Injury Report: Rasmussen takes shot to knee, out indefinitely

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I can recall him playing second goalie when things get super scrambly in the crease in the past. Without zeroing in on one case in particular, I don't have a problem with it. Not a ton of defenseman I would trust to do that, but Seider I trust. He's got the IQ and track record for me. Once the goalie is flopping around, he's half useless anyway. Kinda like the goalies on this forum half the time.
yeah I dont have a specific example to show. I have no problem when things get scrambly. I'm referring to when he's in front of Husso and drops to try and make a kick save on the initial shot. He's done it multiple times and I don't think it's the best play.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
yeah I dont have a specific example to show. I have no problem when things get scrambly. I'm referring to when he's in front of Husso and drops to try and make a kick save on the initial shot. He's done it multiple times and I don't think it's the best play.
I'll have to watch more closely moving forward. That boy has an amazing eye though. I kinda want to again just default to "I trust the kid, he's that special," but I'll watch.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
For a defenseman, not blocking too many shots looks like one of two things. Either you're suggesting that Seider intentionally elects bad positioning and give opponents clean looks on the goalie, which is a no good, very bad thing to do. Or that Seider should get in the habit of pretending to block shots and then jump out of he way at the last second and shout "OLE!" like a matador just to play mind games on the shooter but also limit the amount of shots blocked. Nothing like screening your own goalie and not following through with the block.
He can watch and study Lidstrom.
I had no specific poster in mind when I wrote that, it was a general reply to a number of posts I've read recently.

Seider is doing fine out there, he's good at blocking shots, and he shouldn't back off on that endeavor because some fear he'll get hurt. I just think it's weird how often, mainly in GDTs, I've seen posts advising Moritz Seider on how to play defense in the NHL lately.
If Rasmussen is out for 2 months and Bertuzzi was out twice then something is wrong.
Maltby was blocking shots so did Yzerman. But I can't remember they got injured.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He can watch and study Lidstrom.

If Rasmussen is out for 2 months and Bertuzzi was out twice then something is wrong.
Maltby was blocking shots so did Yzerman. But I can't remember they got injured.

Blocking shots and getting hurt is not some indictment on a player. Anyone who blocks shots is at risk to get hurt, doesn't matter your skill or read of the play. The puck is getting shot at extreme speeds at body parts that have very little protection. Not like Yzerman and Maltby and others were just so skilled at it they knew where exactly to take it without getting hurt. When players go to block shots they are just hoping to block the puck.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, Maltby blocking shots face first ... can't imagine what could possibly go wrong there.

But anyhow .... OLE!!!

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

I mean, this is what accelerated the trades to hronek and bertuzzi.

obviously yzerman knew before everyone, so he decided to trade a couple guys for what we need before the news comes out because people may try to lower the compensation for those two players.

Oct 18, 2006
The fact that we haven’t had an actual proper update other than “looks like he‘s done for the season“ is so frustrating. I just don’t understand it. Is every club the same?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The fact that we haven’t had an actual proper update other than “looks like he‘s done for the season“ is so frustrating. I just don’t understand it. Is every club the same?
I don't know, but there are many posters on this board who follow the NHL and other teams much closer than I do. But I would like to know too.

Reactions: Filppula

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't know, but there are many posters on this board who follow the NHL and other teams much closer than I do. But I would like to know too.

Depends on the market. We might hear less routine updates than a team like the Rangers or Leafs, but for teams in nontraditional markets like Florida or Arizona, there can be complete radio silence at times about topics you'd expect to be at the forefront.

It's really more a product of how much bandwidth and access the beat writers have with the team.

And in this particular instance with Ras, my educated guess is that they are not really sure about a timeline yet and are probably weighing out treatment options as he heals. It's not uncommon to wait and see how things look before opting for a surgery, for example.

Reactions: Filppula

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Depends on the market. We might hear less routine updates than a team like the Rangers or Leafs, but for teams in nontraditional markets like Florida or Arizona, there can be complete radio silence at times about topics you'd expect to be at the forefront.

It's really more a product of how much bandwidth and access the beat writers have with the team.

And in this particular instance with Ras, my educated guess is that they are not really sure about a timeline yet and are probably weighing out treatment options as he heals. It's not uncommon to wait and see how things look before opting for a surgery, for example.
Thanks.

I don't really care or think that the organisation red wings are obliged to report to me anything else but the date when a player is due back.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

He is done until July according to puck pedia website which seems like they are on top of that sort of thing. That is what it said on there the other day in regards to expected return date. They have a similar thing for Pysyk's return date which is the only place before the other day, that I had seen anything about him.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Thanks.

I don't really care or think that the organisation red wings are obliged to report to me anything else but the date when a player is due back.

Got to remember even media people like Elliotte Friedman say that Steve is one of the tighest lipped GMs in the league so info is always going to be hard to come by with him. Like Bench said, if Ras was in TO or Mtl or even the Flames, Canucks, Oilers this would already be out there as there is just too much interest and people digging in hockey mad markets. The Wings are not great right now, so I think there is less digging into lesser level players like Rasmussen, especially since the season is close to done for us and we aren't successful.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
At this point, it is all about what is best to prepare Rasmussen for next season. The physics of big men and knees is usually inversely proportional. No reason to take any chances.

I guess it is why game reality shows are so popular in this country. People feel the need to know every detail about others. You watched the game, Rasmussen sustained a severe injury. The importance of this season in now over, look toward the draft and build for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad