Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Is he bad again?

His CF% and CF% rel are both bad, but he's on pace for career high goals and assists. And he dropped a 107 -mph clapper in the skills competition. In conclusion, Rasmus Ristolainen is a land of contrasts.

And so, to answer your question, I don't know.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I think he's a #4 guy, maybe a #5 on a really good team. When looking at league comparables, I'm struggling to find someone like him. I know some people think he is Burns-lite, but I don't see the offensive talent.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I think he's a #4 guy, maybe a #5 on a really good team. When looking at league comparables, I'm struggling to find someone like him. I know some people think he is Burns-lite, but I don't see the offensive talent.
Hes definitely better than a #4....are you kidding? There is only 2 teams that probably have 3 better defenseman than Risto.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

There is not a single team in the league with 4 better defenseman. There might be 1-2 with 3 better, but, even then, I doubt those third wheels would shine much if thrust into the kind of role Risto plays. Guess we're light on "good" teams these days.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
There is not a single team in the league with 4 better defenseman. There might be 1-2 with 3 better, but, even then, I doubt those third wheels would shine much if thrust into the kind of role Risto plays. Guess we're light on "good" teams these days.
It's very hard to tell where he'd be best slotted, but it'd probably be tough to find a Top 4 around the league that he wouldn't fit into. I think he's best suited on a second pair, but also needs a very competent/quick thinking partner (i.e. Pilut). Not having to play with a Gorges or struggling Scandella has done wonders for his game. If only our coach weren't a blind ass bag.

Reactions: Chainshot

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Besides being excellent on the puck he protects our team like Bogo in a failed era without a real enforcer..

giphy.gif

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Do we have another combustible TOI number here, a la Sekera?! :sarcasm:

00:00-23:59 = 11gp, 7-3-1, 15pts, 42gf vs 26ga; stats: 2+5=7, -02, 6pim
24:00-25:59 = 14gp, 4-8-2, 10pts, 27gf vs 44ga; stats: 2+6=8, -13, 8pim
26:00-27:59 = 15gp, 9-4-2, 20pts, 46gf vs 43ga; stats: 1+7=8, +04, 8pim
28:00-29:59 = 03gp, 2-1-0, 04pts, 10gf vs 09ga; stats: 0+1=1, +01, 0pim
30:00-31:59 = 02gp, 1-0-1, 03pts, 08gf vs 08ga; stats: 0+3=2, +01, 0pim

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Besides being excellent on the puck he protects our team like Bogo in a failed era without a real enforcer..
Wait, what?

I mean, if you replace posturing with protecting, then ok.

Risto has strengths to go along with the warts, but that's not one of them.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Cool, the next guy to run out of town.

This team....

The problem is Sabres have primed the pump for a trade that will not maximize value. Instead of pumping his stats, we negatively impacted them.

Sabres do this time and and time again. (You are trading Kane at deadline so you take him off Eichel lane and also put him on second PP. Boom he scores less.)

Buffalo is now going to ask a team to look through its use of Risto to value him — maybe you find a buyer but you suppressed demand and that can’t be good.

You could bring him back and actually commit him to less D zone starts and minutes to boost his numbers and get him in a better spot.

Sabres won’t do this. He will go to a more offensive team, score 12 goals mid 50 points and his pluse minus/possession numbers will be bad but not as bad. And the team making the deal won’t care because they gave up a draft pick, a borderline second line centre and threw in a cap dump to the dumb as sh*t Sabres. And they have a 3/4 d man for $5.4 M.

This could happen. Don’t think so?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The problem is Sabres have primed the pump for a trade that will not maximize value. Instead of pumping his stats, we negatively impacted them.

Sabres do this time and and time again. (You are trading Kane at deadline so you take him off Eichel lane and also put him on second PP. Boom he scores less.)

Buffalo is now going to ask a team to look through its use of Risto to value him — maybe you find a buyer but you suppressed demand and that can’t be good.

You could bring him back and actually commit him to less D zone starts and minutes to boost his numbers and get him in a better spot.

Sabres won’t do this. He will go to a more offensive team, score 12 goals mid 50 points and his pluse minus/possession numbers will be bad but not as bad. And the team making the deal won’t care because they gave up a draft pick, a borderline second line centre and threw in a cap dump to the dumb as sh*t Sabres. And they have a 3/4 d man for $5.4 M.

This could happen. Don’t think so?

I fear them getting fleeced again and your take on how they're maneuvering value-wise is bang on.

The only guy who's made his shot metrics average was Pilut and they f***ed that up. They also drew down his minutes in those games and spread the responsibilities out more, including Bogo in more of a shutdown role.

If they want to fix Risto rather than just ship him out, give Broke some of those d-zone minutes, knowing it isn't going to go well. But that would involve moving Broke away from Dahlin and that goes back to Phil not being adept enough to adjust from his summer crib notes on his lineup. Dahlin-Nelson actually was a thing that worked early in the season. If he's going to keep the o-zone heavy starts, why not go back to them? It's all about quick retrieval and outletting smartly and accurately with those two.

I fully expect Botterill to get taken to the woodshed in a Ristolainen deal and for PHam and Harrington and others to sell it to the mob as necessary, all the while the team continues to bleed talent.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I fear them getting fleeced again and your take on how they're maneuvering value-wise is bang on.

The only guy who's made his shot metrics average was Pilut and they ****ed that up. They also drew down his minutes in those games and spread the responsibilities out more, including Bogo in more of a shutdown role.

If they want to fix Risto rather than just ship him out, give Broke some of those d-zone minutes, knowing it isn't going to go well. But that would involve moving Broke away from Dahlin and that goes back to Phil not being adept enough to adjust from his summer crib notes on his lineup. Dahlin-Nelson actually was a thing that worked early in the season. If he's going to keep the o-zone heavy starts, why not go back to them? It's all about quick retrieval and outletting smartly and accurately with those two.

I fully expect Botterill to get taken to the woodshed in a Ristolainen deal and for PHam and Harrington and others to sell it to the mob as necessary, all the while the team continues to bleed talent.
His value must be at a low point..
There is no reason to run him into the ground now that Montour is here.
But we got a conservative, rigid, scared coach...

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Pos: 50-60 pt 2nd line center until Mittelstadt matures. Helps PP 1/2, term, 3M less than Duchesne.

Neg: History of injury, not very physical.

Is it? Aside from when he rides shotgun to McDavid (i.e., this year), RNH typically barely outscores Ristolainen, and it's not like he brings a ton outside of scoring.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
RNH is turning 26 in 2 weeks and before this season he had never hit 60+ points, his career high was 56 and had only hit 50+ 3 times in his career. A 40 point top 4 RHD> a 55 point forward.

I would build a package around the STL 1st+ for RNH but not Risto. I want to see Risto here once Dahlin takes on his minutes and the bottom pairing is improved. Risto playing 21 minutes a night with better D mates will be a vastly superior player to how he performs now.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Is it? Aside from when he rides shotgun to McDavid (i.e., this year), RNH typically barely outscores Ristolainen, and it's not like he brings a ton outside of scoring.
I wouldn’t go with no brainer but it should be considered.
I haven’t seen him with McDavid in a while quite honestly. But he was scoring at a better clip when with McDavid obviously. But there may be less support in Edmonton than in Buffalo. So if he’s not on the big line it’s tough to pick up points. He has good instincts and sees the ice pretty well.

I could see him having chemistry with Reinhart. Both smart and cerebral players. Could be the start to a good top 6. Skinner Eichel duo + RNH Reinhart duo with Mittlestadt getting easy match ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->