Value of: Rasmus Ristolainen to Winnipeg

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Risto isn't a reclamation project. His numbers defensively have improved drastically since Housley's exit.

He's a 1/2 minute eating D with offensive upside.

Nikolaj Elhers is what it will cost. Peg fans will moan, but it doesn't change the price for Risto.
If by 1/2 you mean he's capable of eating 1 or 2 minutes a night without harming his team - I'm with you.

Otherwise this post is insane. Risto as anything other than a #4 beside a partner that can cover his brain farts is a bad idea.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Roslovic and a 2nd/3rd (can't remember what pick Buffalo needs in order to send an offersheet Cirelli's way)
Needs to be their own pick - does Winnipeg have some of Buffalo's picks?

Also Cirelli would likely not sign an offer sheet.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I think Ristolainen would fit in well in Winnipeg, they could feed him some high OZ starts and play to his strengths. If the deal is centered around Roslovic there'd have to be a very heavy add, one that I'd imagine most Jets fans would scoff at.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I’ve thought Risto would be a fit for WPEG. Would he be the main piece, or be part of a larger package?

Heres a crazy one I’m throwing out there...

Reinhart
Ristolainen

for

Laine
+roster player/pick

+roster player/pick

giphy.gif

Reactions: Luc Labelle

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Also Cirelli would likely not sign an offer sheet.

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible, especially if we make Serg the priority and have very little cap space left for Cirelli. Obviously in that circumstance we would try to convince him to take a cheap one-year deal, even if it’s far less than he deserves, with the idea that we can make it up to him next year when we free up more cap space; he might go for that or he might not. In any event I don’t see him signing with Buffalo unless their offer was absurdly high - otherwise if anything I think he’d use it as leverage to force a trade to a place that would pay him more than Tampa could while being more competitive than Buffalo would be.

On the other hand he is from Ontario; I don’t know if his family still lives there but if so it’s not impossible that a lot of money plus the ability to play close to home might outweigh his desire to play for a competitive team.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think Ristolainen would fit in well in Winnipeg, they could feed him some high OZ starts and play to his strengths. If the deal is centered around Roslovic there'd have to be a very heavy add, one that I'd imagine most Jets fans would scoff at.

Jets don’t need a D who can start some high OZ starts......they have Pionk for that and who has been great (arguably our best D this year). Jets need someone who is going to step into high Def zone starts.......not Ristolainen strong suit. Ristolainen would just add to the problems in the defensive zone not help them.

Jets fans are not debating Ristolainen value overall, they’re arguing his fit & value to the Jets.....big difference.

Reactions: Total Cure

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I’ve thought Risto would be a fit for WPEG. Would he be the main piece, or be part of a larger package?

Heres a crazy one I’m throwing out there...

Reinhart
Ristolainen

for

Laine
+roster player/pick
Obviously crazy.

On the other hand after Skinner got 8x9 I'd like to see Laine go to the Sabres just so we can see the NHLs first max contract.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
We’ve been over this discussion many times before. Sabres and Jets fans will never agree on a price.

Risto isn’t getting traded for picks and prospects. If he’s traded, I would think it will be in more of a 1 for 1 hockey style trade.

Roslovic is nowhere near enough for me. Risto is currently used as Buffalo’s #1 defenseman. He’s used in all situations. PP, PK, 3v3 OT.
I don’t see how it makes Buffalo better to trade their current #1 defenseman (not saying Risto is a true #1 or anything. Just talking about his usage) for a 3rd line center.

I mean, Ristolainen has more points this season (and every season, for that matter) than Roslovic.
I would want Ehlers for a Risto, otherwise we can talk about a cheaper defenseman like Miller, or maybe even Montour depending on what the offer would be.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Without getting into the debate over which of you is right, this statement is false. We all have the right to an opinion, but all opinions are NOT of equal value.
On a chat site like this all opinions are of equal value.
Risto for Ehlers is a VERY FAIR trade. In fact (IMO) the Jets win this trade, because Risto is a very big and mean top four D man who puts up points. Those are RARE players. Look how poorly the Jets are doing now they don’t have Big Buff.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Risto for Ehlers is a VERY FAIR trade. In fact (IMO) the Jets win this trade, because Risto is a very big and mean top four D man who puts up points. Those are RARE players. Look how poorly the Jets are doing now they don’t have Big Buff.
No chance the Jets give up Ehlers for Risto.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
What does Buff have to with Risto? You think the Jets are missing Buff just for his PP points? Buff was a legit superstar everywhere on the ice. Getting Risto isn't replacing Buff outside of maybe some PP points. And what is so rare about Risto's point total this year? The Jets have 2 defensemen with 25+ points?

How is Risto being mean help his 5 on 5. Maybe being mean isn't helping time get the puck out of his own end. Give me Pionk over Risto every day of the week and he's 185 lbs.

And you want Ehlers? A guy who is a high end possession player and would be 2nd on the Sabres in even strength points while playing on the Jets 2nd line. I guess you would but it makes no sense for the Jets.

Reactions: Snowman

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
You are dreaming. There isnt really a package buffalo could offer to get ehlers.

Reactions: Fairview

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Risto + Mittlestadt for Copp + Roslivic

whatever picks to even it out

Mittlestadt - Interested in him, he’s struggled to date but might still have a future at some level in the nhl. Fans will never agree on a value due to Sabres fans valuing him as a high pick prospect & Jets fans will value him on what he’s actually achieved to-date. Big difference

Risto - As far as needs go, it’s like trying to force a square peg into circular hole......Risto has some strengths & weaknesses, the problem is his strengths are our strengths and his weaknesses are the Jets biggest needs. So no one saying Risto sucks, people are saying he’s a bad fit on the Jets. Just a horrible fit on the Jets.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You are dreaming. There isnt really a package buffalo could offer to get ehlers.
If the Jets don’t get a guy to do what Big Buff did, they will miss the playoffs for the Laine years.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I wouldn’t say it’s impossible, especially if we make Serg the priority and have very little cap space left for Cirelli. Obviously in that circumstance we would try to convince him to take a cheap one-year deal, even if it’s far less than he deserves, with the idea that we can make it up to him next year when we free up more cap space; he might go for that or he might not. In any event I don’t see him signing with Buffalo unless their offer was absurdly high - otherwise if anything I think he’d use it as leverage to force a trade to a place that would pay him more than Tampa could while being more competitive than Buffalo would be.

On the other hand he is from Ontario; I don’t know if his family still lives there but if so it’s not impossible that a lot of money plus the ability to play close to home might outweigh his desire to play for a competitive team.

Adding a center like Cirelli would go a very long way toward making Buffalo a competitive team. I don't expect he'll move this summer because Tampa is actually competently managed, but if a situation like that arises, I'm all for making a trade.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

No, they are not - not unless you’re being pedantic and referring to the fact that none of us are being paid on this site for our opinions, in which case we can substitute the word “merit” if it will make you feel better. There are educated opinions born from experience and knowledge, formulated logically and supported by fact, and there are uneducated opinions spouted by people who have no clue what they’re talking about, with no rational basis and no supporting evidence. One of those opinions has significantly more value (or if you prefer, merit) than the other; I’ll leave it to you to figure out which one that is.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Adding a center like Cirelli would go a very long way toward making Buffalo a competitive team. I don't expect he'll move this summer because Tampa is actually competently managed, but if a situation like that arises, I'm all for making a trade.

The competence of our management is highly overrated. We have a phenomenal amateur scouting department and have done well with trades, but Yzerman and BriseBois made several questionable to outright bad decisions with regard to signings. So far they’ve done well getting out of the holes they’ve dug for themselves, but this summer will be their biggest challenge yet and I’m not so confident they’ll be able to pull it off.

In any event if we do trade Cirelli I don’t think it’ll be to Buffalo. First because we won’t want to help a division rival with arguably their greatest weakness, second because we won’t want to trade him within the division or even the conference if we can help it, and third because Buffalo doesn’t have much to offer that would entice us and that we can afford in a scenario where we can’t keep Cirelli (unless you wanted to make Cozens available, which I doubt, and even then I’m not sure we’d trade Cirelli to a division rival.)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The competence of our management is highly overrated. We have a phenomenal amateur scouting department and have done well with trades, but Yzerman and BriseBois made several questionable to outright bad decisions with regard to signings. So far they’ve done well getting out of the holes they’ve dug for themselves, but this summer will be their biggest challenge yet and I’m not so confident they’ll be able to pull it off.

In any event if we do trade Cirelli I don’t think it’ll be to Buffalo. First because we won’t want to help a division rival with arguably their greatest weakness, second because we won’t want to trade him within the division or even the conference if we can help it, and third because Buffalo doesn’t have much to offer that would entice us and that we can afford in a scenario where we can’t keep Cirelli (unless you wanted to make Cozens available, which I doubt, and even then I’m not sure we’d trade Cirelli to a division rival.)

Assuming that Tampa would primarily be moving him because of a need for cap space, it'd definitely be a picks and prospects offer. I would not trade Cozens for him, though, no. He's looking very promising, and we have more than 1 hole to fill at center.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Stop with the Ehlers talk...the Sabres have no need for Ehlers with Olofsson and Skinner.

They need a center or a RW, and Roslovic isn't cutting it.

Don't get me wrong, Ehlers is a great player in his own right, but he's not fitting what Buffalo desperately needs right now.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Assuming that Tampa would primarily be moving him because of a need for cap space, it'd definitely be a picks and prospects offer. I would not trade Cozens for him, though, no. He's looking very promising, and we have more than 1 hole to fill at center.

I don’t blame you. The problem (aside from the in-division aspect) is that I don’t know what other prospect Buffalo could offer that would entice us. If we do find ourselves forced to trade Cirelli the number one thing we’d be looking for in return is a prospect with the potential to fill that hole; the ideal trading partner would then be a team with fewer holes than Buffalo that is willing to trade a reasonably high potential center prospect for a more sure and immediate thing. Just not sure what Buffalo could realistically offer us that would not only be better than any other offer, but sufficiently so to cause us to trade Cirelli within the division.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
If the Jets don’t get a guy to do what Big Buff did, they will miss the playoffs for the Laine years.
Oh no, there is only one option and it is ristso for ehlers...what will we do? What a stupid statement...miss the playoffs for the laine years... what kind of drama queen statement is that?

Reactions: TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad