Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Regarding his transition passing and zone exits.

I wonder how bad the lack of ahl time and overuse at a young age stilted his passing.

Because I remember his first couple years and some very impressive passing, and then it just became clunk city at the end of Bylsma and thru Housley to now.

Odd.

In the most important development years of his career... Bylsma had him looking 115 feet down the ice for his outlet.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
They were literally posted in the post before mine.

And he ranks above Montour and Dahlin in xGF%, with 45% offensive zone starts compared to 60% for them, while playing way more ice time.

Not that advanced stats really means much for defenseman anyways. McCabe has solid advanced stats across the board and he has been awful.

He's 36th in ES points league wide (our leader).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Isn't his on-ice shooting percentage nearly double his career figure?
Its higher, by a good amount but not quite double. More like 1.5x his career average, but also coming with the 2nd lowest save% so in terms of PDO is might not be that different.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I am much more comfortable keeping Risto for 2 more years at 5.4 per... than I am giving Montour 5.4 per on a long term deal.

Montour is the guy we should be shopping, while our top 4 should be in place for the next 2.5 seasons:
Dahlin-Joki
Pilut-Risto

This is the way.

Reactions: DJN21 and coastal

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I am much more comfortable keeping Risto for 2 more years at 5.4 per... than I am giving Montour 5.4 per on a long term deal.

Montour is the guy we should be shopping, while our top 4 should be in place for the next 2.5 seasons:
Dahlin-Joki
Pilut-Risto
I am not sure JB realizes he practically wasted a 1st plus the picks on Miller

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Brief update on Risto from across the pond that I stumbled across today (translation required)

Here's some snippits:
  • Working on speed & endurance rather than strength
  • He's been training with Artturi Lehkonen , Kaapo Kähkönen , Aleksandr Georgijev and Joonas Järvinen , among others. Mikko Rantanen and Kaapo Kakko will join the group soon.
  • Currently no plans to try and play any kind of organized hockey overseas

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Brief update on Risto from across the pond that I stumbled across today (translation required)

Here's some snippits:
  • Working on speed & endurance rather than strength
  • He's been training with Artturi Lehkonen , Kaapo Kähkönen , Aleksandr Georgijev and Joonas Järvinen , among others. Mikko Rantanen and Kaapo Kakko will join the group soon.
  • Currently no plans to try and play any kind of organized hockey overseas

He needs to get into one of these programs.
Ohio Center for Sport Psychology

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I guess no one posted this yet so I will. I saw only some bits of it so far but it's been surprisingly entertaining to watch it. Ristolainen playing some (violent) tennis.

Apparently the video only works if you open it in Youtube so can't watch it straight from this forum. So you can right click it and open it in a new tab or right click and copy the url/link and paste it on the browser's address bar or what ever.

Last edited:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I guess no one posted this yet so I will. I saw only some bits of it so far but it's been surprisingly entertaining to watch it. Ristolainen playing some (violent) tennis.

Apparently the video only works if you open it in Youtube so can't watch it straight from this forum. So you can right click it and open it in a new tab or right click and copy the url/link and paste it on the browser's address bar or what ever.

With Ville Leino of all people.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000007814144.html

Ristolainen has been suffering from a bad case of COVID-19

- Says he has gone through every possible symptom. He has asked around the league and no one else has had it this bad.

- His oxygen levels had dropped significantly and doing anything at all made him extremely tired

-After a couple of days his symptoms got better only to come back in a different form, chest pains for an example.

-When he had his chest pains, he felt like his heart is going to rip in two when walking up the stairs. Says couple of nights he felt like he wasn't sure if he's going to wake up.

-"I got healthy papers from the doctors but physically I am in such a bad shape that i have a long road ahead of me until I'm fit to play." (Despite this he also says that he can maybe see himself coming back some time next week, but not certain)

He sarcastically remarks that of course if he's going to get it, he'd get it when he's playing the best hockey of his career.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Tough to read, a lot of that mirrored my experience. The chest pain bits are concerning; having them that bad is generally seen as an indicator of myocarditis. That being said if the doctors cleared him, he had to have gone through the cardiac protocol and had an echo to check for that.

The biggest concern now is probably lung damage. In my case, I was 5 weeks out from initial symptoms, and about 2 weeks clear of almost all symptoms, and a CT scan showed extensive lung damage still present. At rest I have no difficulty breathing, no abnormal sounds in my lungs, and issues with oxygenation, but if I start to exert myself even a little I start sucking wind really hard really fast.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Tough to read, a lot of that mirrored my experience. The chest pain bits are concerning; having them that bad is generally seen as an indicator of myocarditis. That being said if the doctors cleared him, he had to have gone through the cardiac protocol and had an echo to check for that.

The biggest concern now is probably lung damage. In my case, I was 5 weeks out from initial symptoms, and about 2 weeks clear of almost all symptoms, and a CT scan showed extensive lung damage still present. At rest I have no difficulty breathing, no abnormal sounds in my lungs, and issues with oxygenation, but if I start to exert myself even a little I start sucking wind really hard really fast.

I don't watch basketball but I remember hearing about some covid stories lets see...

27 year old Michael Ojo had covid and was medically cleared, he later died during training camp.

21 year old Keyontae Johnson collapsed during a game from from myocarditis, he had covid not long prior to that but ofc "it has nothing to do with covid."

I hope they don't rush him back and take this seriously. I'm also confused how a player that is struggling with day to day things can be cleared to play.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't watch basketball but I remember hearing about some covid stories lets see...

27 year old Michael Ojo had covid and was medically cleared, he later died during training camp.

21 year old Keyontae Johnson collapsed during a game from from myocarditis, he had covid not long prior to that but ofc "it has nothing to do with covid."

I hope they don't rush him back and take this seriously. I'm also confused how a player that is struggling with day to day things can be cleared to play.
I'm not sure they cleared him to resume playing activity. The way I read it is, your free of Covid, now go see your team doctor's for more clearances. I am very surprised they haven't put him on LTIR.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I am very surprised they haven't put him on LTIR.
IR or LTIR would only be used if they need or want to add another roster player to their active roster which they don't really need to do bc of the taxi squad. If the time comes they do want to add another roster player, they can put him on IR retroactive to the last game played. So IR or LTIR status has nothing really directly related to his health or capability to play.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I have 2 people at work who just got done fighting covid. Both have very different symptoms, one more severe than the other. Both were out of work for 3 weeks. The long term effects are still unknown. I hope Rasmus makes a full recovery, was playing the best hockey of his career.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
IR or LTIR would only be used if they need or want to add another roster player to their active roster which they don't really need to do bc of the taxi squad. If the time comes they do want to add another roster player, they can put him on IR retroactive to the last game played. So IR or LTIR status has nothing really directly related to his health or capability to play.
Wouldn't it help on the cap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad