Recalled/Assigned: Rathbone & Podkolzin to Abbtosford; Di Giuseppe Recalled

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
He probably hasn't really thought about the KHL much. But now that he's been send to the AHL? We already lost a Russian to the KHL with Tryamkin. Lets see if we can lose 2 of them. Well done management.
Yeah, I don't think a draft-age Russian – and I don't mean hockey draft here – is going to be in such a rush to return home given the geopolitical context right now.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Yeah, I don't think a draft-age Russian – and I don't mean hockey draft here – is going to be in such a rush to return home given the geopolitical context right now.
There is no draft in Russia. There is a reservist callup.

There is actually more roster spots opening up in the KHL because of the situation because some foreign players are leaving teams

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i have to think this was discussed with podkolzin and rathbone and/or their agents and is temporary? maybe not rathbone but i think the canucks would trade podzolkin before sending him to the ahl for an extended period

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I’m glad podz is in Abby. Let him get some major minutes there. He will be back soon enough.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
This is a situation where having the team in Abby pays dividends. Tougher decision imo if we were sending Podz to Utica. Hopefully he can dominate a couple games and find his confidence.

Rathbone needs to play, but I don't want him to focus on points. He's shown he can produce at the AHL level. His focus needs to be on defending. As much potential as he has, he's simply not one of our top 6 options right now, so send him down and give him the heavy defensive minutes.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
The only guy I’ve ever seen talk to Kuzmenko and is his translator is Podz. This demotion is going to go over well with re signing Kuz.

Is our 10th overall a bust?

We can’t bust out on a 5th, 6th and 10th overall in a decade can we?

Any chance Podz is mad and wanting to go to the KHL?

I need all 3 of these answers.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
He probably hasn't really thought about the KHL much. But now that he's been send to the AHL? We already lost a Russian to the KHL with Tryamkin. Lets see if we can lose 2 of them. Well done management.

Id rather have him struggle though it in the NHL than struggle through it in the AHL. But thats just me.

Yeah we should have put the KHL in Podkolzins mind sooner. That should really help us.
Bruce is trying to make the playoffs and they have both sucked. Two options. Rot in the press box or play top minutes in the A. If Podkolzin is so soft that he bolts over this then he can beat it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only guy I’ve ever seen talk to Kuzmenko and is his translator is Podz. This demotion is going to go over well with re signing Kuz.

Is our 10th overall a bust?

We can’t bust out on a 5th, 6th and 10th overall in a decade can we?

Any chance Podz is mad and wanting to go to the KHL?

I need all 3 of these answers.
I suspect that Podkolzin's demotion to Abbotsford is basically a conditioning assignment. At least it better be. Because my reading of the Canucks list of salaries on 'Cap Friendly' shows that on his ELC, Podz makes $935,000 for playing in the NHL; but his salary plummets to $70,000 in the minors. That's a big financial hit.

Rathbone meantime is guaranteed $750,000 whether he plays in Vancouver or Abbotsford. So he can clearly afford to spend more time playing in the AHL.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Hoglander is waiver exempt for 10 more games.
Gotta think Hoglander knows his job will be on the line if Pearson is ready within 10 games.

He has a good opportunity on that line; he needs to deliver some scoring and two play in order to force managements hand. Let’s hope he can do it or else he’s next to the minors.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
i have to think this was discussed with podkolzin and rathbone and/or their agents and is temporary? maybe not rathbone but i think the canucks would trade podzolkin before sending him to the ahl for an extended period

I would imagine that, at least Rathbone's agent asked for them to let him play ice hockey this season.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ehhhh...they both need to play, but Podkolzin in particular, is probably too good for that league. They need to play, but they need to be playing NHL minutes more than they need to tool around in the AHL for a bit.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
This is fine

Hoglander is next if he doesnt smarten up. His scoring or lack of isnt a problem he needs to be smarter with the puck in all three zones

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This is fine

Hoglander is next if he doesnt smarten up. His scoring or lack of isnt a problem he needs to be smarter with the puck in all three zones
If only we were in a position to let these players learn in the NHL and live with the mistakes they inevitably make.

Oh well!

Reactions: Orr4Norris

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
:dunno:

i think this is common for players to get sent down if not performing / no waivers? good teams do it too?
Are you suggesting we are not a good team?!

It's our time.
1669742187812.png

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Lol you caught me..

Take Tomasino for example.. very good last year, hasnt been called up once .. do we thinj it will hurt him long term?

I think hoglander should be down instead of pod but meh

We should be thinking long term.

Instead we are just trying to win the next game and sneak in to the playoffs.

It would be best for us longterm to give Rathbone a run and see if there is a NHL D man there.
Let Hogs and Pods play through their production slumps.

Instead its more of the same reactionary short term planning, where a handful of games decides what we will do at the TDL. Ugh...

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
We should be thinking long term.

Instead we are just trying to win the next game and sneak in to the playoffs.

It would be best for us longterm to give Rathbone a run and see if there is a NHL D man there.
Let Hogs and Pods play through their production slumps.

Instead its more of the same reactionary short term planning, where a handful of games decides what we will do at the TDL. Ugh...
i completely relate to the fear of winning just enough to be meh and miss.. but, these two things can be mutually exclusive and run concurrently - the two things being making the best decisions you feel are correct regarding young players' progress and long term outlook and win as many games as you can in the short term.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
i completely relate to the fear of winning just enough to be meh and miss.. but, these two things can be mutually exclusive and run concurrently - the two things being making the best decisions you feel are correct regarding young players' progress and long term outlook and win as many games as you can in the short term.

They didnt do that.

Rathbone has what 2 games this year.

Podz doesnt need AHL time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad