Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Is it? Aside from when he rides shotgun to McDavid (i.e., this year), RNH typically barely outscores Ristolainen, and it's not like he brings a ton outside of scoring.

I like RNH as a good option to give Mitts time to improve next year without killing the secondary scoring.

But it really crushes the defense unless they have a couple top 4 guys to come in they don't have now.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Most defenders and goalies look bad on bad teams, especially ones who have a lot of responsibility and play a ton of minutes. Obviously there are a handful of guys in the league who will still look good no matter their situation.

Just like I said about Lehner before he went to NYI.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'll take Risto on my team any day.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He works well with Pilut. If Pilut bulks up and improves over the summer they will make a fine 2nd pairing. Don’t trade unless it’s an overpay

I don't think bulking up is the best thing for Pilut. He's always going to be a small framed player and losing some physical confrontations is going to be part of life when he's on the ice. Making him muscle-bound and inhibiting his mobility would take away one of his best assets.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I don't think bulking up is the best thing for Pilut. He's always going to be a small framed player and losing some physical confrontations is going to be part of life when he's on the ice. Making him muscle-bound and inhibiting his mobility would take away one of his best assets.

He doesn’t need to become the hulk but I do think he needs to add some muscle. Or at the very least learn to use his low Center of gravity better

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He doesn’t need to become the hulk but I do think he needs to add some muscle. Or at the very least learn to use his low Center of gravity better

He remains a small defensemen who will get by on his smarts, stick and speed. The ankle-breaker should be his partner.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

Adding some upper body that he’s clearly lacking isn’t going to destroy his mobility. Euros focus on cardio, not upper body. He can still bulk some

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Hey look, Doughty in 2nd place with a -34. I guess he was a terrible defenseman this whole time, just hiding behind (what was) a good team in LA. :sarcasm:
LA wasn't good last season and Doughty was the best defenseman in the league. Ristolainen has been doing the same stuff for 5 years now.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
LA wasn't good last season and Doughty was the best defenseman in the league. Ristolainen has been doing the same stuff for 5 years now.

Doughty has a lot of wear and tear too, could be on the downside? Dont see him often to know

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Doughty has a lot of wear and tear too, could be on the downside? Dont see him often to know
Could be, but I doubt it. He's been too good for too long to fall off so drastically. If he sucks again next year I might buy it, but for now he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I don’t understand why people want him to bulk up. He is what he is, the potential to be Toby Enstrom - We tried this with Myers and it failed miserably.

Lol. As I read this again, I realize you were referring to the way he looks, more so to the way he looks on the ice.

Still - I hated when Ruff tried to turn Myers’ potential to be Niedermayer into some wet dream that he could instead become Chara.

Just let the players develop into their best natural selves, Sabres. Is that so much to ask?

EDIT: Quoted my own post instead of Aladdyn’s. I really suck at this website on the mobile version.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Disappointed that he feels so beaten down that he's turned down going to the WC's. It seems like having a fresh opportunity to play for his country and with new people would have been good for him, but he's decided to not attend:

Leijonille iso takaisku: Rasmus Ristolainen ei lähde MM-kisoihin – kommentoi suorasanaisesti päätöstään

He heard there's a surplus of demand for large tires needed to be flipped back home, and he saw it as an opportunity to work out more.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I do not want to see any pictures of Risto working out this year or shirtless showing off how pumped he is like the last 2 off seasons. I want to see a picture of him in front of a TV monitor studying video of where he should be on the ice.
You don't want him working out? How odd.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad