Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
this is what relativecorsi% is all about. The stats show he doesn't make the team defensively better when he's on the ice. This is not the end all and be all, but a clear red flag

e5eb4b73a2d5c68fb048f97f0b32d6a4.png

Oh for christ sake lol

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
This move by Rasmus and Mike Liut to bring him in unsigned to practice is a major PR coup. I have already heard anecdotes like "this proves he is committed to Buffalo long term!" "This shows he is a team first guy!", etc. If he ends up missing significant time and playing part time in Finland in the interim... there will be major major pressure on the Sabres mgmt to PAY THE MAN.... and maybe now they will. Shrewd move Mr. Liut! :nod:

I don't think this "shrewd mood" will have much bearing on negotiations. If TM thought it would, then he would have denied Ristolainen his request to be on the ice.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Because when he is on the ice so are the other teams best players and he is 21 and shouldn't be expected to carry his partner and dominate elite talent. I don't think many other young dmen would have significantly better advanced stats in his position.

I don't mind when articles or fans reference advanced stats and call him overrated but then all too often they don't talk at all about the actual game on the ice. Other than defensive zone awareness and the odd bonehead pass (both very coachable and understandable at his age) I really don't see what makes anyone call him overrated in terms of his game. Yes he wore down from the huge minutes but he is big, agile, smart, extremely competitive, takes his job seriously, has a huge shot, is great in transition, loves to play physical, has shown clutch ability, etc.

Because nobody besides Sabres fans has watched him enough to know any of these things.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Being on the ice to practice also shows the team good faith. It doesn't build up resentment and shows he is willing to prepare for the coming season.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Being on the ice to practice also shows the team good faith. It doesn't build up resentment and shows he is willing to prepare for the coming season.

Exactly. Simple gesture of good faith. It goes a lot further than Lindholm practicing with Rogle, Trouba requesting a trade, Kucherov saying he won't report to camp, etc.

It's a small gesture that goes a long way.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For Buffalo it definitely is good that RR wants to practise with the team, gives them the chance to play him with Kulikov and them time to start building some chemistry.
Him also staying in Buffalo means he is 100% ready to go from the moment they sign the contract.

To me this shows he doesn't want to hurt the team and the playoff chances.

Lindholm is spending his time in Sweden, which could hurt Anaheims start even if he signs before the season starts.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I believe in the following statement
Ristolainen can't be compared with these other defensemen using raw stats because his situation is not comparable to any of them in the slightest

This is why 8 am thinking we will see a 3 yr contract extension st around $4M

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm big on values like trust and loyalty. Ristolainen is showing both. Goes a long way with me. I'd budge on my number if I were Murray.

JOVIS*

I'm big on values like trust and loyalty. Ristolainen is showing both. Goes a long way with me. I'd budge on my number if I were Murray.

as i said.. very shrewd move by Liut! this has dramatically swung any would-be PR battle squarely into Risto's favor :laugh:

I bet Murray is already regretting allowing him to practice without a contract, and will be regretting it more when Rasmus is in Finland :D

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Pay the man today.

Honestly. Pay him. If a guys willing to do that...

And oh yeah, he's your #1 d....

He can sign a $30-33m contract tomorrow if he wants to. That would be perfectly fair. I'm sure the Sabres would love for him to take the Rielly/Jones contracts.

The problem is that he's better than Hamilton, Jones and Reilly and they all signed...so you know teams are trying to use those as the numbers for Lindholm, Risto and Trouba (though he has other reasons too). All 3 are above the ones who have signed and they know it.

That's an opinion disguised as a fact.

That still doesn't account for situation. Is it not also possible the reason why the team did worse when Risto was on the ice is because Risto was always matched against top lines and when he was off the ice the competition was weaker?

Isn't more likely that, over the course of the season, Risto is on the ice with Buffalo's other top players (e.g., ROR) against the opponents' top players, and Buffalo's "secondary" players are playing against opponents' secondary players.

RelCor% doesn't take Risto's situation into account. It doesn't account for the fact that his teammates got easier minutes when he was off the ice because he was the one being thrown to the wolves over and over which would naturally lead to their numbers without him being better.

His teammates also likely did not play with Buffalo's top players. It's a real concern that he doesn't seem to move the needle in a positive direction relative to his teammates. He has great tools, but, starting this year, we need to see that translating to better possession when he's on the ice.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

His teammates also likely did not play with Buffalo's top players. It's a real concern that he doesn't seem to move the needle in a positive direction relative to his teammates. He has great tools, but, starting this year, we need to see that translating to better possession when he's on the ice.

That creates the question how good have Buffalos top forwards been during RR's time and how do they compare against other top lines in the league?
I'd say not very well.

This year I expect his numbers to improve, Gorges replaced by Kulikov, Reinhart and Eichel aren't rookies anymore, and Risto has played 1 full season in #1D role.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I wonder how much Risto will improve naturally this year. Imo if he could develop an extra gear speed wise it would present him with a lot of opportunities.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Agree on the Jones and Reilly comparisons Zip. Both are completely comparable to him and great players.

And I agree that I need to see his possession numbers increase in the near future (1-2 years). I do think though that Gorges honestly has that big of a negative effect on his corsi numbers that looking at them is irrelevant at this point (considering they are up against opponents top players). Would love to see what his numbers if he were with a Fowler or Faulk. Even a Lovejoy.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Agree on the Jones and Reilly comparisons Zip. Both are completely comparable to him and great players.

And I agree that I need to see his possession numbers increase in the near future (1-2 years). I do think though that Gorges honestly has that big of a negative effect on his corsi numbers that looking at them is irrelevant at this point (considering they are up against opponents top players). Would love to see what his numbers if he were with a Fowler or Faulk. Even a Lovejoy.

I think they're comparable, but if he gets an 8yr deal, he should be right around $6m-$6.5m AAV.
I just hope that's what he gets.

IMO it'll end at 8yrs-$50M $6.25AAV

JOVIS*

Andrew Peters has been saying for the past 2 days on Hockey Hotline that "a little birdy told him the Sabres offer is currently 6 years @ 4.5 per ". This is after months of negotiating! No way they end up anywhere near 6

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Andrew Peters has been saying for the past 2 days on Hockey Hotline that "a little birdy told him the Sabres offer is currently 6 years @ 4.5 per ". This is after months of negotiating! No way they end up anywhere near 6

No wonder Risto is not signed. That's an insulting offer.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC

They're playing hardball for sure, but if they can lock Risto up just above 5, it will pay off in the long run. I would say 5 is great for the Sabres, 5.5 is probably right on all around, 6 is a touch high but reasonable, 6.5 is definite overpayment, and 7 is jump off a bridge.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

6 years @ $4.5m is a pretty garbage offer. It's less than what pretty much any player mentioned as a comparable has gotten. As a starting position it could be believable, but months down the line? I'm not sure I can take Peters seriously here.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
6 years @ $4.5m is a pretty garbage offer. It's less than what pretty much any player mentioned as a comparable has gotten. As a starting position it could be believable, but months down the line? I'm not sure I can take Peters seriously here.

Maybe they're using Klinkberg's deal as a comparable?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Maybe they're using Klinkberg's deal as a comparable?

Good point on Klingberg as his deal didn't come to mind. The problem with that is that there are many other comparables that say more along the lines of $5.5-5.75m, with Rielly more in the middle at $5m.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I bet the two sides came in at $4.5 vs $6.5, with either side only willing to cave-in a half mil or so. That still leaves them a million apart at $5 vs $6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad