Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ristolainen seizes opportunity, thriving with extensive responsibilities since Bogosian's injury

Twelve of the last 13 games have seen Risto play over 20min/gm.... 7 straight over 24 minutes...And he's thriving IMO

How about what he has done since being thrust into the role of No. 1 defenseman when Zach Bogosian was sidelined by injury five games ago? In those five contests, beginning with the last game in Nashville, Ristolainen saw 24:23, 24:06, 28:23, 28:11, and 28:36 respectively. Four of those games were against “playoff” teams (NSH, BOS, WSH, NYR), and all of it is bewildering when you consider the facts....

Goes specifically into four areas that have been shining in his game over the last month, and even more so in the last five games since he has been the top guy with Bogosian down.

Over the last 13 games, he has shown an improvement in how he aids the offense in the opponent’s zone. There has been a lot more joining of the rush, and at times when it is appropriate, not just free form or on a timeframe. A perfect example is the Boston goal from last Wednesday – he’s picking his spots and not showing any hesitation. A millisecond of hesitance in other leagues may be permissible, but in the NHL....

Over the course of the year, and in particular the last 13 games, Ristolainen has noticeably raised the level of anticipation in a positive way. When he goes to get the puck in the corner, he’s looking over his shoulder to assess the oncoming forecheck prior to actually getting to the puck. When he circles the net with the puck on the breakout, he’s looking at where all of his teammates are going, not just the one he plans to move the puck to.

Lastly, not lost on me is the fact that there hasn’t really been any funk — no rookie wall or sophomore slump, depending on what true status you want to peg him with. MORE...

He's 20 years old! Considering what's around him, I'd say he, too, deserves a bit of praise amidst the disaster.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
As long as we continues our right side will be very good next season already. Him and Bogosian can anchor the top two pairings.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
This may seem subtle, but if you have that deep knowledge of the game, you understand that the release of a defenseman’s shot at the point is an understated factor in determining his effectiveness on the offensive side.

Love this line, as a philosophy Major you see this in everything we read. If you're as smart and well versed as I am then you'd already know this. However, in this case it's very true. Such an underrated part of an offensive game is how many times you get that shot through. So much of Ray Bourque's threat was that it was almost a lock that if he was shooting it was making it on net. Myers always seamed to have trouble getting the shot through on the PP and it's encouraging that Risto seams to be a little better suited at it. While not in my opinion any kind of deciding factor if a D is good or bad, in the top pairing, especially in a 28min D it adds up over a season.

13 game discussion, while I agree with all the points, it would be hypocritical of me if I didn't point out that's it's still a pretty small sample size, I've been a break pumper for Larsson and Weber and I'll be that again here, need to see a #1 D play better than he has so far for a full season, but all signs are encouraging, fully expect him to be a solid break out candidate next season

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I didn't see much of the game last night. How do you guys think he matched up against Seth Jones?

He was better, Jones made a couple terrible reads. One specifically caused a 2-1 which Buffalo almost scored on.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Wow, that's a great article. So many online writers are too busy parroting stats to focus on the overall picture. It's clear that this writer knows the defensive game and knows Risto's play. I'd trade 20 articles that vomit stats and call it analysis for one well thought out article like this. And not having any egregious grammatical/syntax errors is just icing on the cake.

Really happy that Risto is improving and showing his worth, especially in a season of disappointments like this one. He's the reason I can afford to spend my time worrying mainly about our future offense.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I mentioned it in the GDT yesterday. He's become a lot more assertive in the offensive zone as the season has gone on.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Wow, that's a great article. So many online writers are too busy parroting stats to focus on the overall picture. It's clear that this writer knows the defensive game and knows Risto's play. I'd trade 20 articles that vomit stats and call it analysis for one well thought out article like this. And not having any egregious grammatical/syntax errors is just icing on the cake.

Really happy that Risto is improving and showing his worth, especially in a season of disappointments like this one. He's the reason I can afford to spend my time worrying mainly about our future offense.

The author was Jbuds

I know, it's embarrassing how some of these writers use advanced stats. The WPG beat writer wrote that Scheifele was better the Nugent Hopkins because Edmonton doesn't trust RNH in the defensive zone :rolleyes:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I mentioned it in the GDT yesterday. He's become a lot more assertive in the offensive zone as the season has gone on.

Assertion is a gold word. Have praised and heard many praise that from him. He's more aggressive and assertive in the zone and rips more shots. He seems to be coming along very well and is doing well in the role given

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I love his physicality too he's not afraid to step up and take the body something we rarely saw from Myers. Risto has been laying some huge hits the past couple games

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
As soon as Myers was dealt, I noticed Ristolainen carrying the puck up the ice with authority.

He's doing a great job with that. Not going like a bullet out of s gun every time he gets the puck - picking his spots.

I've also loved his stick work on the defensive lately. He's been pulling the ol' Beukeboom and tucking his stick a bit closer to his body to create the illusion that the oncoming forward has a bit more room than he actually does.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
He's doing a great job with that. Not going like a bullet out of s gun every time he gets the puck - picking his spots.

I've also loved his stick work on the defensive lately. He's been pulling the ol' Beukeboom and tucking his stick a bit closer to his body to create the illusion that the oncoming forward has a bit more room than he actually does.

Nothing more frustrating for a forward coming in 1-on-1. Absolutely rattled/10

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Love this line, as a philosophy Major you see this in everything we read. If you're as smart and well versed as I am then you'd already know this. However, in this case it's very true. Such an underrated part of an offensive game is how many times you get that shot through. So much of Ray Bourque's threat was that it was almost a lock that if he was shooting it was making it on net. Myers always seamed to have trouble getting the shot through on the PP and it's encouraging that Risto seams to be a little better suited at it. While not in my opinion any kind of deciding factor if a D is good or bad, in the top pairing, especially in a 28min D it adds up over a season.

13 game discussion, while I agree with all the points, it would be hypocritical of me if I didn't point out that's it's still a pretty small sample size, I've been a break pumper for Larsson and Weber and I'll be that again here, need to see a #1 D play better than he has so far for a full season, but all signs are encouraging, fully expect him to be a solid break out candidate next season

Love this post. So true. Ristolainen is great at getting the puck to the net, noticed that very early on. Thrilled with how he is progressing and he is still very young. Has all the tools and the sky's the limit for him.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Love this post. So true. Ristolainen is great at getting the puck to the net, noticed that very early on. Thrilled with how he is progressing and he is still very young. Has all the tools and the sky's the limit for him.

And the number of wristers and snap shots versus slapshots is balanced, only because that's what being on a bad team calls for: quick release, flash decisions, etc...

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013
i was a little conserned by his dip in the middle of the season and thought maybe he had been playing too much, so all the sweeter to see him rise to the occation and play heavy minutes at the tail of a long year.

I can't wait to see what he does next year

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nothing more frustrating for a forward coming in 1-on-1. Absolutely rattled/10

Yep. Stick work in general is understated when you judge the total package.

Pysyk is great in that area. Active stick, get a guy at his hands, quick low chops that are undetectable... I could go on all day about the D situation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad