can put up a point a game because the only way we are getting a very good number 1 center is a top 3 draft pick. And we would have to time being shity with a great center being available that next season, not easy to do at all.
Yes, but what I said was we could not win a SC with him as our 1C. That is a tall order for any 1C and requires a mix of skill, leadership and other intangibles. I have long said that we have 2/3 of the SC trifecta--Helle, Morrissey and X at forward (preferably, but not necessarily at C)

If I am right, the Jets are in trouble, for the reasons you state, so I hope I am wrong.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
You're the one obsessing over a sample size of five games. I presented you with equally long sample sizes of playoff production from Skjei and Kuznetsov - why are you complaining? You should be happy to agree with my proposal, as it literally lines up with what you consider more important: a singular flash in the pan over years' worth of evidence. Did you suddenly get second thoughts about your hockey knowledge?
I'm obsessing? Do you ever write without derogatory comments? Then doubling down on the staw man is another great look. You don't sound as smart as you think with your snarky attitude.

You have presented zero hockey knowledge. Not even anything to discuss. Just whining.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'm obsessing? Do you ever write without derogatory comments? Then doubling down on the staw man is another great look. You don't sound as smart as you think with your snarky attitude.

You have presented zero hockey knowledge. Not even anything to discuss. Just whining.
If you think your one playoff series is an equally reliable sample of data w/r/t assessing player performance than the 200+ games that I referred to, what discussion are we supposed to have here?

Based on those same five games you're relying on here, the upcoming Vezina winner was worse than any starter goalie in the entire league this year. Don't you think it's ridiculous to ignore the larger sample here, or should we actually believe that Helle was worse than the Korpisalos and Söderbloms of the league? This is the exact same logic by which you consider Connor and Scheifele a good combination. You can't have it both ways.

And this isn't even getting to what you (and many others) think of Ehlers, as you literally have to go out of your way to find an approach to see him as anything other than the best Jets' forward of the last three years. Not a single other Jet generates as much offense when on the ice, both expected and actual: the other "top candidates" aren't even close to what he puts together. If you're going to dump him over any amount of playoff series, I again ask you: what discussion are we supposed to have here?

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
If you think your one playoff series is an equally reliable sample of data w/r/t assessing player performance than the 200+ games that I referred to, what discussion are we supposed to have here?

Based on those same five games you're relying on here, the upcoming Vezina winner was worse than any starter goalie in the entire league this year. Don't you think it's ridiculous to ignore the larger sample here, or should we actually believe that Helle was worse than the Korpisalos and Söderbloms of the league? This is the exact same logic by which you consider Connor and Scheifele a good combination. You can't have it both ways.

And this isn't even getting to what you (and many others) think of Ehlers, as you literally have to go out of your way to find an approach to see him as anything other than the best Jets' forward of the last three years. Not a single other Jet generates as much offense when on the ice, both expected and actual: the other "top candidates" aren't even close to what he puts together. If you're going to dump him over any amount of playoff series, I again ask you: what discussion are we supposed to have here?
Super, more straw men i dont have to defend.

Here's a tip. I tell you what I think then you tell me what you think. I don't need you to tell me what I think. I don't have to defend what you want me to defend.

But we are past that. I'm out.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Skjei is an UFA after this season.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Ehlers was shit in the playoffs and anyone with a pair of eyes can see it. You don't need excel to tell you that.

37 Playoff games 4 goals

Get the heck out of hear with your rose colored glasses

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
It's tough though. Not a lot of teams are dangling true top 4 RHD out there.

Makar, Bouchard, Fox, Dobson, Weegar, Carlson, Letang, Doughty, McAvoy, Faber, Burns, Seider, Durzi, Andersson, Montour, Pietrangelo, Jones, Faulk, Parayko, Schultz, Manson, Trouba, Kesselring, Nemec, Chatfield, Savard, Schneider, Carlo all aren't being moved. Most guys outside of that list aren't worth trading or signing as they aren't an upgrade over what we have.

You could maybe try and sign Sean Walker, but damn near every other team will be making him offers in free agency if he gets there. You might be able to pry Pullock or Severson from their respective teams but both have full NTC's.

Yeah who knows how things go. I think he's likely top 6 but I'm not going to say for sure as this team doesn't always make the right choices.

The sobering reality. We are in tough with this aspect with the RHD yet people will exclaim anger - chevy doesn’t have a lot to work with

Wish we drafted someone other than Trouba.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
It's tough though. Not a lot of teams are dangling true top 4 RHD out there.

Makar, Bouchard, Fox, Dobson, Weegar, Carlson, Letang, Doughty, McAvoy, Faber, Burns, Seider, Durzi, Andersson, Montour, Pietrangelo, Jones, Faulk, Parayko, Schultz, Manson, Trouba, Kesselring, Nemec, Chatfield, Savard, Schneider, Carlo all aren't being moved. Most guys outside of that list aren't worth trading or signing as they aren't an upgrade over what we have.

You could maybe try and sign Sean Walker, but damn near every other team will be making him offers in free agency if he gets there. You might be able to pry Pullock or Severson from their respective teams but both have full NTC's.

Yeah who knows how things go. I think he's likely top 6 but I'm not going to say for sure as this team doesn't always make the right choices.
Seider would be the #1 target on that list. You'd have to pay a heavy price for him, but we are not getting stronger on D without making a big move; unless of course Salomonsson magically adapts to the NHL and follows an upward trajectory. (Not impossible mind you).

There is a good chance we lose both Demelo and Dillon. We could replace those guys internally, but we need to make a move if we want a top 4 RD.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Someone needs to draw this to the attention of TNSE --

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Pittsburgh Penguins fired assistant coach Todd Reirden on Friday, just over two weeks after the organization missed out on the playoffs for a second straight season.

Reirden was in charge of Pittsburgh's power play. The Penguins struggled while on the man advantage all season despite having a star-studded unit that included Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang and Erik Karlsson. Pittsburgh converted on just 15% of its power play opportunities, 30th in the 32-team NHL.

“Mike Sullivan and I have spent time over the past two weeks evaluating the coaching staff, and although these decisions are never easy, we agree that this change was in the best interest of the team moving forward," general manager Kyle Dubas said in a statement.

The firing ends Reirden's second stint with the organization. He served as an assistant in Pittsburgh from 2010-14 before moving on to Washington. He spent two years as head coach of the Capitals from 2018-20 before returning to the Penguins.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Yeah, I remember the Trotz go round. But when Trotz finally told the Jets no thanks (June, 2022), Cassidy had already signed with Vegas and Montgomery was again in alcohol rehab. I'm not sure who would "widely report" that the Jets were looking at those two.
Please check your facts. Monty was not in any type of rehab in June of 2022. He had just finished a season as the assistant coach of the St. Louis Blues. The day after his contract expired with the Blues he signed with the Bruins. June 30, 2022. Bones signed with the Jets on July 3.

I had long suggested Monty as a coaching candidate for the Jets. Before he even took the Dallas job. He fits TNSE credentials as having been associated with the organization in the past briefly as a player.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
It was widely reported that the Jets were looking at Cassidy and Montgomery and I'm not even going to get into the Trotz merry go round
There was no merry go round, Trotz was going to manage the Predators. It was inevitable.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The sobering reality. We are in tough with this aspect with the RHD yet people will exclaim anger - chevy doesn’t have a lot to work with

Wish we drafted someone other than Trouba.
The fact that trouba was still on the board was a miracle... he gave us some good years - maybe we should have tried to lock him down at 6-7m instead of bridge...

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Please check your facts. Monty was not in any type of rehab in June of 2022. He had just finished a season as the assistant coach of the St. Louis Blues. The day after his contract expired with the Blues he signed with the Bruins. June 30, 2022. Bones signed with the Jets on July 3.

I had long suggested Monty as a coaching candidate for the Jets. Before he even took the Dallas job. He fits TNSE credentials as having been associated with the organization in the past briefly as a player.
Associated Press reported he was in a "rehab setting" for alcohol abuse dated June 22, 2022.

Speaking of Associated Press. From today's wire -

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Pittsburgh Penguins fired assistant coach Todd Reirden on Friday, just over two weeks after the organization missed out on the playoffs for a second straight season.

Reirden was in charge of Pittsburgh's power play. The Penguins struggled while on the man advantage all season despite having a star-studded unit that included Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang and Erik Karlsson. Pittsburgh converted on just 15% of its power play opportunities, 30th in the 32-team NHL.

“Mike Sullivan and I have spent time over the past two weeks evaluating the coaching staff, and although these decisions are never easy, we agree that this change was in the best interest of the team moving forward," general manager Kyle Dubas said in a statement.

The firing ends Reirden's second stint with the organization. He served as an assistant in Pittsburgh from 2010-14 before moving on to Washington. He spent two years as head coach of the Capitals from 2018-20 before returning to the Penguins.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad