Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

It's becoming more apparent with every game that Ristolainen's problem the last couple seasons wasn't that he was receiving too much ice time. It's that he couldn't play in Housley's "system".
Ristolainen improved each of his 2 years under Bylsma playing in a structured system. In 2016-17 he was arguably on the path to stardom, averaging over 26 minutes a game and finishing a -9. Then came Housley.

View attachment 264925

It's not too late to join the Church of Latter Day Ristofarians.

The stats don't really say that. The sabres are +12 in scoring yet Risto is sitting at 0 plus/minus and is on pace for his lowest point total in 5 years. Not that I care about Plus/Minus but he is the only defender not in the plus. Lots to go in the season but Risto seems to follow that trend.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The stats don't really say that. The sabres are +12 in scoring yet Risto is sitting at 0 plus/minus and is on pace for his lowest point total in 5 years. Not that I care about Plus/Minus but he is the only defender not in the plus. Lots to go in the season but Risto seems to follow that trend.
Being even after playing that many minutes 5v5 with the deployment he gets is actually a good thing. He was -41 last season.

that said +/- isn’t the greatest stat to use

Last edited:

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012

10 of the sabres 24 goals have been scored on the PP, so it isn’t surprising that none of the players have a high +/-. +/- is a terrible stat, and should never be used to demonstrate whether or not a player is playing well.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Jack Eichel and Olofsson are both -1, they are 2 of the 3 players with a -. Oh and Sobotka is +4. So that must mean something negative about Eichel right?

Risto is getting over 20 mins 5 v 5. He is only getting 1:30 PP time a game which is 9th on the team and 3rd among dmen. It has been 6 games, Risto is still going to get 30+ points. If we want to praise Kruger and call him a great head coach then we also must give Risto credit for being a good dman and also playing good this year. Because if he wasn't then why is this great head coach playing him so much?

No matter what Risto does he is never going to get the respect and credit he deserves. He is a #2 dman playing damn good big minutes on a top team. Thats the truth.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
The GM always has the final say. That being said we have 2-3 defencemen too many. Someone has to go
Doesn't it feel as if Botts was hoping the Jets were going to be worse than they are? I mean their AHL defence needs help and we have spare blueliners. However, while we're playing well and they aren't awful I'm not sure there is a trade to make there, especially as he's in post-Reilly gunshy mode still. He'll probably only trade west and who wants a dman badly enough to overpay at this stage in the season? Until the Jets fall off the map I just can't see a partner out there.

Separate note though, I know Risto's stat line is bad but I've liked what I've seen. He doesn't seem to panic as much, he's the most physical guy on the ice and he can play a ton of minutes without being exhausted (this, imho, is why Dahlin doesn't get more time, he said he was gassed last year).

EDIT: I think he's playing smart, physical hockey and that's where he's best. Nothing complicated, just simple.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Doesn't it feel as if Botts was hoping the Jets were going to be worse than they are? I mean their AHL defence needs help and we have spare blueliners. However, while we're playing well and they aren't awful I'm not sure there is a trade to make there, especially as he's in post-Reilly gunshy mode still. He'll probably only trade west and who wants a dman badly enough to overpay at this stage in the season? Until the Jets fall off the map I just can't see a partner out there.

Separate note though, I know Risto's stat line is bad but I've liked what I've seen. He doesn't seem to panic as much, he's the most physical guy on the ice and he can play a ton of minutes without being exhausted (this, imho, is why Dahlin doesn't get more time, he said he was gassed last year).

EDIT: I think he's playing smart, physical hockey and that's where he's best. Nothing complicated, just simple.

30 teams scouted the Sabres the other night. Someone will be interested.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Jack Eichel and Olofsson are both -1, they are 2 of the 3 players with a -. Oh and Sobotka is +4. So that must mean something negative about Eichel right?

Risto is getting over 20 mins 5 v 5. He is only getting 1:30 PP time a game which is 9th on the team and 3rd among dmen. It has been 6 games, Risto is still going to get 30+ points. If we want to praise Kruger and call him a great head coach then we also must give Risto credit for being a good dman and also playing good this year. Because if he wasn't then why is this great head coach playing him so much?

No matter what Risto does he is never going to get the respect and credit he deserves. He is a #2 dman playing damn good big minutes on a top team. Thats the truth.
They aren't defencemen with a history of plus/minus problems. Apples and oranges. Notices I only mentioned defencemen. Apples to Apples.

We don't have to give Risto anything. I am happy Risto is playing better but he has the hockey IQ of a rock. Last game he threw the puck away when he wasn't under pressure. He really doesn't fit the system. Lets watch him tonight.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
They aren't defencemen with a history of plus/minus problems. Apples and oranges. Notices I only mentioned defencemen. Apples to Apples.

We don't have to give Risto anything. I am happy Risto is playing better but he has the hockey IQ of a rock. Last game he threw the puck away when he wasn't under pressure. He really doesn't fit the system. Lets watch him tonight.
He fits this system better than any other system he's played in during his career.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Fitting the system better still doesnt mean its a good fit. Better just means
Better than bad. Like i said. I am happy he is playing better but i am not going to erase 4 years of bonehead plays for 6 games

OK, so what are you expecting in return for Ristolainen?

3rd round pick? Maybe a 2nd?

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
If we have to trade a dman I hope it's not Risto.
I might make a trade with Minn for Zucker depending on money going out and the picks?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I find Paul Hamilton annoying but he has said multiple times he has heard Ristolainen is uncoachable. He said it after Bylsma was fired and he said it under Housley. Him going right back to his poor tendencies when a system can't prop him up is exactly why he needs to go. Granted Jokiharju and Scandella were the only defensemen who didn't shit their pants in the 2nd and 3rd last night and continued to play the system but the 7 year sample size from Risto leads me to believe the coaching staff isn't fixing this.

I really want to like the guy because when he's on he has a very infectious confidence and swagger to his game but I firmly believe he will be addition by subtraction. He's been a huge part of a losing team long enough, it's time to move on. Anybody who thinks we need to keep him for his physical presence got a first hand look at why that's not rooted in reality last night. He didn't step up at all. I think Jokiharju was more physical than he was in the 2nd and 3rd period. Risto is a fake tough p***y that has played in 431 games and not instigated a fight once. The 3 shoving match "fights" he has been involved in his was reluctant to take his gloves off. He's not scaring anyone. If anything he causes this team more problems physically because of this.

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
I've been one of those that's been really adament on keeping Risto - mainly because I fear that when placed on a good team, he can be a crucial complimentary asset, especially with his physicality come playoffs. BUT now that we've got the depth, and he's not keeping up - I'm fine with moving him for a good return. Which I assume is the plan for him.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
He is what he is. Every game he makes an inexcusable wrap around the wall to no one but the other team that results in us getting hemmed in for extended periods of time. He takes braindead shots on net that kill possession, and overall just doesnt play smart hockey.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would like Krueger to try the revolutionary concept of not giving Risto the most ice time. Just an idea.

With how Scandella-Jokiharju has played, seems like an easy way to shift some of the load. I like how Risto has played generally - we can see him more energetic, harder on pucks in the offensive zone, brisk in his pinches and recovery. There is effort and he isn't (yet) conserving energy.

HOWEVER... we have seen this a couple of early season starts in a row now. And then he starts to get dinged and worn down. And then he gets down on himself and the mistakes just compound. Draw down his 5-on-5 time a couple minutes and roll Joker out in the harder minutes. I never thought I would say this, but give Scandella some more d-zone responsibilities. Not much, just a little bit more.

And now I need to go see if the end times are upon us. :biglaugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I would like Krueger to try the revolutionary concept of not giving Risto the most ice time. Just an idea.
I don’t disagree with this is theory. My issue is how that plays out in practice.

McCabe/Risto have played a lot and in fairly tough minutes. Part of the reason for that is to shelter the two pairings with the kids on them. I’m a tad reluctant to possibly make the same mistake with either Joker or Dahlin that was made with Risto. Forcing them into more big minutes before they were completely ready to handle them.

Joker is winning me over big time with his play but why bury the kid if you don’t have to yet.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I don’t disagree with this is theory. My issue is how that plays out in practice.

McCabe/Risto have played a lot and in fairly tough minutes. Part of the reason for that is to shelter the two pairings with the kids on them. I’m a tad reluctant to possibly make the same mistake with either Joker or Dahlin that was made with Risto. Forcing them into more big minutes before they were completely ready to handle them.

Joker is winning me over big time with his play but why bury the kid if you don’t have to yet.
Our very talented dcorps lacks certain roles. Risto eating the minutes might be the best option right now but it’s kind of unfair since he’s clearly not cut out for it.

Just kind of tiring that the same thing repeats over and over. Imaging reliving a ”Risto-season” every year at work. You start out well rested, burn out after two weeks, then loads of people follow and comment on your performance while you develop work related PTSD. At least he makes million but from a motivational standpoint it can’t be easy.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He is what he is. Every game he makes an inexcusable wrap around the wall to no one but the other team that results in us getting hemmed in for extended periods of time. He takes braindead shots on net that kill possession, and overall just doesnt play smart hockey.
There is still some disorganization in the dzone. He's had some doozy give-aways, but let's be honest, the Sabres still have quite a bit of work to do in their own zone. Unforced mistakes are of more concern to me than him making a quick decision that ends badly when the whole zone is under pressure. Sure, your top guys don't do that, but I think we've established that Risto is not a top-guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->