Rasmussen placed on LTIR... Sent to GR for conditioning

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Or Points, Johnsons, Kucherovs. You do realize that 3 of the top 5 scores on that team were players Detroit could have drafted or signed had they had better scouting.
yes , improving scouting is must

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Ras has to be assigned to Tri-City if he does not stay with the Wings (if the Wings decide to even make this happen) at any time of the season. I believe Ras can go back and forth between the Wings and Tri-City if needed. When the Wings season is done, the Wings (if they want to) can assign Ras to Tri-City for their playoff run and he stays there until the Americans season is over. If the Griffins are still in playoffs after the Americans are done, then Ras can be sent to GR on an ATO contract and be on the Griffins playoff roster. That is how I understand this.

If he's under contract with the Red Wings, I don't think an ATO is needed. That would be for guys that don't have a pro deal yet, or have signed an NHL contract that doesn't start till the next season (IE when Larkin played in GR).

Also, as per the CHL/NHL agreement, if Rasmussen is sent to Tri-City, he can't be re-called unless it's a "3rd emergency condition", which basically means the Wings have so many forwards out, they've already recalled 2 forwards on emergency from the AHL/ECHL. There's also a rule that says NHL teams can no longer emergency re-call CHL players after March 1st.

It seems like one exception to a paper up and down at the deadline is a player returning from a loan to another league after their teams season/playoffs are done. This is how Sulak became eligible after the deadline last season.

I'm guessing that Rasmussen would have to be assigned back to Tri-City at some point in order to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, and then he can join GR once Tri-City's season is over. However, I can't seem to find any indication that he needs to be assigned at a certain point in order to be eligible.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Or Points, Johnsons, Kucherovs. You do realize that 3 of the top 5 scores on that team were players Detroit could have drafted or signed had they had better scouting.

Yes, but I was talking about D-men.

No question that Yzerman('s scouting staff?) has done a tremendous job drafting forwards, but on D the results have been very similar to what we've been accustomed to with Stevie's old boss.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
it is extremely rare that players with gallant's production in juniors pan out. the decline in production from D to D+1 year means busts in most cases, especially so if it wasn't that great to begin with. then add about ppg production on D+2 year, which is pretty bad. 'turning it around' on age 20 season playing mostly against younger kids doesn't mean much.

how many NHL players there are with similar production in juniors as gallant has had? of legit top 9 guys, i'm pretty sure less than dozen (out of like thousands). maybe we could even count them with single hand.

First of all, I never said Gallant was going to become an NHL player. My point is that you cannot call a 3rd round pick "a bust" a year and a half after he was drafted.

Gallant won't make the NHL more than likely. But most 3rd round picks don't. 2017 might very well go down as a bust draft. But, it won't be because the Wings' third round pick didn't pan out.

Exactly.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
First of all, I never said Gallant was going to become an NHL player. My point is that you cannot call a 3rd round pick "a bust" a year and a half after he was drafted.

based on his production in that year and a half, there's like 99.9% chance he is going to be a bust. i'd call player like that a bust. and someone with elias pettersons production pretty much a guaranteed star player.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I assumed you made a mistake because of how ridicules you sound. Sorry for giving you benefit of the doubt lol.

You’re seriously complaining about a player who had a slight regression in year 2 in the OHL who turned it around in year 3? Wow!

I think this may take the cake when it comes to grasping at straws in an effort to trash Holland. If this doesn’t encapsulate irrational hatred towards him, I don’t know what does lol.

more that when you actively build your entire draft around character I expect the guys you pick to at the very least not regress immediately afterwards

really shows what that "character" was worth doesn't it?

Reactions: Jon Cusack

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
more that when you actively build your entire draft around character I expect the guys you pick to at the very least not regress immediately afterwards

Again, my point is that you cannot call them busts a year and a half later. Your point would have come across a lot better if you didn't resort to hyperbole.

Reactions: Oddbob

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Reeeaaallly seems like you're unreasonably hung up on one small comment made a few years ago or something.

They didn't go out and draft Bill Gates and Oprah. They tried to draft good hockey players. It's way too early to tell if they did it successfully.

...and if they get 2 full-time NHL'ers out of it, as you're expecting....that's a pretty standard draft...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yes, but I was talking about D-men.

No question that Yzerman('s scouting staff?) has done a tremendous job drafting forwards, but on D the results have been very similar to what we've been accustomed to with Stevie's old boss.

That interesting.

He has build the defence through trades around Hedman, which was drafted by the former management and by tanking.

They even skipped Seth Jones for Jonathan Drouin, which was clearly a huge mistake. Easy to say now, when he know better.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I did know 10-11 years ago that Luke Glendening will be a bust, when he wasn't even drafted at this point of career, and was playing at USHS.

Oh wait...

Reactions: lilidk and kliq

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
From Khan:

Team considering sending Rasmussen to junior club Tri-City, which would make him eligible for AHL playoffs with @griffinshockey

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Would he still be eligible for AHL playoffs if Tri-City is in their playoffs? They are looking like a lock to play at least 1 round

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Would he still be eligible for AHL playoffs if Tri-City is in their playoffs? They are looking like a lock to play at least 1 round

Yes. He can join the Griffins as soon as Tri-City's playoff run is done.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I think sending him back would be good. Hes got his NHL season under him basically now let him go try to win something in the playoffs, whether thats Tri-City or Grand Rapids. If he goes back to Tri-City though they could make some noise for a round or 2.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I think sending him back would be good. Hes got his NHL season under him basically now let him go try to win something in the playoffs, whether thats Tri-City or Grand Rapids. If he goes back to Tri-City though they could make some noise for a round or 2.
I'm interested where Tri-City would play Raz - C or W

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
AHL stuff aside, he definitely deserves to be sent back. The Wings gambled that his hands and feet would catch up over the course of the year, but they just didn't.
They didn't gamble on anything. I'm willing to bet they'd start him up again if they were to do it over.

Reactions: Winger98

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Can't wait till Yzerman gets here and they upgrade to some Slater Koekkoek's, Nikita Nesterov's or Jake Dotchin's.

I mean, Nesterov and Dotchin were 5th and 6th round picks. The fact that they became anything is pretty good. Koekoek has busted, sure, but their 2nd round D drafting is the bigger indictment. And Drouin over Jones was looking terrible until recently.

The thing is, it hasn't hurt them much (certainly not as much as us) because they've done such a good job most of the time at most other things. Between their ability to identify when to sell a player high or buy low, their willingness to trade a player despite his talent/hype/significance to the organization, and their strong drafting/pro scouting that has given them the excess talent necessary to make big trades, they've found ways to address their weak spots.

Steve certainly isn't flawless, but he sure is a versatile GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->