Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There are ways for Sandin to protect himself in the corners and along the boards, he could learn some from Dermott, but all defensemen take lots of hits, it's part of being a defenseman. He's been taking them his whole career and obviously has figured out how to work it. Take that hit from Benn for an example, Sandin didnt miss a beat on the play.
I don't think it's a bigger issue for Sandin than any other NHL defenseman.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
One thing is for sure, he isnt boring to watch. Had a good game again but sometimes he is playing with minimal margins.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Sanding looks great.... he's a big guy with size. Will be nice to have another Morgan Rielley but with a little more grit

It appears you're only looking at the stat sheet rather than the actual player. While he does have a bit of grit it's hardly a defining factor, the huge size bit is a dead giveaway tho. Exposed. ^^^

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
how does Sandin only play 12 minutes in a game where Rielly and Dermott are out, and against such a bad team? I like most of what Keefe is doing but that's nonsensical

Sandin was checked pretty heavily vs Dallas, so maybe they're just giving him a lighter work load.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Penalty killing

Nope. While Marincin did play more on special teams during the game (1:48 vs 0:28) the major difference between the two was at ES.
For instance during the second period (during which there was no PK time for the Leafs and roughly 2 minutes of PP time - during which only Barrie and Sandin played) this was the ice time:

Barrie - 11:21
Muzzin - 7:06
Ceci - 6:53
Holl - 6:10
Marincin - 5:02
Sandin - 1:47 (assisted on the Leafs' goal that period)

It also pretty much destroys the handedness argument as well. For roughly 5 minutes of the 18 ES minutes in the second period there were two righties out there together. And playing a D for more than 11 minutes in a period has nothing to do with easing someone in. It can't get any clearer that when Keefe looks down the bench at his options he doesn't view Sandin as one.

Reactions: OB34KNH

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If one thing I noticed about Sandin is that he doesn’t back down from being physical but he is not strong enough to play that way yet.
He will be scary good once he adds more muscles and grow into his body. He sees the ice really well.
Would be nice if Leafs actually have a vet Dman to play with him.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If one thing I noticed about Sandin is that he doesn’t back down from being physical but he is not strong enough to play that way yet.
He will be scary good once he adds more muscles and grow into his body. He sees the ice really well.

Something like what Hainsey was to Rielly (but on a sheltered third pairing role) might be good in helping Sandin's development.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
I've been so impressed with this kids poise that I've been a bit blind to some of his weaknesses. I saw a few clips of him getting beat one on one a bit too easily (ie the corey perry drive to the net) so maybe coaching staff wants to keep his minutes low. Having said that, he looks better than I could have ever hoped and has really eased my anxiety about our defense going forward

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

They have options. They have made a choice not to use those options. Leafs have 3 D who have played over 500 games Muzzin, Rielly and Barrie. Chicago has been playing Boqvist with Keith, just as Boston played McAvoy with Chara from the start, because they care about developing them.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Keefe also put Barrie on for Sandin for a few shifts yesterday. Sandin also struggled which hasn't been common for him. I'm fine with Keefe protecting the kid for now. Later on, the ice time will increase.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I forgot about that, however when they are playing 5v5 there is no way Marincin should be playing more minutes than Sandin.
Keefe played Barrie instead of Sandin for some shifts. Barrie played 27 minutes which is fine. He was great yesterday.
Nothing wrong with protecting the kid. It's also based on the game situation. If it's a close game, Keefe is probably going to keep his minutes low.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
They have options. They have made a choice not to use those options. Leafs have 3 D who have played over 500 games Muzzin, Rielly and Barrie. Chicago has been playing Boqvist with Keith, just as Boston played McAvoy with Chara from the start, because they care about developing them.
Don’t think they can use those options. Maybe Muzzin but he needs to take the tough matchups.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The kid has the most important tool. He has a brain. Looks like the smartest d the leafs have. All he has to do now is follow Rielly into the training room. A bit of mass along with his normal filling out and he will be perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad