Rasmussen placed on LTIR... Sent to GR for conditioning

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
They didn't gamble on anything. I'm willing to bet they'd start him up again if they were to do it over.

Exactly.

Him learning little by destroying lesser competition versus developing in the NHL isn't a gamble.

On top of that, I don't think the organization expected Rasmussen to have anything but a modest NHL debut. I think the theory behind their handling of Rasmussen was that (1) he is so far ahead of his CHL peers physically that you don't want him relying on his size/strength advantage to produce, thus picking up bad habits and being shell-shocked further that a couple dominant CHL seasons didn't carry over to pro hockey, and (2) that it made sense to expedite his NHL learning curve so that (a) his bumbling rookie season coincided with both a write-off year for the Wings and one where their lack of forward depth meant he'd see reasonable minutes, and (b) they could spread out the number of guys making their NHL debuts over a longer span of seasons.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The thing is, it hasn't hurt them much (certainly not as much as us) because they've done such a good job most of the time at most other things. Between their ability to identify when to sell a player high or buy low, their willingness to trade a player despite his talent/hype/significance to the organization, and their strong drafting/pro scouting that has given them the excess talent necessary to make big trades, they've found ways to address their weak spots.

Steve certainly isn't flawless, but he sure is a versatile GM.
THIS is huge right here.
All of these bad contracts are bad, yes, but they aren't necessarily handicapping the rebuild. We have a good amount of cap space thanks to the fact we don't have many remarkable players and Larkin signed a team friendly deal. The only reason they're causing us grief is because Holland and co. refuse to send down guys like Daley for guys who are much more deserving of a spot.
This is probably the most immediate benefit we'll see if Yzerman becomes GM. Whether or not we re-sign Jensen won't matter because if Cholowski and Hronek are better than Daley and Ericsson they will get those spots.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Between their ability to identify when to sell a player high or buy low, their willingness to trade a player despite his talent/hype/significance to the organization, and their strong drafting/pro scouting that has given them the excess talent necessary to make big trades

And that is why Yzerman will likely ruffle some feathers, if he returns, when he moves out some RFAs as well.

Reactions: NickH8

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
And that is why Yzerman will likely ruffle some feathers, if he returns, when he moves out some RFAs as well.

Feathers got ruffled and yet he was still able to get the big boys to buy in. I mean, he played hardball with Stamkos, gave tough love to Drouin, didn’t play favorites with his own players when it came to being the architect for Team Canada, and didnt move any of them who had a problem with it until he got a fair return.

I think a big reason none of those problems came back to haunt him is because he was willing to ruffle feathers regardless of a players’ stature (no pun intended, Marty) if he thought it was for the better of the team overall. He didn’t allow himself to be held over a barrel by a guy who he didn’t think earned it, right or wrong, and it seemed to earn him the respect of his players. The biggest issue he’s had since Stammer almost left is what? Dotchin being a fatty? From here, it sure looks like that initial turmoil set a beneficial precedent, but I guess we’ll find out.

Either way, I’d rather a GM ruffle the feathers of a star for the better of the team than be so submissive that he gives career grinders 7 year deals at high rates with NTCs to boot. (And with how insular the Wings are with their internal drama, query whether giving out fat deals to chumps to the detriment of the team wouldn’t quietly ruffle the feathers of others in that locker room just as much as not naming one of your team’s stars a top 15 forward for his country would).

Also, just in case we go down the “taxes and sunshine” road, Florida and Texas have never seen the kind of sweetheart deals and star bridge deals that’ve been coming out of Tampa, and the tax benefits over US states outside of Cali and NY are greatly exaggerated. ($8.5M in Tampa is just $9.3M in Michigan).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Bummer... I wanted him to play for GR in the playoffs

I think they want a full summer in the gym. Rasmussen putting on 10 to 15 lbs is probably better for him than that playoff run. Especially since he has missed his last two off-seasons nursing wrist problems.

Plus he has to wait for Tri-City to be out and Tri-City is currently a low seed, but put Rasmussen on them and all of a sudden they could be advancing. You cannot promise when he would show up in the AHL.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
I think they want a full summer in the gym. Rasmussen putting on 10 to 15 lbs is probably better for him than that playoff run. Especially since he has missed his last two off-seasons nursing wrist problems.

Plus he has to wait for Tri-City to be out and Tri-City is currently a low seed, but put Rasmussen on them and all of a sudden they could be advancing. You cannot promise when he would show up in the AHL.
Yeah probably makes sense

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Blash also said his plan is to use Ras more at center over the next 20 games to see how he handles that role. It's not going to be every night, but he will try him there.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Excellent decision. This extends his summer by 4-6 weeks to work on adding 20 lbs over the summer. He will never be successful at this level without significantly more strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad