Rasmussen placed on LTIR... Sent to GR for conditioning

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Fans would cry because they don't get to watch shiny new toys. That said, his development would have been much better in the AHL but I don't think they could send him there. It was NHL or Tri City.

I'm glad Ken Holland sent Cholo down to the AHL. He could be a good one and needs more development.

yeah Holland does a great job developing defensemen

who's your pick for best defenseman the Wings have developed in the past 18 years by the way? Quincey or Ericsson? they're both so good it's hard to choose

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ras has to be assigned to Tri-City if he does not stay with the Wings (if the Wings decide to even make this happen) at any time of the season. I believe Ras can go back and forth between the Wings and Tri-City if needed. When the Wings season is done, the Wings (if they want to) can assign Ras to Tri-City for their playoff run and he stays there until the Americans season is over. If the Griffins are still in playoffs after the Americans are done, then Ras can be sent to GR on an ATO contract and be on the Griffins playoff roster. That is how I understand this.

The biggest piece you're missing is I believe he has to be on the roster (at least on paper) before the NHL TDL.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Sounds like you hate Jiri Fischer and Nickolas Kronwall. Shame.

and here I thought those guys were drafted 19 and 21 years ago respectively

do they have younger brothers i'm not aware of or something?

maybe we should throw in Lidstrom too? how about we toss in Red Kelly while we're at it as well? i'm sure that's relevant to the Wings woeful inability to develop any defenseman better than a third pairing guy in the past nearly two decades

Reactions: dragonballgtz

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
and here I thought those guys were drafted 19 and 21 years ago respectively

do they have younger brothers i'm not aware of or something?

maybe we should throw in Lidstrom too? how about we toss in Red Kelly while we're at it as well? i'm sure that's relevant to the Wings woeful inability to develop any defenseman better than a third pairing guy in the past nearly two decades

Oh you mean develop dmen while they were winning/competing for cups annually and trading away any decent level pick they did get to keep the engine running. My bad, I forgot you get GREAT all-star choices in the 30th spot.

Scan through NHL history and count how many 2nd round+ dmen pan out. You'd be surprised not very many Hedmans and Doughtys show up. I'll give you one guess why that might be....

And don't confuse developing with drafting. Bottom line, Jim Nil did a horrible job. And if I remember correctly, you are one of the many here that cried when he was leaving Detroit over Ken Holland. Lol!

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Oh you mean develop dmen while they were winning/competing for cups annually and trading away any decent level pick they did get to keep the engine running. My bad, I forgot you get GREAT all-star choices in the 30th spot.

Scan through NHL history and count how many 2nd round+ dmen pan out. You'd be surprised not very many Hedmans and Doughtys show up. I'll give you one guess why that might be....

And don't confuse developing with drafting. Bottom line, Jim Nil did a horrible job. And if I remember correctly, you are one of the many here that cried when he was leaving Detroit over Ken Holland. Lol!

ah yes everything bad that happens is Jim Nills fault and everything good was all Holland right? and it's not like Holland put him in his role to begin with or anything like that huh?

was Jim Nill also responsible for the disaster of a draft that was 2017? I bet he blackmailed Holland from over in Dallas or something right?

Nill has literally been gone for almost 6 years at this point get over it,he wasn't even around when Holland ruined the Wings 2011 draft class of dmen let alone anything since then

and who said anything about Hedmans and Doughtys? there's a pretty massive gap in between that and what the Wings have actually managed,two decades is a very long time and there's around a half dozen defensemen drafted past the first round every year that are much better than what the Wings have managed to grab

sounds like you're the one that's confusing developing with drafting,the Wings have drafted plenty of defensemen over the years that have done well in juniors or college or whatever and the more time the Wings have with them the worse they get I wonder why that is

must be all a massive coincidence am I right?

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Lol, wut? :help:

one of the most immediately awful draft classes of all time

imagine drafting 11 guys for "character" and having 90% of them literally regress the very next year

almost that entire draft class was literally a bust from the word go

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

who's your pick for best defenseman the Wings have developed in the past 18 years by the way? Quincey or Ericsson? they're both so good it's hard to choose

Cholowski and Hronek.

And you had to switch the Scouting Director to make it happen.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

imagine drafting 11 guys for "character" and having 90% of them literally regress the very next year

Holy hyperbole. Its February 2019, bit of a stretch to call the June 2017 draft picks "busts".

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Holy hyperbole. Its February 2019, bit of a stretch to call the June 2017 draft picks "busts".

Yeah... Rasmussen has played 7th most games from 2017 draft class and has 8th most career points.

Only 7 players from all 2nd-7th round picks have played at least a game in NHL. Islanders 5th round pick defenceman Sebastian Aho most games with 22.

Last edited:
Reactions: kliq

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

what would you call guys like Lane Zanlocki and Zachary Gallant that were drafted for their character and not only failed to improve in their D+1 years but actually regressed? pretty much the entire draft class is like that

I would be beyond shocked if anyone other than Rasmussen or Lindstrom ever became an NHL regular in even the tiniest of roles(and Lindstrom probably isn't anything more than a 3rd pairing guy at best even if he does make it) maybe Setkov plays a game or two at some point but he won't stick

I am extremely confident that the rest never make it at all for even a single game

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Rasmussen is in the NHL and has not been embarrassed at all. He just need more size, so running them down this early is ridiculous at this point. He has literally played better than a guy who was drafted 4th overall in a much stronger draft in Puljujarvi, so I think Ras in fine. Holland may not be great, but neither is Nill, as Dallas isn't exactly some powerhouse in the standings or at developing players on their own.

Reactions: AJD7 and kliq

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
what would you call guys like Lane Zanlocki and Zachary Gallant that were drafted for their character and not only failed to improve in their D+1 years but actually regressed? pretty much the entire draft class is like that

I would be beyond shocked if anyone other than Rasmussen or Lindstrom ever became an NHL regular in even the tiniest of roles(and Lindstrom probably isn't anything more than a 3rd pairing guy at best even if he does make it) maybe Setkov plays a game or two at some point but he won't stick

I am extremely confident that the rest never make it at all for even a single game

Who said they regressed? You? All of this is subjective, and not factual, as until they get significant time in the pro ranks you can't just dismiss people. Also, these players you are bringing up, were 2nd round and later, and literally every single team in the NHL is going to have to be lucky to get anything of high quality from those rounds. Every fan base whines and moans about their teams scouting when things are going bad, and vice versa that, go overboard with excitement when things go well. Reality is, drafting is about 75% luck and 25% skill, training, who is teaching, who is scouting and other intangible factors, always has been this way, and isn't going to change.

I honestly don't think we are doing too poorly for only having 2+ seasons of decently high picks, people really need to be more patient with most of these kids, and lower their expectations with all picks, but especially those drafted outside the top 40-50 or so!

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I never said that any player they drafted in 2017 would or would not make it, what I said was that it is WAY to early to call players from the 2017 draft "busts", especially the D-men and goalies.

As far as Zackary Gallant goes, why are you saying he regressed? He was playing better this year then last (about a PPG) up until he suffered an ankle injury that required surgery.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Who said they regressed? You? All of this is subjective, and not factual, as until they get significant time in the pro ranks you can't just dismiss people. Also, these players you are bringing up, were 2nd round and later, and literally every single team in the NHL is going to have to be lucky to get anything of high quality from those rounds. Every fan base whines and moans about their teams scouting when things are going bad, and vice versa that, go overboard with excitement when things go well. Reality is, drafting is about 75% luck and 25% skill, training, who is teaching, who is scouting and other intangible factors, always has been this way, and isn't going to change.

I honestly don't think we are doing too poorly for only having 2+ seasons of decently high picks, people really need to be more patient with most of these kids, and lower their expectations with all picks, but especially those drafted outside the top 40-50 or so!

I think he's just looking at total points without any context at all (ie. injuries).

Reactions: Oddbob

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I never said that any player they drafted in 2017 would or would not make it, what I said was that it is WAY to early to call players from the 2017 draft "busts", especially the D-men and goalies.

As far as Zackary Gallant goes, why are you saying he regressed? He was playing better this year then last (about a PPG) up until he suffered an ankle injury that required surgery.

I said he regressed in his D+1 year,that's last year not this year

he was finally back to where he was 2 years ago this year before getting injured big whoop

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

You don't know what the word literally means.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I said he regressed in his D+1 year,that's last year not this year

he was finally back to where he was 2 years ago this year before getting injured big whoop

I assumed you made a mistake because of how ridicules you sound. Sorry for giving you benefit of the doubt lol.

You’re seriously complaining about a player who had a slight regression in year 2 in the OHL who turned it around in year 3? Wow!

I think this may take the cake when it comes to grasping at straws in an effort to trash Holland. If this doesn’t encapsulate irrational hatred towards him, I don’t know what does lol.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Rasmussen is in the NHL and has not been embarrassed at all. He just need more size, so running them down this early is ridiculous at this point. He has literally played better than a guy who was drafted 4th overall in a much stronger draft in Puljujarvi, so I think Ras in fine. Holland may not be great, but neither is Nill, as Dallas isn't exactly some powerhouse in the standings or at developing players on their own.

Rasmussen is only in the NHL because the NHL allows itself to be put over the barrel by the CHL. In a logical world Ras would be in the AHL right now, but because Bettman is the only person in the NHL that could be accused of being a worse negotiator than Holland, the CHL/NHL transfer agreement screws players like Ras.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I assumed you made a mistake because of how ridicules you sound. Sorry for giving you benefit of the doubt lol.

You’re seriously complaining about a player who had a slight regression in year 2 in the OHL who turned it around in year 3? Wow!

I think this may take the cake when it comes to grasping at straws in an effort to trash Holland. If this doesn’t encapsulate irrational hatred towards him, I don’t know what does lol.

it is extremely rare that players with gallant's production in juniors pan out. the decline in production from D to D+1 year means busts in most cases, especially so if it wasn't that great to begin with. then add about ppg production on D+2 year, which is pretty bad. 'turning it around' on age 20 season playing mostly against younger kids doesn't mean much.

how many NHL players there are with similar production in juniors as gallant has had? of legit top 9 guys, i'm pretty sure less than dozen (out of like thousands). maybe we could even count them with single hand.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
it is extremely rare that players with gallant's production in juniors pan out. the decline in production from D to D+1 year means busts in most cases, especially so if it wasn't that great to begin with. then add about ppg production on D+2 year, which is pretty bad. 'turning it around' on age 20 season playing mostly against younger kids doesn't mean much.

how many NHL players there are with similar production in juniors as gallant has had? of legit top 9 guys, i'm pretty sure less than dozen (out of like thousands). maybe we could even count them with single hand.

Gallant won't make the NHL more than likely. But most 3rd round picks don't. 2017 might very well go down as a bust draft. But, it won't be because the Wings' third round pick didn't pan out.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Can't wait till Yzerman gets here and they upgrade to some Slater Koekkoek's, Nikita Nesterov's or Jake Dotchin's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad