Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, I absolutely LOVE his hockey sense, kid processes the game so fast. Very nice puck skills too.

I think his strength is OK for his age, his main weakness is his speed. He’s slow, especially for a small-ish PMD. If he can improve that speed, sky’s the limit.

Even with that weakness, I think he’s an NHLer today, with the upside to become a very good one.

Agreed, though Sandin did lose two physical battles on both the Canucks goals today. Strength and speed both need to improve. Strength will most likely come with time (and training), speed is a little harder to improve while packing on mass, but doable with a lot of effort in the offseason.

Reactions: stickty111

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Agreed, though Sandin did lose two physical battles on both the Canucks goals today. Strength and speed both need to improve. Strength will most likely come with time (and training), speed is a little harder to improve while packing on mass, but doable with a lot of effort in the offseason.

He also won two physical battles tonight. The hit on Tanner Pearson and I believe it was Pettersson, he boxed out in front of the net.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I don't think he's an NHL-quality player yet. He's too weak around the crease (both physically and positionally) and isn't good enough elsewhere to make up for it. He'd be better off in the AHL now if it weren't for the injuries.

Reactions: Jeypic

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
On the spectrum of things that could hold a prospect back, being too light is about the easiest to remedy, remember when Nylander put on 25lbs in a summer?

I'm more concerned about his straight line skating than strength, but I'd put a lot of money on him being a top 4 dman for a long time.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Tulluch gave Sandin a 1 star rating today. Here is what he said.

When you’re asking yourself why coaches don’t trust teenagers in high-leverage minutes at the NHL level, it’s because of plays like these. Referenced the Canucks 2nd goal.

I love Sandin as a player. When he puts on some more muscle over the next few years, I think he’s going to become a legitimate first-pairing defenceman. But he’s still getting outmuscled in key areas of the ice, which is a big part of the reason Keefe doesn’t trust him in defensive-zone situations. This was the issue with Dermott earlier in the season, but the 23-year-old is finally starting to look a bit more comfortable in his own end. Now, Sandin can clearly handle himself physically off the rush.

The issue with him is going to be how he defends the front of the net, which is where the 19-year-old has been getting burned a bit too often this season.

Personally, I felt 1 star was a little harsh. Aside from those 2 plays, I thought he was fine. Funny thing is Keefe had Barrie and Sandin in defensive zone situations, and after those 2 goals, he changed up the pairings which was the right call.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sandin
XGA/60: 2.50(worst among defencemen with 20 games played)
HDCA/60: 13.01(worst among defenceman with 20 gamesplayed)

Matches the eye test. He isn't good defensively but from anyone who watched with the Marlies, we all knew that. He isn't ready and Keefe not using him in every game indicates that. He and Lilly should be sent back down when everyone comes back.
I still see him as a potential great player but work required. He has filled in well during this time though.

Last edited:

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Sandin

Matches the eye test. He isn't good defensively but from anyone who watched with the Marlies, we all knew that. He isn't ready and Keefe not using him in every game indicates that. He and Lilly should be sent back down when everyone comes back.
I still see him as a potential great player but work required. He has filled in well during this time though.

They don't want Sandin to play more than 41 games, he would knock off a year of free agency for him.

Reactions: AreBe

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Sandin

I understand the "/60" but what stands XGA and HDCA for?

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
I think everyone agrees on that he needs more strength and higher straight line speed. He has also, at times, played with minimal margins. However, I disagree with the idea that he isn't ready. He is more aware than any other D-man (on this team) of whats going on and more often than not he will get into the right spot. He is very good with the puck and has a very good passing game. Those things are extremely valuable for a possession team.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I understand the "/60" but what stands XGA and HDCA for?
Expected goals against and high danger chances against. It's honestly more useful then just corsi. With both Sandin and Lilly's case, it's too small a sample size to draw a conclusion from.
Especially when it comes to team stats, I like it more then corsi.

Reactions: Matte99

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think everyone agrees on that he needs more strength and higher straight line speed. He has also, at times, played with minimal margins. However, I disagree with the idea that he isn't ready. He is more aware than any other D-man (on this team) of whats going on and more often than not he will get into the right spot. He is very good with the puck and has a very good passing game. Those things are extremely valuable for a possession team.
It depends though. In terms of poise and calmness, Sandin is ready. Defensively he isn't, but in both cases of him and Lilly, both are ready for sheltered duty.

Reactions: Matte99

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
LD: Rielly
LD: Muzzin
LD: Dermott
RD: Ceci
RD: Barrie
RD: Holl

Marincin, Rosen, Liljegren, Sandin

When everyone is healthy, Sandin and Liljegren need to play somewhere.

Why wouldn't they both be back with the Marlies. I think this year has been very valuable for them.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's really unfortunate that both Sandin and Liljegren have been forced to be used so early in their pro careers. Sandin looked fully ready at the start of the season but lately he has had troubles reading the higher tempo hockey of February/March. Liljegren is much better than the player in the pre-season who appeared to be standing around waiting for things to come to him but as far as I'm concerned shouldn't be in the NHL right now. Liljegren unlike Sandin appears to be the type of young player whose confidence could be crushed. A 7th/8th right hand D would have been worth a mid round draft pick to bridge to the return of the injured defensemen. I'd prefer Sandin and Liljegren getting their NHL feet wet in October/November hockey.

Reactions: AreBe

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lilly had the one turnover but was fine aside from that.

Although this is the Sandin thread, I saw one play last night which I said, "fricken great play by Liljegren!" It was a simple clear, while they were under pressure and he just rifled the puck out of the zone and against the boards. It didn't result in an icing and took pressure off. I was thinking if that was Barrie he would have mucked around with the puck, looking to make an offensive play in his own zone and odds are it never would have cleared. Nothing wrong with clearing the puck while under pressure. Do Holl and Barrie know that?

Sandin is great at moving the puck, and given any time can make a wonderful clear. Next year he'll be the same age as Kaberle when he broke into the league. He will gain strength between now and then.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Great season this year for Sandin.
Still needs to get stronger and quicker but his upside is exciting.

*not sure why the audio isnt working. If you click on the youtube and open it into a new tab it should work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's really unfortunate that both Sandin and Liljegren have been forced to be used so early in their pro careers. Sandin looked fully ready at the start of the season but lately he has had troubles reading the higher tempo hockey of February/March. Liljegren is much better than the player in the pre-season who appeared to be standing around waiting for things to come to him but as far as I'm concerned shouldn't be in the NHL right now. Liljegren unlike Sandin appears to be the type of young player whose confidence could be crushed. A 7th/8th right hand D would have been worth a mid round draft pick to bridge to the return of the injured defensemen. I'd prefer Sandin and Liljegren getting their NHL feet wet in October/November hockey.

The regression you saw with Sandin is often the case with young players coming up.

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
How many sub-6 foot, Charmin-soft defencemen currently occupy elite status in the league?

Or ever?

Very misinformed thing to say, Hughes and Makar look very nice for their respective teams... Even if Sandin isn’t where they are, if you have enough skill to play, strength will come with time and maturity. He’s going to turn into a nice asset.

Reactions: meefer and AreBe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad