Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 3- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
You make it sound like he has arrived which he has not. 20+ defensemen ahead of him in points last He is a stud considering age but has a long way ahead of him and the journey to become a superstar d is a uncertain one and player development is not linear. I think its a good thing fans of other teams are holding him under a microscope.

About the goal - it was nice.
1 game. 1 goal. +2.

I think it’s too early to say he hasn’t arrived. And too early to say he has arrived as well.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
You make it sound like he has arrived which he has not. 20+ defensemen ahead of him in points last He is a stud considering age but has a long way ahead of him and the journey to become a superstar d is a uncertain one and player development is not linear. I think its a good thing fans of other teams are holding him under a microscope.

About the goal - it was nice.
Rasmus Dahlin arrived June 22nd, 2018.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Is Dahlin the quietest superstar in the league?
It's almost like everybody outside of Buffalo just kinda resigned to the fact that he's very good... and then forgot about him.
We're talking about a generational Dman who has best-in-the-world type upside, but has less fanfare than a lot of his peers.

Is it because he's kind of quiet, or dare I say 'boring' off the ice?
I mean, damn - the kid is elite. Look at the goal he scored last night!
When a Swede achieves stardom you don't have to separate the fact from the hype, because there is no hype.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
1 game. 1 goal. +2.

I think it’s too early to say he hasn’t arrived. And too early to say he has arrived as well.

Schrodinger's Dahlin.

I think the rest of the league is waiting to see just how good he'll be. He scores goals like that first one and he'll have people's attention in no time. He could sophomore slump and show some flaws, he could put up 60-80 points, we just dunno yet.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Schrodinger's Dahlin.

I think the rest of the league is waiting to see just how good he'll be. He scores goals like that first one and he'll have people's attention in no time. He could sophomore slump and show some flaws, he could put up 60-80 points, we just dunno yet.
I watched the kid closely this game and even last year. The first game this year he won puck battles, the puck seemed to always find his stick and he never lost his man in the defensive zone. His first game was definitely cleaner than last year and I think he will clean up the gaffes he would make last year.(Small sample size of course)

I think we will see as Dahlin matures is he won't ever get beat one on one, not only he doesn't get beat but he also gains back possession of the puck. Something I think that is very underrated.

He closes the gap on the offensive player very smoothly and when he checks the player with the puck he doesn't just swat the puck away he gains back possession. Something he hasn't gotten credit for yet.

So far what has impressed me most is how he can close the gap with ease, smoothly and recovers the puck from the opposing player. He is very controlled, he will get back possession and starts the transition quickly with long hard accurate passes. Considering he was 18 last year he must have ice in his veins he is so calm and collected. He turns an opposing teams offensive zone entry into gaining back the puck and turning to the transition and break out pass in seconds.

If you watch the opposing player enter the zone he always pushes the player to the outside along the boards. His skating is so good he doesn't get beat. Last year he would even rub a few guys out. To think what he will be like in another 2-3 years is just crazy.

The other thing that has really impressed me is his passing accuracy. I am just guessing but I bet his passes has like a 90% success rate which is the opposite of Risto who panics and throws the puck blindly down the ice. On top of that he doesn't just make the easy pass he will make subtle moves to open up lanes and make long passes with deadly accuracy.

Watch someone like Risto defend, he hacks away and cross checks and pushes the player. Watch Dahlin defend he stays between the net and the opposing player he will ride the player to the boards and scoop the puck away from the opposing player gain control and turn the other way and already starts the transition.

One last point about Dahlin, when you watch him watch him closely, his body language, his subtle moves, his hesitations, his deceptiveness. Every time he has the puck he is looking to do something with it. He is extremely deceptive and he tries to make something happen on every play. His breakout passes gives his teammates a better opportunity going the other way than any other defenceman on the team. I am actually surprised his offensive numbers weren't higher last year but he definitely has some bad bounces last year that cost him some goals.

This kid is a superstar in the making.
(Sorry if my English is bad its 2am :( )

Last edited by a moderator:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
When the team around him starts winning, especially due to his efforts, the bandwagon will likely gear up and rumble down every Main St. in North America with a hockey team.
Pretty much. Nobody is going out of their way to watch the Sabres right now (maybe a couple games during the win streak last year but that's about it). And with defensemen like this you really do need to just watch a couple of games to see how they do everything. When we make the playoffs and Dahlin is clowning people left and right, everyone will take notice. Basically the only reason the Dahlin vs Heiskanen conversation even exists is because everyone watched Miro in the playoffs last year.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Pretty much. Nobody is going out of their way to watch the Sabres right now (maybe a couple games during the win streak last year but that's about it). And with defensemen like this you really do need to just watch a couple of games to see how they do everything. When we make the playoffs and Dahlin is clowning people left and right, everyone will take notice. Basically the only reason the Dahlin vs Heiskanen conversation even exists is because everyone watched Miro in the playoffs last year.

The Heiskanen vs Dahlin convo was in full swing months before the playoffs even started. The majority of HF was preferring Heiskanen :facepalm:

Dahlin 3 points in 5 periods so far. He is going to push 60 points this year. PPG by year 3-4. It is scary that Dahlin is only going to be 21 when he starts his next contract.

Dahlin needs to get an 8 year deal right away. 8 years x 12.5 mil per the way he is progressing. And would be worth every penny. And after Dahlins max term 2nd contract ends,he is only going to be 29 years old when his 3rd contract would start. I pray Dahlin is a Sabre for life. Give him two 8 year extensions, and after those 2 max term deals he would be 37 and likely still would have 3-5 years left of high end hockey. When it comes to superstars there is no such thing as getting too far ahead of yourself. I want Jack and Rasmus to be here for 20 years together. When was the last time we had 2 true superstars on the team at the same time? Hasek and LaFontaine? LaFontaine only played 211 games as a Sabre whilst Hasek was also on the team. Mogilny and LaFontaine had limited time together also. Briere and Drury were never superstars. Jack+Rasmus can be a legendary duo for this franchise.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
The Heiskanen vs Dahlin convo was in full swing months before the playoffs even started. The majority of HF was preferring Heiskanen :facepalm:

Dahlin 3 points in 5 periods so far. He is going to push 60 points this year. PPG by year 3-4. It is scary that Dahlin is only going to be 21 when he starts his next contract.

Dahlin needs to get an 8 year deal right away. 8 years x 12.5 mil per the way he is progressing. And would be worth every penny. And after Dahlins max term 2nd contract ends,he is only going to be 29 years old when his 3rd contract would start. I pray Dahlin is a Sabre for life. Give him two 8 year extensions, and after those 2 max term deals he would be 37 and likely still would have 3-5 years left of high end hockey. When it comes to superstars there is no such thing as getting too far ahead of yourself. I want Jack and Rasmus to be here for 20 years together. When was the last time we had 2 true superstars on the team at the same time? Hasek and LaFontaine? LaFontaine only played 211 games as a Sabre whilst Hasek was also on the team. Mogilny and LaFontaine had limited time together also. Briere and Drury were never superstars. Jack+Rasmus can be a legendary duo for this franchise.

I'm hoping since we got Eichel locked up at 10m, maybe Dahlin takes a little less than he is worth for the team.

If not, well, it's Dahlin. Pay the man what he wants.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
4 pts in 2 games, leads the team. Usually the excuse of poor forwards is the reason for that put you’ve got your full 1st line with 3 points each.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Shutting down the 3-on-1 was Mike Ramsey stuff.

Anyone who doesn't remember, when there was odd-man breaks against the Sabres and Ramsey was back there you didn't even look up from the crossword puzzle. There was no threat.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
I watched the kid closely this game and even last year. The first game this year he won puck battles, the puck seemed to always find his stick and he never lost his man in the defensive zone. His first game was definitely cleaner than last year and I think he will clean up the gaffes he would make last year.(Small sample size of course)

I think we will see as Dahlin matures is he won't ever get beat one on one, not only he doesn't get beat but he also gains back possession of the puck. Something I think that is very underrated.

He closes the gap on the offensive player very smoothly and when he checks the player with the puck he doesn't just swat the puck away he gains back possession. Something he hasn't gotten credit for yet.

So far what has impressed me most is how he can close the gap with ease, smoothly and recovers the puck from the opposing player. He is very controlled, he will get back possession and starts the transition quickly with long hard accurate passes. Considering he was 18 last year he must have ice in his veins he is so calm and collected. He turns an opposing teams offensive zone entry into gaining back the puck and turning to the transition and break out pass in seconds.

If you watch the opposing player enter the zone he always pushes the player to the outside along the boards. His skating is so good he doesn't get beat. Last year he would even rub a few guys out. To think what he will be like in another 2-3 years is just crazy.

The other thing that has really impressed me is his passing accuracy. I am just guessing but I bet his passes has like a 90% success rate which is the opposite of Risto who panics and throws the puck blindly down the ice. On top of that he doesn't just make the easy pass he will make subtle moves to open up lanes and make long passes with deadly accuracy.

Watch someone like Risto defend, he hacks away and cross checks and pushes the player. Watch Dahlin defend he stays between the net and the opposing player he will ride the player to the boards and scoop the puck away from the opposing player gain control and turn the other way and already starts the transition.

One last point about Dahlin, when you watch him watch him closely, his body language, his subtle moves, his hesitations, his deceptiveness. Every time he has the puck he is looking to do something with it. He is extremely deceptive and he tries to make something happen on every play. His breakout passes gives his teammates a better opportunity going the other way than any other defenceman on the team. I am actually surprised his offensive numbers weren't higher last year but he definitely has some bad bounces last year that cost him some goals.

This kid is a superstar in the making.
(Sorry if my English is bad its 2am :( )

Good English and good observations!

I think he went through some growing pains with mistakes last year, but what you see is what made him #1 overall. He learned what works and what doesn't and just seems to know what makes for the best hockey possible. Good point about gaining possession and not panicking- I feel like doing that against the best in the world is what led to some of those mistakes a season ago, but instead of getting discouraged he just learns from everything and does better the next time. Now he's making those moves at the right times, using his skating and stickhandling intelligently, and he's starting to look like the dominant dude I thought it'd take him 3-4 years to be. It's just fun watching a guy with that much smarts and confidence, times where I'm thinking "get rid of it!" he's making subtle moves to get a better outlet pass.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That Okposo goal was all Dahlin, what really bothers me around the NHL is how he is not given credit for the little moves he makes its so so so underrated. He sidestepped the defender to open up the lane and get the puck to the net.

Can someone tell me why people do not hype this? Its incredible to me how he does it.
It's the subtle things that the average hockey fans dont notice. I loved that move as well.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Has anyone noticed that Dahlin is bow legged? Most of the great skaters in the history of the NHL are; Bobby Orr, Pavel Bure, Gilbert Perreault, Paul Coffey, Sidney Crosby ...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm hoping since we got Eichel locked up at 10m, maybe Dahlin takes a little less than he is worth for the team.

If not, well, it's Dahlin. Pay the man what he wants.

That very thought crossed my mind as well but when you factor in that Dahlins 2nd contract will kick in an entire four years after Jacks did that it simply is not feasible. Luckily we can thank Botts for getting us a discount on Jack. Look at the Leafs with Marner and Matthews. We got Jack cheaper then both those guys and we are the ones who got 8 years while Marner and Matthews got a couple years less.

Jack may be the lynchpin of the offense and the catalyst for success but it is inevitable sooner then later we are going to have a player have a higher AAV then Jack, be it Dahlin or an elite UFA in 2020. Hell, Skinner who while damn good and a high end goal scorer in his own right is nearly making as much and we all know Eichel is on a whole other level then Skinner.

I am totally fine with paying Dahlin whatever he wants. You do not play games with a generational talent. You pay him what he wants period and do not think twice.

It is 2 games in and Dahlin is already 10% done on his 2nd straight 40+ point campaign. Like I said I believe 55-60 points is a very likely number. Doughty went from 27 to 59 in his D+2. And Dahlins rookie season was far superior to Doughtys in every facet, especially offensive production wise.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
That very thought crossed my mind as well but when you factor in that Dahlins 2nd contract will kick in an entire four years after Jacks did that it simply is not feasible. Luckily we can thank Botts for getting us a discount on Jack. Look at the Leafs with Marner and Matthews. We got Jack cheaper then both those guys and we are the ones who got 8 years while Marner and Matthews got a couple years less.

Jack may be the lynchpin of the offense and the catalyst for success but it is inevitable sooner then later we are going to have a player have a higher AAV then Jack, be it Dahlin or an elite UFA in 2020. Hell, Skinner who while damn good and a high end goal scorer in his own right is nearly making as much and we all know Eichel is on a whole other level then Skinner.

I am totally fine with paying Dahlin whatever he wants. You do not play games with a generational talent. You pay him what he wants period and do not think twice.

It is 2 games in and Dahlin is already 10% done on his 2nd straight 40+ point campaign. Like I said I believe 55-60 points is a very likely number. Doughty went from 27 to 59 in his D+2. And Dahlins rookie season was far superior to Doughtys in every facet, especially offensive production wise.

I have Olofsson and Dahlin getting around 60-70 pts right now. Olofsson is in the literal perfect situation and Dahlin is Dahlin.

I agree pay Dahlin whatever, but what is Olofsson's deal gonna look like?

Don't know if we can afford another expensive FA between Olo, Reinhart, Dahlin, Mitts, Cozens, even UPL eventually. Already Skins and ECHL.
Would have to be short term unless we trade them or someone else, maybe we get Mitts/Cozens on good bridge deals.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Shutting down the 3-on-1 was Mike Ramsey stuff.

Anyone who doesn't remember, when there was odd-man breaks against the Sabres and Ramsey was back there you didn't even look up from the crossword puzzle. There was no threat.

It was the same sense of security with Hasek in net. Whether it be a 5 on 3, OT, SO.... never had any apprehension with Hasek, much less stalwarts like Ramsey.

Dahlin will command no dread as a veteran - he's not going to be flawless, but like you mentioned, I can't be bothered with anxiety knowing he's on the ice.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
I have Olofsson and Dahlin getting around 60-70 pts right now. Olofsson is in the literal perfect situation and Dahlin is Dahlin.

I agree pay Dahlin whatever, but what is Olofsson's deal gonna look like?

Don't know if we can afford another expensive FA between Olo, Reinhart, Dahlin, Mitts, Cozens, even UPL eventually. Already Skins and ECHL.
Would have to be short term unless we trade them or someone else, maybe we get Mitts/Cozens on good bridge deals.

lol Sabres fans- "we suck! Wait, we're good! AHH we won't have any money! They're too good!"

It's a real concern, but I'll wait until the offseason to worry about it. Make that money Rhino, just steal it outta Subban's back pocket like you did on goal 7.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I can not understand at Rasmus four points or three? Because on different sites it is written differently.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
I can not understand at Rasmus four points or three? Because on different sites it is written differently.

I think they're giving him an assist on Olofsson's second goal now? Pass to Eichel, Eichel to Olofsson, Olofsson passed to Reino but it goes back to Olo who shoots and scores? So Devils never got possession and Reino never touched it. Could still be updated if they think Rhino touched the puck, but right now I think 4 is the correct answer. That's what they updated it to, giving Jack and Dahlin some deserved apples.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think they're giving him an assist on Olofsson's second goal now? Pass to Eichel, Eichel to Olofsson, Olofsson passed to Reino but it goes back to Olo who shoots and scores? So Devils never got possession and Reino never touched it. Could still be updated if they think Rhino touched the puck, but right now I think 4 is the correct answer. That's what they updated it to, giving Jack and Dahlin some deserved apples.

I think VO's pass to Reino deflected off Severson and right back to VO. So no touch by #23 but not enough of a touch by the Devil's player to credit him with possession.

E: Actually, looking at the play again, I think that is Sam's stick that touches the puck. We'll see if the NHL agrees with me and gives the apples to Sam and Jack.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think VO's pass to Reino deflected off Severson and right back to VO. So no touch by #23 but not enough of a touch by the Devil's player to credit him with possession.

E: Actually, looking at the play again, I think that is Sam's stick that touches the puck. We'll see if the NHL agrees with me and gives the apples to Sam and Jack.

So either way someone is having 4 points. It’s just a matter if it’s Sam or Dahlin

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The kid really is like Datsyuk (my favorite player ever) on defense. I remember a play in the preseason against the Pens when he was battle for a puck along the boards in the d zone. The pens player seemed to have position on him to take the puck; butt facing Dahlin and the puck in front of him. Dahlin, with ease and one hand on his stick, just scoops the puck away from the Pens player. Dahlin then sends the puck up the ice with a crisp tape to tape pass. The Pens player just shook his head in annoyance. Dahlin made him look stupid.

The funniest thing is when this 19 year old kid schools NHLers who have been in the league for years. f***, if you're a coach, you tell your kids to avoid some of the things Dahlin does with the puck, because his hand are smooth as silk. Most d man you try to make them simplify their game while Dahlin you say "just go out their a do your thing, young blood.'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad