Not open for further replies.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
The QoC stat still has a very long way to go

Agree.

It's so annoying when people seem to know definitions of stats yet don't use any common sense in interpreting them. Example.

Qot. If Gorges has Risto as a partner 90 ****ing percent of the time he's on the ice, maybe we shouldn't make a "factual" conclusion off of what happens the other 10% of the time. If qot stats look at how a player performs away from said partner, it's probably not a good idea to base your opinion and say, "Gorges is awesome and Risto sucks since his corsi away from Risto is better and he improves teammates corsi. Risto does the opposite and makes teammates corsi worse.

Maybe stop and think, "Hey maybe I shouldn't base something off of 10% of someone's ice time." Especially considering when Gorges isn't on the ice with Risto, he's facing lesser competition. Simultaneously when not with Risto, he's on the ice with Pysyk, who's the advanced stats darling.

On the other hand, Risto has someone like Cola or McCabe in his rookie season take Gorges' spot and play against top competition. It's not a surprise their corsi isn't great in those situations.

And this all being based off of 5-20% of players's ice times.

Just an example of stupid things I've come across. Sorry, rant over.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Oh...I thought there was some Risto news today.

Clearly not.

There was on his and Lindholms contract demands from Bob Mackenzie. Who they were using as comparable and who management was and what that meant for the contracts. That's what set off the discussion about Risto vs Lindholm and some of the players.

The salary demands were posted in the thread.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Seems pretty cut and dried that $6m x years is the right number...a little bit more than Jones/Reilly, but considerably less than Ekblad. Both Risto and Lindholm are going to get nearly identical deals, both agents are just waiting for the other domino to fall.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There was on his and Lindholms contract demands from Bob Mackenzie. Who they were using as comparable and who management was and what that meant for the contracts. That's what set off the discussion about Risto vs Lindholm and some of the players.

The salary demands were posted in the thread.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-...le-lines-ristolainen-lindholm-contract-talks/

NHL Insider Bob McKenzie made an appearance early Tuesday evening on Toronto’s TSN 1050, and toward the end he shed some light into the contract negotiations for two key restricted free agent defensemen.

“Right now, the reason Rasmus Ristolainen in Buffalo and Hampus Lindholm in Anaheim – and we’ll see what happens with Trouba on the contract front, not the trade front – the reason why those guys right now aren’t signed is because Buffalo and Anaheim are saying, ‘Morgan Rielly is making $5 million for the next six years. Seth Jones is making 5.4 for the next six years. So we’re not giving you more than those guys.’

“And those other guys are saying, ‘Okay, we know that the Aaron Ekblad deal at eight years X 7.5 in Florida might be a bit of an outlier compared to all of the other young defensemen coming out of entry level; but 7.5 to him, it’s a comparable. So if we’re not at 7.5, we should be at 6, 6.5.’

“So that’s where the battle lines are drawn for Rasmus Ristolainen and Hampus Lindholm, vis-a-vis the comparables of Rielly, Jones at one end, (and) maybe Dougie Hamilton at 5.75 – or Aaron Ekblad at the high end.€

For those that missed it earlier.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Seems pretty cut and dried that $6m x years is the right number...a little bit more than Jones/Reilly, but considerably less than Ekblad. Both Risto and Lindholm are going to get nearly identical deals, both agents are just waiting for the other domino to fall.

I can understand why Murray wouldn't want to go considerably above Seth Jones' number for Risto.

Unless it's an 8 year deal, then $6 to $6.5M makes sense.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I can understand why Murray wouldn't want to go considerably above Seth Jones' number for Risto.

Unless it's an 8 year deal, then $6 to $6.5M makes sense.

I can totally understand why he wouldn't want to, but he'll almost certainly have to...the guy who signs last almost always gets more, and when Jones inked his deal it was almost universally regarded as a very team-friendly deal.

$6 million x 8 years would make me very, very happy but realistically I think it would take $6.75 to get Risto to sign for that term.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
This has to be one of the creepier tweets I've seen from a professional journalist/reporter. I'm picturing him with his eye pressed against a peephole just outside the locker room. :laugh:

Wait for the "Rasmus has now changed out of his gym clothes" tweet.

Paul Hamilton on the play by play.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Disco Dan: "We will see Rasmus back on the ice"

Risto has asked TM if he can skate with his teammates.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Practice with no deal? Man is crazy. How do you negotiate with a mad man?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
His agent must be fuming. That really is insane.

Hopefully his agent understands who works for whom.

"Everyone knows how dedicated he is to his training, and he wanted to continue to build on the gains he made this summer," agent Mike Liut said in an email to The Buffalo News. "He skipped the World Championship so he would have a full 16-week training session leading up to the World Cup, so he's more prepared than ever and wants to keep it that way.

"In the end, this made sense to him, at least in the short term."

It sounds like he does.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
His agent must be fuming. That really is insane.

After screaming expletives, agent Mike Liut was able to chill out and write a very calm email:

"Everyone knows how dedicated he is to his training, and he wanted to continue to build on the gains he made this summer," agent Mike Liut said in an email to The Buffalo News. "He skipped the World Championship so he would have a full 16-week training session leading up to the World Cup, so he's more prepared than ever and wants to keep it that way.

"In the end, this made sense to him, at least in the short term."

TBN

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
This has to be one of the creepier tweets I've seen from a professional journalist/reporter. I'm picturing him with his eye pressed against a peephole just outside the locker room. :laugh:

I imagine it looking a lot like this:
reverse-1239354244_peter-griffin-peeping.gif

And I'm psyched that he wants to practice with the team. He wants to get paid, but refuses to be a primadonna about it. Hard not to love the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad