Rasmus Dahlin Vs Adam Fox going forward?

Which defenceman do you take going forward?

• Total voters

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I guess the choice to take Dahlin is a gamble on him being a perennial Norris contender, but what relevance does his play at 16/17 have to this debate?

Personally I’d go with Fox to avoid the risk. Dahlin should get a good amount better next season though.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fox is there for 40 games during a shortened and nothing-like-normal season.
Fox was elite last year too but nobody wanted to listen because Trouba played more minutes.

People are really led through the nose by TOI.
How on earth is Dahlin winning ? Fox is proving to be an elite #1D, Dahlin has been awful so far.
To be fair, Dahlin was excellent before this year.

He very quietly (I guess because the Sabres stink) had 40 in 59 last year.

Reactions: AB13

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If Dahlin hits his potential, he'll almost be as good as Fox is right now.

I don't doubt he can match and even exceed Fox's offensive output, but he'll never be able to control the game defensively like Fox.

Reactions: aufheben

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I've been a massive Dahlin supporters since he was drafted and I still think he has huge potential.

That being said, what's his upside, realistically? Norris-level?

Fox is there.

I think Dahlin's upside is perennial Norris level. And possibly a very high peak. So something like a Karlsson, or above (minus the super sharp decline at a still young age).

I'll be honest I haven't seen a lot of Fox play - but even if we agree that he's a Norris caliber player this season, is this a one-off? Is this the new norm for him? How much can he exceed his play currently?

If Fox were to repeat his performance next year for a 2nd year in a row, and in a more normal/longer season, I think I would have voted him over Dahlin. But for now, Dahlin still seems like a pretty can't miss player.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Don't get the "awful season" narrative for Dahlin. People seem to be stat watching. Watch some Sabre's games. It still looks like he's got generational upside. His puck skills and control is just absurd. Probably competing for best PP QB in the league already on a better team.

Reactions: AB13 and GOALOFSSON

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Dahlin's upside is perennial Norris level. And possibly a very high peak. So something like a Karlsson, or above (minus the super sharp decline at a still young age).

I'll be honest I haven't seen a lot of Fox play - but even if we agree that he's a Norris caliber player this season, is this a one-off? Is this the new norm for him? How much can he exceed his play currently?

If Fox were to repeat his performance next year for a 2nd year in a row, and in a more normal/longer season, I think I would have voted him over Dahlin. But for now, Dahlin still seems like a pretty can't miss player.
You really should watch Fox play for a few games and you'll understand why this isn't a one-off. He's very cool and calm under pressure, makes ridiculous moves and has great offensive tools on top of that.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Fox

Dahlin has not shown anything resembling a Norris candidate so far in his career, not gambling on draft hype.

Reactions: The S5

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Don't get the "awful season" narrative for Dahlin. People seem to be stat watching. Watch some Sabre's games. It still looks like he's got generational upside. His puck skills and control is just absurd. Probably competing for best PP QB in the league already on a better team.

Did you just start watching him? Dahlin has been awful this year, and that's not stat watching by no means. He just recentely turned somewhat of a corner.

Reactions: The S5

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think very highly of Fox, he is carrying my fantasy team. But I went Dahlin I think he will be better for his career.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Letang was a 50 point player at 23.

Fox is there for 40 games during a shortened and nothing-like-normal season.
Nah Fox was amazing last season too.

2019-20 – 18:54 TOI/GP | 1.91 P/60 | PP2
2020-21 – 24:33 TOI/GP | 2.24 P/60 | PP1

He’s as good if not better defensively. If anyone is just stat-surfing Fox, you are genuinely missing out on one of the most intelligent players in the NHL.

Couldn’t care less how he compares to Dahlin. Maybe Dahlin becomes the best player in the league, or makes the HHOF. Good for him. Sabres fans deserve it.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Or people forget that Dahlin isn’t remotely close to Fox defensively. Could he be? One day but currently it’s not close.
You can’t forget what you don’t know. Checkmate.

You’re right though, about the point totals. They’re obviously more than just a bonus, cherries on top, but there is so much more to the player than that. He is used by-the-book as a #1 defenseman (and I don’t mind pointing out that while he is 23 years old, his birthday was in February, lol).

I won’t argue with anyone who prefers Dahlin here though. I hope he turns into a monster for the Sabres. Why wouldn’t you want a young, special talent to exceed? But anyone that has Fox pegged as another smallish offensive-/PMD, you are just thinking about someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: BStinson

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You can’t forget what you don’t know. Checkmate.

You’re right though, about the point totals. They’re obviously more than just a bonus, cherries on top, but there is so much more to the player than that. He is used by-the-book as a #1 defenseman (and I don’t mind pointing out that while he is 23 years old, his birthday was in February, lol).

I won’t argue with anyone who prefers Dahlin here though. I hope he turns into a monster for the Sabres. Why wouldn’t you want a young, special talent to exceed? But anyone that has Fox pegged as another smallish offensive-/PMD, you are just thinking about someone else.
Anyone arguing the two players are even comparable defensively is using some real Ke2 logic if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The safer and correct answer is Fox but HF Boards loves the mystery box.

well.... no... it's a matter of opinion right now because a lot of fans still see plenty of potential in Dhalin, and the ceiling of Fox is probably not as high. Fans also see the situation in Buffalo and believe that Dhalin would actually not be in struggling this bad if he was on "their team".

give you an example.

my team. Vancouver Canucks.

So Lawrence, this stupid poll is adam fox vs Dhalin. IN my mind it's another cherry picked thread of 1 fan base trying to upsell one player to a tier he really doesn't belong too. Adam Fox is having very good season. Dhalin not. So a poll is made. for me I just look at.

Will the addition of Adam Fox be better fit for Vancouver?
vs
Will the addition of Dhalin be better fit for Vancouver?

Cause at this point I have to ignore the teams each player playing on. Gather info on how good that individual is, the age, and potential of the certain individual.

Adam Fox is having a very good year, and rightfully so he's been good prospect ever since he was in Calgary's system.
Dhalin was drafted number 1 overall and also has tremendous potential. He had good numbers for an 18 year old, and he upped his numbers as a 19 year old. He continues to play on a weak team.

anyways given everything I would choose Dhalin and it has nothing to do with a "mystery" box. If fans choose Fox, good for them. He's also a great choice.

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Still easily Dahlin. 2 years younger, stuck in a horrible situation. If their team situations were reversed I think this poll would be 100% Dahlin and closed within minutes.

Have to wonder what that horrible situation did to his development. I would have to either see him elsewhere or Buffalo finally gets things together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad