Rasmus Ristolainen battle with Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
He was having a great start of the season, the best he's had with the Sabres. Looks like hes facing a long recovery. He also is a workout junky all summer long in Finland. One of the most fit and healthy Sabres. Really goes to show it can hit anyone.

https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000007814144.html

Ristolainen has been suffering from a bad case of COVID-19

- Says he has gone through every possible symptom. He has asked around the league and no one else has had it this bad.

- His oxygen levels had dropped significantly and doing anything at all made him extremely tired

-After a couple of days his symptoms got better only to come back in a different form, chest pains for an example.

-When he had his chest pains, he felt like his heart is going to rip in two when walking up the stairs. Says couple of nights he felt like he wasn't sure if he's going to wake up.

-"I got healthy papers from the doctors but physically I am in such a bad shape that i have a long road ahead of me until I'm fit to play." (Despite this he also says that he can maybe see himself coming back some time next week, but not certain)

He sarcastically remarks that of course if he's going to get it, he'd get it when he's playing the best hockey of his career.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I feel for the guy. I worked as a PT for many years leading up to the pandemic. I caught Covid last March and my breathing til this day is effected. I'm only 28, I still look great and have the same strength I had before, but the cardio took a massive hit. Not able to do HIIT or Cardio training to the same levels I was before. But it is gradually getting better. It effects people differently, hopefully he'll recover sooner rather than later. You can literally feel your lungs/heart working hard to keep you going, it's pretty shitty and mentally frustrating at times. He most likely had pneumonia from covid, it's a different type of pneumonia, it swells the inside of your lungs rather than filling them with water. It takes a while for them to recover.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He was having a great start of the season, the best he's had with the Sabres. Looks like hes facing a long recovery. He also is a workout junky all summer long in Finland. One of the most fit and healthy Sabres. Really goes to show it can hit anyone.

https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000007814144.html

Ristolainen has been suffering from a bad case of COVID-19

- Says he has gone through every possible symptom. He has asked around the league and no one else has had it this bad.

- His oxygen levels had dropped significantly and doing anything at all made him extremely tired

-After a couple of days his symptoms got better only to come back in a different form, chest pains for an example.

-When he had his chest pains, he felt like his heart is going to rip in two when walking up the stairs. Says couple of nights he felt like he wasn't sure if he's going to wake up.

-"I got healthy papers from the doctors but physically I am in such a bad shape that i have a long road ahead of me until I'm fit to play." (Despite this he also says that he can maybe see himself coming back some time next week, but not certain)

He sarcastically remarks that of course if he's going to get it, he'd get it when he's playing the best hockey of his career.
Myles Garrett who is one of the biggest freaks in the NFL got it, and was playing like a DPOY front-runner, and wasn't the same afterward. Flashes would appear, but he didn't regain that consistency snap to snap he had pre-covid. And, you are talking about one of the most special athletes in a league filled with insane athletes.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Myles Garrett who is one of the biggest freaks in the NFL got it, and was playing like a DPOY front-runner, and wasn't the same afterward. Flashes would appear, but he didn't regain that consistency snap to snap he had pre-covid. And, you are talking about one of the most special athletes in a league filled with insane athletes.
That is crazy. I didn't even know that. Such a humbling experience.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I feel for the guy. I worked as a PT for many years leading up to the pandemic. I caught Covid last March and my breathing til this day is effected. I'm only 28, I still look great and have the same strength I had before, but the cardio took a massive hit. Not able to do HIIT or Cardio training to the same levels I was before. But it is gradually getting better. It effects people differently, hopefully he'll recover sooner rather than later. You can literally feel your lungs/heart working hard to keep you going, it's pretty shitty and mentally frustrating at times. He most likely had pneumonia from covid, it's a different type of pneumonia, it swells the inside of your lungs rather than filling them with water. It takes a while for them to recover.

Your lungs still haven't recovered from almost a year ago? That is crazy...and some people have the nerve to still call this the flu. Can't wait to get my vaccine.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Your lungs still haven't recovered from almost a year ago? That is crazy...and some people have the nerve to still call this the flu. Can't wait to get my vaccine.
They're significantly better but not close to 100%. I'd routinely hit 45 mins on the stairmaster every 2nd morning at a slow pace. Or jump rope for 30ish mins, HIIT sprints for 15-20 mins. Just 1 week after beating the virus my cardio was gone to shits. I couldn't do the stairmaster for more than 10 minutes, HIIT sprints were 5 mins long maximum, getting out of breath during heavy weight sets. It's getting back to where it was but it takes a while to fully recover.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Yeah I love the browns you could see a clear difference in his game. Even Cam Newton looked very off after he caught it early on.

Reactions: Alwalys

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah I love the browns you could see a clear difference in his game. Even Cam Newton looked very off after he caught it early on.
Didn't know another Leafs/Browns fan was around. Was a great season last year. But, yeah, he still had occasional splash plays but he didn't look the same. Hopefully, both he and Risto aren't long-term impacted by it.

Reactions: AvroArrow

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
They're significantly better but not close to 100%. I'd routinely hit 45 mins on the stairmaster every 2nd morning at a slow pace. Or jump rope for 30ish mins, HIIT sprints for 15-20 mins. Just 1 week after beating the virus my cardio was gone to shits. I couldn't do the stairmaster for more than 10 minutes, HIIT sprints were 5 mins long maximum, getting out of breath during heavy weight sets. It's getting back to where it was but it takes a while to fully recover.

Geeze that sounds brutal.

I know we disagree often in hockey debates, but that's just sports fandom shit. Real life concerns are far more important.

I sincerely hope you're okay and you regain your full lung health. That's actually quite frightening to hear, when you're hearing young in shape people having it still impact their lives long after they're "symptomatic" with Covid-19 it really puts things in perspective for how deadly this virus is.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ya they call them long-haulers. People that have a clean COVID test but took such a beating while the had it, they have various issues for months after. Can be lung issues to neuro issues and most end up needing some for of physio or occupational therapy.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Geeze that sounds brutal.

I know we disagree often in hockey debates, but that's just sports fandom shit. Real life concerns are far more important.

I sincerely hope you're okay and you regain your full lung health. That's actually quite frightening to hear, when you're hearing young in shape people having it still impact their lives long after they're "symptomatic" with Covid-19 it really puts things in perspective for how deadly this virus is.

Yeah, was just trying to share a personal experience that can relate to Risto and other athletes. The virus itself leaves your system in about 14 days but the damage it causes can take longer to heal. It can also make your blood vessels a lot weaker/thinner. People often forget these NHLers are just human beings. Just like all of us it can have really dangerous effects even long after the virus is gone. It shouldn't be taken lightly, and us as fans and then media people should be aware before critiquing a player for his/her effort if He/She had to deal with it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, was just trying to share a personal experience that can relate to Risto and other athletes. The virus itself leaves your system in about 14 days but the damage it causes can take longer to heal. It can also make your blood vessels a lot weaker/thinner. People often forget these NHLers are just human beings. Just like all of us it can have really dangerous effects even long after the virus is gone. It shouldn't be taken lightly, and us as fans and then media people should be aware before critiquing a player for his/her effort if He/She had to deal with it.

Exactly, that has to be tough to deal with when you're an elite high level athlete. Hearing these stories really puts everything into perspective.

It doesn't seem to affect everyone the same, but Risto's case and what you describe sounds awful. Hope you regain your health back to full soon bro.

Now back to hating each other lol :)

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Some younger more fit people getting more severe symptoms than some older less fit people isn't unique to this virus.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Didn't most of the St. Louis Blues roster test positive before last years playoffs as well ? They looked notably slower as a group.

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My whole immediate family of 6 got it and it affected my mom the worst. Really made her arthritis much worse. No amount of creams or pain killers were subsiding that pain. She eventually made it through, but it was a rough couple days there.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Yeah I think it can honestly turn a legitimate NHLer into an ECHLer. Take a 10% hit to your performance at the highest level and suddenly you're not one of the top ~750 players in the world anymore.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Terrible to hear, friggin love Risto and it sucks he’s going through that. Hope he makes it back alright, that’s some scary shit.

Also- Eichel as potential offseason covid case? Or he’s just not skating hard, but somethin seems off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad