Rasmus Dahlin Vs Adam Fox going forward?

Which defenceman do you take going forward?

• Total voters

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
HFBoards .. where somehow both Dahlin and Seider are generational, multiple Norris winning capable defenseman each in a class of their own (in addition to Makar of course-who offensively might actually have a case). Generations must be getting shorter.

Except mostly only Wings fans think that with regards to Seider. Unless you think Sabres fans are the reason Dahlin is rightfully winning the poll.

There are a lot more non-Sabres fans who think Dahlin is capable of multiple (2+) Norris winning seasons or is in a class of his own. Might be a reason for that.

Not sure why Makar might have a case offensively but not Dahlin.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Except mostly only Wings fans think that with regards to Seider. Unless you think Sabres fans are the reason Dahlin is rightfully winning the poll.

There are a lot more non-Sabres fans who think Dahlin is capable of multiple (2+) Norris winning seasons or is in a class of his own. Might be a reason for that.

Not sure why Makar might have a case offensively but not Dahlin.

Because Makar is better than Dahlin?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Dahlin won't be worse offensively though, so it just seems wierd to call out pro Dahlin posters but then go and say Makar might have a case.
Makar is a PPG+ player in his 2nd NHL season. Already shown he can be PPG in the playoffs as well. Dahlin is not even close to that level atm.

Its hard to name many things Dahlin does better than Makar, but its very easy to do the opposite.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
His general talent and ability combined with what we have seen from him for the last 4+ seasons? I'd be surprised he if isn't at least as good offensively.

Krueger really kept him under the radar but I'm still surprised this many people are sleeping on Dahlin.
Makar is a point per game defenseman. Not many defenseman are capable of that, so I'd say it's pretty unrealistic to expect Dahlin to for sure reach that level.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
His general talent and ability combined with what we have seen from him for the last 4+ seasons? I'd be surprised he if isn't at least as good offensively.

Krueger really kept him under the radar but I'm still surprised this many people are sleeping on Dahlin.

This is what’s called the best point pace by a defenceman to start a career in the salary cap era.

Maybe Dahlin can be better offensively, but he better pack a lunch.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

This is what’s called the best point pace to start a career in the salary cap era.

But Dahlin's scouting report said he could win multiple Norris trophies. Did Makar's? Plus Makar is only 5'11. Can't be better than Dahlin and Seider.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Makar is a point per game defenseman. Not many defenseman are capable of that, so I'd say it's pretty unrealistic to expect Dahlin to for sure reach that level.

Are you actually kidding me? Dahlin is extremely far removed from your usual defenseman and even most of the higher end ones, so saying it is unrealistic to expect him to reach that level - even though it is pretty much his floor, and ignoring that he is pretty close to that now under a normal coach and having just turned 21 a couple of weeks ago, on one of the youngest teams, no Eichel - because most defensemen don't, doesn't really hold up. If you focus on Dahlin the player and not what most defensemen do, it is not unrealistic at all and actually expected. Because Dahlin is not most defensemen. Not even close.

Makar is a PPG+ player in his 2nd NHL season. Already shown he can be PPG in the playoffs as well. Dahlin is not even close to that level atm.

Its hard to name many things Dahlin does better than Makar, but its very easy to do the opposite.

He's not that far off. That 2nd part probably won't be true next season either.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Are you actually kidding me? Dahlin is extremely far removed from your usual defenseman and even most of the higher end ones, so saying it is unrealistic to expect him to reach that level - even though it is pretty much his floor, and ignoring that he is pretty close to that now under a normal coach and having just turned 21 a couple of weeks ago, on one of the youngest teams, no Eichel - because most defensemen don't, doesn't really hold up. If you focus on Dahlin the player and not what most defensemen do, it is not unrealistic at all and actually expected. Because Dahlin is not most defensemen. Not even close.

I'm not kidding you. And pretending that Dahlin's floor is that of a PPG defenseman is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

This is what’s called the best point pace by a defenceman to start a career in the salary cap era.

You aren't actually going to completely ignore how he took 2 years to join the league are you? Or the situation either have been in coach/team wise? Very weak argument here.

But Dahlin's scouting report said he could win multiple Norris trophies. Did Makar's? Plus Makar is only 5'11. Can't be better than Dahlin and Seider.

No one cares about what the scouting reports said, only why they said it. If you pay attention and watch the player, the why becomes clear.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I'm not kidding you. And pretending that Dahlin's floor is that of a PPG defenseman is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

How is it ridiculous? He is literally a touch under having only just turned 21 with no Eichel and one of the younger teams in the league. I ask again, how exactly is it ridiculous? Did people really just forget about Dahlin?

This site will be fun in the very near future.

Reactions: MrOT

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
How is it ridiculous? He is literally a touch under having only just turned 21 with no Eichel and one of the younger teams in the league. I ask again, how exactly is it ridiculous? Did people really just forget about Dahlin?

It's ridiculous because you are talking about his ceiling like it's his floor.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
It's ridiculous because you are talking about his ceiling like it's his floor.
You are the one talking about his floor like it's his ceiling. Your first post I quoted proved that already.

I love all the comments like “muahahaha just wait a few years” like being arguably the best defenseman in the NHL right now is nothing. :laugh:

Dahlin’s tools and legitimate potential to be even better isn't nothing either.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
As a leaf fan this poll is stupid. Why would anyone pick sandin. Stupid poll -mods should ban this dude for like a few weeks for making this. Fox for sure until sandin shows he can do something similar, IF he can. And sandin is awesome.

Next poll by op: crosby vs rust.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've been a massive Dahlin supporters since he was drafted and I still think he has huge potential.

That being said, what's his upside, realistically? Norris-level?

Fox is there.

The other side of the equation would be that Dahlin’s upside is the best defenseman in the league yearly, the position Hedman has found himself in yearly.

Fox is already at a Norris level, but the Norris winner isn’t always the best hockey player among defenseman, it’s the defenseman who had the best season. That player usually ends up being one of the best defenseman in the league, of which Fox is, but there’s a higher level than Norris winner.

Fox is better now. We see the impact he has on a nightly basis. He’s been the best defenseman in the league this season. I still would take Dahlin over any defenseman in the league going forward.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You need more than just a little over half a season to say someone is elite or awful. Obviously Fox is better right now but Dahlin is younger, plays in a tirefire, and has outplayed Fox the two years prior to this.

While I agree that Dahlin has been good recently, and it always takes people a long time to catch on, Fox was really good last season. Better than Dahlin. Fox wasn’t in the league before then so we can’t go any further back than last season to compare their seasons in the same league.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Are you seriously suggesting that an 11 points in 13 game streak suddenly means his floor is PPG? This thread is already fun with these kinds of takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad