Member 308457

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Not my job so why are you asking me? Is that what you expect?

I'm asking you what such a poor player, in your opinion, should fetch in a trade. Obviously it isn't your job but hockey opinions are flying all over the place on these boards if you haven't noticed. Should we shut these boards down and only open them to posting if you're a GM of a team?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I remember when Kevin Devine almost had a heart attack when he thought the Blue Jackets were going to steal Risto in the '13 draft where they took Seth Jones. ;)

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I remember when Kevin Devine almost had a heart attack when he though the Blue Jackets were going to steal Risto in the '13 draft where they took Seth Jones. ;)

I seem to recall him saying something to the effect of "Thank f@*!ing God" when they picked Jones instead of Risto. :laugh:

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Just going to post this and then tiptoe on outta here:

That dude probably needs to get checked out, I've never seen someone so obsessed over saying the same thing over and over again, I don't understand how he has followers... Doesn't he get tired of posting:

"Risto sucks"
"look at this metric, he sucks"
"How can everyone not see Risto sucks"
"Seriously guys, he's a bad hockey player"
"Did you guys know that Risto sucks at hockey?"

... You don't like him, we get it, move on buddy. Try posting about, well, something else. He sounds like Cowherd talking about Lebron.

Zip, if you're actually Kevin, sorry (not sorry) :laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That dude probably needs to get checked out, I've never seen someone so obsessed over saying the same thing over and over again, I don't understand how he has followers... Doesn't he get tired of posting:

"Risto sucks"

... You don't like him, we get it, move on buddy. Try posting about, well, something else. He sounds like Cowherd talking about Lebron.

I had to stop following him over the summer because of this. It gets old and its a shame because he can and does bring up good insights. But his obsession with pounding on Risto and Sobotka is very old. Almost as old as his love affair with Erod.

Reactions: Fezzy126

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY

"Risto sucks"

This dude is the most annoying part of Sabres Twitter and he came out of f***ing nowhere. His biases (while statistically correct) are just ridiculous. Dude needs to get off his high horse.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I had to stop following him over the summer because of this. It gets old and its a shame because he can and does bring up good insights. But his obsession with pounding on Risto and Sobotka is very old. Almost as old as his love affair with Erod.
I find Krueger's obsession with Ristolainen and Sobotka way more annoying but that might just be me.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Regardless of thoughts on xGF as a stat, everyone can agree you want more shots and scoring chances than you give up, and that getting beaten in these categories is not a good thing, or not something you can do for a long time while continuing to be a + player. So I dont think it should be dismissed.

That said, (1) the entire sabres team is outperforming xgf so everyones going to see some regression. (2) "if he can finally outperform his xg". There's no indication that a players ability to outperform xgf is repeatable so even if he hasn't in the past it doesnt matter

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Means jack ****.

Thank you for your insight.

I wish I had that much time to Twitter. :laugh:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I seem to recall him saying something to the effect of "Thank f@*!ing God" when they picked Jones instead of Risto. :laugh:
It's still funny, but less ridiculous when you consider that Jones was never going to drop to Buffalo.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I remember when Kevin Devine almost had a heart attack when he thought the Blue Jackets were going to steal Risto in the '13 draft where they took Seth Jones. ;)

Thank god we didn't have pick #4. Imagine passing on Jones for Risto..

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
I've seen enough at this point to assess that Kruger is NOT going to be able to change his habits or get anything more out of Risto than what he's shown previously.
He is what he is.
Lower the asking price or deploy him appropriately.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Just going to post this and then tiptoe on outta here:

These type of bad faith arguments drive me crazy.

Every single one of our dmen is outperforming their underlying numbers based on GF%. None more so than Miller and Dahlin in the easiest deployment of any dmen. But this particular person doesn’t like Risto so he makes bad faith arguments about him and says nothing about players he likes (Dahlin/Miller).

Dahlin’s underlying numbers in a easy/sheltered deployment aren’t very good at all

HDCF% —> 50%
SCF% ——-> 45%
CF% ———-> 47%
SF% ———-> 42%
xGF ———-> 49%

Yet he has a GF% of 75%. Which is greatly out performing his underlying numbers.

But I see nothing from that group mentioning this at all. Just that Dahlin should play more because they like Dahlin.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
These type of bad faith arguments drive me crazy.

Every single one of our dmen is outperforming their underlying numbers based on GF%. None more so than Miller and Dahlin in the easiest deployment of any dmen. But this particular person doesn’t like Risto so he makes bad faith arguments about him and says nothing about players he likes (Dahlin/Miller).

Dahlin’s underlying numbers in a easy/sheltered deployment aren’t very good at all

HDCF% —> 50%
SCF% ——-> 45%
CF% ———-> 47%
SF% ———-> 42%
xGF ———-> 49%

Yet he has a GF% of 75%. Which is greatly out performing his underlying numbers.

But I see nothing from that group mentioning this at all. Just that Dahlin should play more because they like Dahlin.
Dahlin has a history of good 5on5 performance, Ristolainen doesn't.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What are the other 5 defence man at?

Risto ——> CF% 43%/xGF% 45%/GF% 56%
McCabe -> CF% 44%/xGF% 46%/GF% 55%

Scandella -> CF% 55%/xGF% 49%/GF% 67%
Joker ——-> CF% 52%/xGF% 48%/GF% 67%

Miller ——-> CF% 48%/xGF% 52%/GF% 86%
Dahlin ——> CF% 47%/xGF% 49%/GF% 75%

Corsi For % is the shot share that’s referenced

Goals for % is the goal share that’s referenced

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
McCabe/Risto getting the difficult minutes and a lot of them is to shelter the Joker and Dahlin pairs.

Basically giving Joker/Dahlin the sheltering most of us wanted Risto to get early in his career.

I don’t think anyone expects Risto to kick ass in those minutes. My best hope is he can stay close to breaking even. But I can live with him in those minutes if it helps let Joker and Dahlin develop at their own pace.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Does anyone actually think that if they ramped up Dahlins 5v5 ice time and give him the zone starts that Risto gets that his underlying analytics are going to be incredible? Because I don't. Risto getting the ice time and deployment he gets is what is allowing Dahlin to be at over a ppg.

What I find funny is that the last 2 games are probably the 2 worst games the Sabres have played so far this year (result against Kings not withstanding) outside of maybe the Columbus game and the last 2 games are by far the lowest amount of ice time Risto has received. What does it mean? Maybe nothing. But as it stands Rasmus Ristolainen is receiving 62 PERCENT dzs. That is the highest defensive zone deployment Risto has ever got in his career. Not only that but Risto has his best giveaway/takeaway ratio in his career by far this season.

Also, this is something that I hardly if at all ever see mentioned. Risto by far gets the most ice time by any Sabre dman pretty much since he became a full time NHL player. He was getting 24-25 minutes a night year after year. Not only that but Risto is by far the most physical player on the team. And even with the edge to his game and the amount of ice time he gets his PiMs throughout his career have been insanely low for his ice time/style of play/deployment. He never gets commended for avoiding going to the box year after year. This season he has 4 minor penalties taken. Risto has never gotten more then 58 PiMs in a season. On the flip side Dahlin has at least as many if not MORE penalties taken whilst the Sabres are on the PP then Risto has through the first 8 games. And these penalties Dahlin took when we were a man up were taken very early on the PP. Dahlin definitely has taken at least 2 penalties with the man advantage which is what Risto has all year.

Last year penalties

Risto 38 PIMs, 1922 TOI
Bogo 52 PIMs, 1406 TOI
Dahlin 34 PIMs, 1735 TOI
McCabe 35 PIMs, 1118 TOI
Scandella 26 PIMs, 1109 TOI
Beaulieu 32 PIMs, 441 TOI
Pilut 20 PIMs, 575 TOI
Montour 16 PIMs, 435 TOI

Risto played nearly 200 more minutes then the next highest played player in Dahlin and had just 4 more PIMs. Hell, Risto nearly played double the amount of time on the ice that Pilut and Montour did last year and only had 4 more PIMs then they did. Risto should get credit that even though he is getting by far the most ice time among all Sabre skaters he doesn't have an obscene amount of bad penalties that a player as gassed as Risto would take. He deserves some praise for avoiding going to the box.

Risto getting 62% DZS is the reason why we can deploy Dahlin nearly the same amount of deployment in the offensive end. And before anyone starts no this is not bashing Dahlin for anything. Dahlin is incredible, a budding superstar and a player with HoF potential. One day Dahlins sweater is going up in the rafters and there will never be another Sabre to wear #26 ever again. But I think Rasmus should get some credit for letting the other Rasmus play his incredible game. Sooner then later Ristos time will go down and Dahlins will go up big time. Let's just be grateful that we have a D corps as stacked and loaded as we do now. We would have the 06 Cup if our D was anywhere near as good back then as it is now.

Dahlin is going to be our best overall dman by the end of this year. But as of now, Dahlin is still growing. Ralph wants him to get better in his own zone before his minutes get ramped up at ES and before he starts to PK. And I totally trust his judgment. Which is why I support Risto because Ralph isn't deploying Risto the way he is to boost his freaking trade value. He is deploying Risto the way he is because Risto is currently the best player for that job. Let's be happy that Risto will carry the load as of now so one day soon Dahlin will be the guy to get 24 minutes a game and leading the team in 5v5 ice time and 1st/2nd on the PK. Risto is bridging the gap for our superstar dman and I am happy about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJN21 and Hasek

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Does anyone else think it's a mite confusing to compare Dahlin and Risto and their development needs and trajectory.

Dahlin just had a monster season as an 18 year old. Nobody thought Eichel should bplay less minutes to be "protected". Protecting a young superstar is about giving them quality teammates and a role they can manage.

He looks stronger than last year. He is a unique talent that helps them win more than lose when he is on the ice. We have multiple good options for him to have as a partner, including Miller who seems to fit well with him.

Does anyone really think that Dahlin won't succeed with 22-23 minutes a night? I find this baffling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad