Value of: Rasmus Ristolainen to Winnipeg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sam is not a centre, and defensively not a 200 foot player. A high end second line centre (who contributes offensively while playing excellent over the entire ice) holds a lot of value. Getting that player, even at the cost of Sam and Risto, would definitely make them better.
And please keep you insults to yourself. My ideas carry equal value to yours, and all of us here.

Sam is a decent RW1 option who has made every player he's played with have a better impact in shots for and against. He plays a 200' game.

As for high-end 2nd line centers, I'm on record as thinking that fetish is bordering on the ridiculous for Sabre fans. Get centers who can play in the middle of the lineup behind Jack. The specificity of point tier and slotting by role is self-limiting when they have two lines being centered by wingers almost every single night, with their only other effective non-Eichel line having a pivot about to quietly hit UFA. If those centers are Soderberg and Jankowski or Ryan Carpenter, so be it. But caving talent to shuffle around positionally remains foolish.

I didn't insult you. I insulted your idea. It's foolish.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If the Jets can find a replacement C from within, Little + would help the Sabres in the short term. But as much as I think Risto would fit in Winnipeg, I don't see a fit between the 2 teams.

Not interested in taking on Little's contract. The term and his decline in play make that a non-starter without retention.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
How much of Risto and his struggles are associated with the team that he plays on? Have they ever been good since he's been there?

he's young enough that you could see him as a reclamation project but he'd have to be priced accordingly

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How much of Risto and his struggles are associated with the team that he plays on? Have they ever been good since he's been there?

he's young enough that you could see him as a reclamation project but he'd have to be priced accordingly

No, his deficits are very much on him and not the team. He does not move the puck smartly to open options so he is easier to forecheck and thus remains in his own zone more, piling up the chances against, etc... His only times playing "well" have been two strings where he had a dedicated breakout partner (last year with Pilut and this year with Montour playing on his off-hand side). This season's spate also was in part due to use (more in the o-zone starts) and cutting back on his minutes (down to around 22). More minutes than that or with partners like Gorges or Scandella who struggle in their own right with moving the puck out of the zone, and it's definitely a lot of quality against.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
No, his deficits are very much on him and not the team. He does not move the puck smartly to open options so he is easier to forecheck and thus remains in his own zone more, piling up the chances against, etc... His only times playing "well" have been two strings where he had a dedicated breakout partner (last year with Pilut and this year with Montour playing on his off-hand side). This season's spate also was in part due to use (more in the o-zone starts) and cutting back on his minutes (down to around 22). More minutes than that or with partners like Gorges or Scandella who struggle in their own right with moving the puck out of the zone, and it's definitely a lot of quality against.

Thx for the clarification

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sam is a decent RW1 option who has made every player he's played with have a better impact in shots for and against. He plays a 200' game.

As for high-end 2nd line centers, I'm on record as thinking that fetish is bordering on the ridiculous for Sabre fans. Get centers who can play in the middle of the lineup behind Jack. The specificity of point tier and slotting by role is self-limiting when they have two lines being centered by wingers almost every single night, with their only other effective non-Eichel line having a pivot about to quietly hit UFA. If those centers are Soderberg and Jankowski or Ryan Carpenter, so be it. But caving talent to shuffle around positionally remains foolish.

I didn't insult you. I insulted your idea. It's foolish.

Two responses to my posts, and you use three very insulting words: daft, ridiculous, and foolish. You can package those words however you wish, but they are clearly insulting.
Sam is not a 200 foot centre. Risto is not a top pair D man
The Sabres have no centre to take the hard minutes.
It would be an extremely wise trade to get help for Eichel. He’s a great player, and deserves to play his minutes in an offensive a role as possible. IMO the Sabres would instantly be a better team if that trade was made.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Two responses to my posts, and you use three very insulting words: daft, ridiculous, and foolish. You can package those words however you wish, but they are clearly insulting.
It would be an extremely wise trade to get help for Eichel. He’s a great player, and deserves to play his minutes in an offensive a role as possible. IMO the Sabres would instantly be a better team if that trade was made.

To the first part, do you always have a hard time separating criticism of an idea from the person delivering the idea?

You know how they would’ve been eminently a better team? If they had spent trade capital on guys like Haula and Soderberg or signed a free agent like Ryan Carpenter.

What 50+ point 200’ centers are you targeting? Name some names.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Maybe the Sabres can find a guy like Ryan O'Reilly to fill that 2c hole.

Reactions: jgimp

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
I’ve thought Risto would be a fit for WPEG. Would he be the main piece, or be part of a larger package?

Heres a crazy one I’m throwing out there...

Reinhart
Ristolainen

for

Laine
+roster player/pick
IMO from a Jets standpoint that would be more like throwing up not out.......

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I've been advocating for Risto to winnipeg since the summer. I think he may be better here than in buffalo, much like pionk.

That said, the problem is that his value is more than roslovic/vesalainen but less than ehlers. The jets don't have the one piece value wise that equals his.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Risto and a 2nd for Wheeler? Sabres could probably use a 90 pt guy with veteran leadership qualities.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And Risto isn’t even worth half of Ehlers. Ehelrs is the Jets best winger.
Is Ehlers the Jets best winger? Aren’t Connor and Wheeler wingers? I like Ehlers, especially after he stoop up to RG, but I thought the Jets had better wingers and needed D

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Is Ehlers the Jets best winger? Aren’t Connor and Wheeler wingers? I like Ehlers, especially after he stoop up to RG, but I thought the Jets had better wingers and needed D
They need D badly.
Ehlers > Connor and I like Connor

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think there's no better likely pick-up here other than Ristolainen for the right side.

I would think Ristolainen for Appleton and a 4th 2020 wouldn't be a bad trade.

If we were to do Roslovic for Ristolainen then Buffalo would need to add two conditional draft picks, 2021 and 2022 respectively. Both based on Roslovic's production or potential contract with Buffalo, but I think they would start as 4th/5th round picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troy

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
There is no way you get Ehlers for Risto. Roslovic or Appleton yes. Your living in a dreamworld if you think the price should be Ehlers

Reactions: Huffer

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

Risto isn't a reclamation project. His numbers defensively have improved drastically since Housley's exit.

He's a 1/2 minute eating D with offensive upside.

Nikolaj Elhers is what it will cost. Peg fans will moan, but it doesn't change the price for Risto.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think there's no better likely pick-up here other than Ristolainen for the right side.

I would think Ristolainen for Appleton and a 4th 2020 wouldn't be a bad trade.

If we were to do Roslovic for Ristolainen then Buffalo would need to add two conditional draft picks, 2021 and 2022 respectively. Both based on Roslovic's production or potential contract with Buffalo, but I think they would start as 4th/5th round picks.

Imagine thinking Buffalo adds to get a center who can't even outscore Risto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad