Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
If risto was the "problem" because he was playing 25 minutes a night when we were losing, what is he now when he's playing the same minutes and we're winning hmmmm :sarcasm:

Reactions: Hasek

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If risto was the "problem" because he was playing 25 minutes a night when we were losing, what is he now when he's playing the same minutes and we're winning hmmmm :sarcasm:

The premise might be more true and reasonable if you said risto was "a" problem, amongst many. Now he is surrounded by a lot less other problems.

Every team wins with some problems. Aint nobody perfect.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
My therapist says to not think about it.
If susceptible to PTSD convulsions, helmet up now.

Victor Antipin, Justin Falk, Taylor Fedun, Erik Burgdoerfer, Brady Austin, Carlo Coliacovo, Cody Franson, Mike Weber, Tyson the Human Minus Strachan, Andre Benoit, Jamie McBain, Alexander Sulzer.

If you're not seizing yet...

Matt Tennyson

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya

Victor Antipin, Justin Falk, Taylor Fedun, Erik Burgdoerfer, Brady Austin, Carlo Coliacovo, Cody Franson, Mike Weber, Tyson the Human Minus Strachan, Andre Benoit, Jamie McBain, Alexander Sulzer.

Matt Tennyson

The Mess was worse than several names on this list, how could you forget about him!

Reactions: Ralonzo

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Risto is not getting traded. Why should we rip open a huge hole on D to fill the RW2 spot? a 2c is unneeded. Mitts and Johansson both on pace for over 55 points. Cozens in the wings. Jack here for 6 more years.

Risto is needed more. Sabres cannot afford to lose Risto. Dahlin getting 23 mins right now would be bad, real bad.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
The team around him is better, but Risto still makes all the same horrible possession-killing passes he always has, and I'm convinced the top line's early season woes at even strength can be partially attributed to the McCabe-Risto pairing. Having your two worst passers on the top pairing is not a great strategy IMO.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

Matt Tennyson
How can you even think about making such a list without mentioning Andrej f***ing Meszaros? Oh, and what about Marc-Andre "better than Sekera" Gragnani? Ok, at least that dude could QB a PP.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Risto is not getting traded. Why should we rip open a huge hole on D to fill the RW2 spot? a 2c is unneeded. Mitts and Johansson both on pace for over 55 points. Cozens in the wings. Jack here for 6 more years.

Risto is needed more. Sabres cannot afford to lose Risto. Dahlin getting 23 mins right now would be bad, real bad.

Dahlin getting 23 a night is not bad. Are we saying he can handle less than Myers did at the same age?

The thing to do is keep Risto, cut his ice time by 4 minutes, give 2.5 to Dahlin and 1.5 to Jokiharu

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Dahlin getting 23 a night is not bad. Are we saying he can handle less than Myers did at the same age?

The thing to do is keep Risto, cut his ice time by 4 minutes, give 2.5 to Dahlin and 1.5 to Jokiharu
Myers handled those minutes paired with a veteran defensive rock. When they took that away the results were quite different.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Victor Hedman 2nd overall 2009 and Aaron Ekblad 1st overall 2014 didn't average 23 minutes a game until they were 21.
Ryan Suter 7th overall 2003 was 24 years old when he averaged 23 mins.
Seth Jones 4th overall 2013 averaged 23+ at age 22.
Shea Weber was 23 before he hit your magic Myers number.
This is the first season the player most comparable to Myers, Dougie Hamilton, now age 25, 9th overall 2013 is averaging 23+ mins per game.
Using the Sabres development of Myers as a model is like praising the Rigas family's money management.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Victor Hedman 2nd overall 2009 and Aaron Ekblad 1st overall 2014 didn't average 23 minutes a game until they were 21.
Ryan Suter 7th overall 2003 was 24 years old when he averaged 23 mins.
Seth Jones 4th overall 2013 averaged 23+ at age 22.
Shea Weber was 23 before he hit your magic Myers number.
This is the first season the player most comparable to Myers, Dougie Hamilton, now age 25, 9th overall 2013 is averaging 23+ mins per game.
Using the Sabres development of Myers as a model is like praising the Rigas family's money management.

Dahlin is also supposed to be on another level from those players. He has been lauded as generational.

If he's comparable to one of those defensemen, he is closer to a franchise level defenseman, not the next coming of Orr, and we as fans should set our expectations for him along those lines

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Dahlin is also supposed to be on another level from those players. He has been lauded as generational.

If he's comparable to one of those defensemen, he is closer to a franchise level defenseman, not the next coming of Orr, and we as fans should set our expectations for him along those lines
Krueger should base his ice time on things you read rather than what he and assistants see with their own eyes?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Krueger should base his ice time on things you read rather than what he and assistants see with their own eyes?

Where did I say that? All I said was perhaps Dahlin is closer to Franchise level (of which we haven't had a franchise defenseman since maybe Ramsey)

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I didn't know that TOI was the difference between generational&franchise level D

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

hes played poor hockey for what hes capable of so far this season and is ppg, o btw hes a teenager, in the top 10 for under 20 defenseman scoring, hes on another level, and not playing very well atm

dont let a good narative get in the way of whats actually happening

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Where did I say that? All I said was perhaps Dahlin is closer to Franchise level (of which we haven't had a franchise defenseman since maybe Ramsey)

Didn't you read this somewhere and base your 23 mins target on it? Dahlin is also supposed to be on another level from those players. He has been lauded as generational.

Players don't develop at the same rate. The components of their game also don't develop at the same rate. Offensively, Dahlin is already at an elite level. His defense isn't there yet. That affects his ice time because he isn't used on the PK. He needs to get bigger, stronger and improve his acceleration. He's a 6'3" 193lb beanpole.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
Still can't wait until he is gone.

Add Montour, plus whatever gained back via trade, plus dumping Ristolainen is a win via subtraction getting salary off the books(at best he is a replacement level player).

Flame away. Just remember a ton of guys who are now Pro-Risto were in on that outlandish idea of playing him on wing like a month ago.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Still can't wait until he is gone.

Add Montour, plus whatever gained back via trade, plus dumping Ristolainen is a win via subtraction getting salary off the books(at best he is a replacement level player).

Flame away. Just remember a ton of guys who are now Pro-Risto were in on that outlandish idea of playing him on wing like a month ago.

At BEST a replacement level player? :laugh: Big yikes! 40+ point defensemen on dumpster fire teams, playing the best hockey in his career under a real coach, in his prime = a #7 defenseman.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
At BEST a replacement level player? :laugh: Big yikes! 40+ point defensemen on dumpster fire teams, playing the best hockey in his career under a real coach, in his prime = a #7 defenseman.

Yeah man, Ristolainen and he 45% Corsi is SO impressive! You sure showed me!

Sadly for Risto his best play is easily replaceable, say by Montour? Who will likely be even better.

His points in his career are PP fueled, and the reason the team is 8-1-1 is not because Ristolainen is substantially better tham before, although I agree he is handling more D responsiblity than before, but because the team is playing better around him.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Yeah man, Ristolainen and he 45% Corsi is SO impressive! You sure showed me!

Sadly for Risto his best play is easily replaceable, say by Montour? Who will likely be even better.

His points in his career are PP fueled, and the reason the team is 8-1-1 is not because Ristolainen is substantially better tham before, but because the team is playing better around him.

45% corsi starting in the defensive zone 61% of the time. Don't look now but hes on pace for 40+ points without playing on PP1. Hilarious that you're trying to defend yourself saying hes a #7 at best.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
45% corsi starting in the defensive zone 61% of the time. Don't look now but hes on pace for 40+ points without playing on PP1. Hilarious that you're trying to defend yourself saying hes a #7 at best.

Okay, my bad, I belive his WAR last year was 0.1, so I guess he is touch above replacement. 5.5M for 0.1WAR.

There is no chance he hits 40+ points this year, you can quote me later if he does.

Also, you don't want to talk numbers and ignore the facts, fine, I'll let you decide!

We have Miller, Joker, Montour (who Botts JUST traded for, and will be in the starting lineup) and Ristolainen. Who goes? You decide. I find you'll come to the same conclusion that Ristolainen is the odd man out anyways, as he easily worse than Joker and Miller.

Reactions: cramdizzl

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Okay, my bad, I belive his WAR last year was 0.1, so I guess he is touch above replacement. 5.5M for 0.1WAR.

There is no chance he hits 40+ points this year, you can quote me later if he does.

Also, you don't want to talk numbers and ignore the facts, fine, I'll let you decide!

We have Miller, Joker, Montour (who Botts JUST traded for, and will be in the starting lineup) and Ristolainen. Who goes? You decide. I find you'll come to the same conclusion that Ristolainen is the odd man out anyways, as he easily worse than Joker and Miller.

WAR and replacement level players...this isn't baseball. Lessee... Takes like 2 seconds to see what a useless stat that is..Victor Hedman was a 0.18 WAR in 2017-2018..guess he should hardly be in the NHL as well...Oh wait he won the NORRIS THAT YEAR. :laugh:

They're talking about moving Scandella which would probably mean Montour playing on his off side. Then you have Pilut who looked amazing playing alongside Risto..that would mean McCabe going poof which is a bit less likely but you need depth anyways for injuries.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Jack Eichel has a worse CF and rel Cf then risto..Time to trade both then right. Corsi is what wins games. Its not like there isn't the Kings game to totally skew the numbers (a game we won btw).

Risto = major ES mins, even on the year, 40 point pace again and has been the best dman on the team. We could finish with 100+ points and Risto could have 35-40 points, a 0 plus minus and 24 mins a game and people will still want to just dump him for nothing. It has gone beyond hockey now its just hate for a player.

Reactions: Hasek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad