Rasmus Ristolainen battle with Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They're significantly better but not close to 100%. I'd routinely hit 45 mins on the stairmaster every 2nd morning at a slow pace. Or jump rope for 30ish mins, HIIT sprints for 15-20 mins. Just 1 week after beating the virus my cardio was gone to shits. I couldn't do the stairmaster for more than 10 minutes, HIIT sprints were 5 mins long maximum, getting out of breath during heavy weight sets. It's getting back to where it was but it takes a while to fully recover.

I caught it a month ago. I used to workout 6 days a week, practice BJJ 3-5 times a week. Right now my cardio is non existent and I get out of breath carrying a vacuum up the stairs. X-rays and blood work are all normal but I’m waiting for a lung function test now.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I caught it a month ago. I used to workout 6 days a week, practice BJJ 3-5 times a week. Right now my cardio is non existent and I get out of breath carrying a vacuum up the stairs. X-rays and blood work are all normal but I’m waiting for a lung function test now.

Yeah I had the same issues, even just walking around moving boxes, carrying groceries I would have to stop to catch my breath.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

Dang, praying for ya bud. You're one of the few Oilers posters whose opinion I truly respect.

Here, virtual hug.
source.gif

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Been saying it for a while. Players should not be playing outside of a bubble environment. Only a matter of time before someone's career is over due to the lung scarring and heart problems.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Your lungs still haven't recovered from almost a year ago? That is crazy...and some people have the nerve to still call this the flu. Can't wait to get my vaccine.

I mean, the same thing happened to me with bronchitis. It's not a unique phenomenon.

The flu also killed my grandpa. I'm pretty annoyed at people who treat the flu like a joke.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Myles Garrett who is one of the biggest freaks in the NFL got it, and was playing like a DPOY front-runner, and wasn't the same afterward. Flashes would appear, but he didn't regain that consistency snap to snap he had pre-covid. And, you are talking about one of the most special athletes in a league filled with insane athletes.
That's the scary part for me; if elite athletes are struggling, most of us would be much worse off. It's not the flu or common cold. We dont even know the real long-term effects, we're barely a year into this.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
They eased him back with a nice 8:22 TOI in the first..

lmao

I think everyone was surprised by reading about Risto not being sure he was going to wake up after going to bed because of severe post-covid symptoms, then randomly dressing for the game and playing a team high 8:22 in the first

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I caught it back in November. Had a period where I couldn't sleep for 62 hours because my cough was so severe.

Obviously, my cardio took a big hit but I am back to normal regarding that. I guess I am a bit luckier than some. I'm also 53 years old.

I'll be damned if I'm taking that vaccine. I've heard horror stories about the second shot being administered.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
That's the scary part for me; if elite athletes are struggling, most of us would be much worse off. It's not the flu or common cold. We dont even know the real long-term effects, we're barely a year into this.
A chill dude like me hasn't caught it. I think physical and mental stress cause problems for people and become sick easier.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I caught it back in November. Had a period where I couldn't sleep for 62 hours because my cough was so severe.

Obviously, my cardio took a big hit but I am back to normal regarding that. I guess I am a bit luckier than some. I'm also 53 years old.

I'll be damned if I'm taking that vaccine. I've heard horror stories about the second shot being administered.

What horror stories? I got my first one in December and 2nd one in mid-January. Absolutely no side effects.

(I know, the irony that my favorite player is an anti-vaxxer)

Reactions: Human and cudi

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
What horror stories? I got my first one in December and 2nd one in mid-January. Absolutely no side effects.

(I know, the irony that my favorite player is an anti-vaxxer)

The internet is an easy place to do research. Heck, a young court clerk that I know well had a severe headache for a few days and couldn't work.

Then there is this doozy that both shots can have reactions if you've previously had Covid.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/91157

No thanks. I won't be taking that vaccine for at least a couple years. And in no way am I an anti-vaccine person.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015

If you had it in November you're immune to at least next August, probably longer. No need to take any vaccine until then, or wear a mask.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
A coworker of mine who is a full time mountain guide caught it last March and is still bedridden for the most part, save for 1 walk a week with his 3 yr old. This guy’s fitness level is through the roof, ultramarathoner, etc. He said it’s mainly migraines, exhaustion, photosensitivity, and a severe lack of appetite/motivation. Shit is scary. I’m shaped like a pear so it’d probably just end me.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
He is also directly blaming the NHL for "a needles contraction, since they made us play against Buffalo" despite BUF witholding corona information on their roster and having many cases.

Buffalo didn’t withhold anything other than what the league mandated (as in the team can’t announce Player X contracted Covid, but Player X is free to announce it). Everyone knew who may or may not have contracted it. That’s why some players were back earlier than others.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
The internet is an easy place to do research. Heck, a young court clerk that I know well had a severe headache for a few days and couldn't work.

Then there is this doozy that both shots can have reactions if you've previously had Covid.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/91157

No thanks. I won't be taking that vaccine for at least a couple years. And in no way am I an anti-vaccine person.
Welcome to side effects. They occur occasionally for most vaccines... That doesn’t mean it’s the norm...

Reactions: Anantika

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, IIIRC there's a prospect or minor leaguer who hasn't recovered for like a year no? Could be misremembering or thinking of another sport.

Anyways, anyone else flashing back to all of the lovely people of HF saying we don't have to worry about the athletes getting seriously effected by COVID back when we were debating whether or not to finish last season?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Your lungs still haven't recovered from almost a year ago? That is crazy...and some people have the nerve to still call this the flu. Can't wait to get my vaccine.
Not trying to downplay Covid-19 in any way, but its mainstream science in the medical world that viruses have long-term effects in varying degrees on a (minor) percentage of the people infected.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I mean, the same thing happened to me with bronchitis. It's not a unique phenomenon.

The flu also killed my grandpa. I'm pretty annoyed at people who treat the flu like a joke.

The problem is too many refer to bad colds as "the flu". The actual flu will kick your ass six ways from Sunday. I also hate the "just the flu" nonsense.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Him and Eduardo Rodriguez of the Red Sox should be a fair warning to never assume that athletes can't become seriously compromised by the virus. I've always hated it when certain groups of people say that because these are professional athletes that there's nothing to worry about.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
I would almost guarantee even as of yesterday’s game he’s still feeling it, especially since his were severe symptoms. My boss got it who is a total excercise health freak about 2 months ago and missed a month of work with crazy lingering symptoms and even brain inflammation for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->