Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
It's going to take Dahlin some time before he turns into that franchisee defenseman. He is only 18 and defenseman take alot longer to develop then forwards do but I expect by midseason he will be living up too his #1 overall status

Which is why it's amazing that there's a really strong argument to be made for him being the best defenseman on the team already. Imagine how good he's gonna be when he's 22.

Elite defensemen like Karlsson/Doughty/Hedman/etc. completely control the play when they're on the ice. Now imagine what it's going to be like when him and Jack are out there together.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
But if he had 7 points and was +7, he would be able to play a lot more relaxed and calm.

No one wants to join the NHL as a presumed future superstar, to end the season with 15 points while being -33.

An exaggeration, to show my point. :)

I don't know why anyone would expect more points, he's obviously making a conscious effort to play a safe game while also not being deployed as the main offensive d-man yet, which is the right decision by Housley.

Dahlin's on pace for 27 points which is in the same ball park as these rookies: Keith 21, Weber 29 (pace), Doughty 27, Hedman 20, Jones 25. All are today known as solid and very well-rounded d-men, probably because they started by working on their defense before taking more initiatives offensively.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't know why anyone would expect more points, he's obviously making a conscious effort to play a safe game while also not being deployed as the main offensive d-man yet, which is the right decision by Housley.

Dahlin's on pace for 27 points which is in the same ball park as these rookies: Keith 21, Weber 29 (pace), Doughty 27, Hedman 20, Jones 25. All are today known as solid and very well-rounded d-men, probably because they started by working on their defense before taking more initiatives offensively.

And that’s just ten games in, I suspect he will start turning the offensive up as he gets up to speed.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Hey Sabre fans

Honest question. From watching Dahlin, you can see he will be fine long term, great pick obviously.

I was wondering if you guys, as a fanbase, ever worry that his development could be hurt by playing this year in the NHL and in Buffalo?

I ask because it's historically been a lot harder on young teenage D.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Hey Sabre fans

Honest question. From watching Dahlin, you can see he will be fine long term, great pick obviously.

I was wondering if you guys, as a fanbase, ever worry that his development could be hurt by playing this year in the NHL and in Buffalo?

He’s the best defenseman on the team as an 18 year old. He doesn’t look out of place at all. He’ll be fine. Thank you for your concern.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
He’s the best defenseman on the team as an 18 year old. He doesn’t look out of place at all. He’ll be fine. Thank you for your concern.

I was only asking? My cousin lives in Buffalo, and we were having a convo about it, just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Was not trying to be rude?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Hey Sabre fans

Imagine combining Timothy Liljegren and Rasmus Sandin into one defensemen, and then trading him with a lot of other pieces for the first overall draft pick and getting an elite defenseman and future Norris winner.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Imagine combining Timothy Liljegren and Rasmus Sandin into one defensemen, and then trading him with a lot of other pieces for the first overall draft pick and getting an elite defenseman and future Norris winner.

I get it. Nobody is allowed to ask you guys questions. I was actually not trying to be rude, just curious about it.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I get it. Nobody is allowed to ask you guys questions. I was actually not trying to be rude, just curious about it.

We have been burned before from quote curious end quote Leaf fans who are really just here to troll.

I haven't been worried and he has looked very good - taking it slow while still being elite defensively. And now that we brought in Steve Smith I am even less worried when you look at what he did with the Carolina D.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
We have been burned before from quote curious end quote Leaf fans who are really just here to troll.

I haven't been worried and he has looked very good - taking it slow while still being elite defensively. And now that we brought in Steve Smith I am even less worried when you look at what he did with the Carolina D.

Totally understand, but we have a lot of fans, many of us are good hockey people lol sorry you had to deal with the A-holes.

Glad to hear! I have watched him a bit, but not as much as I have wanted to. I didn't want to stat watch him, and as a young D, that is never telling.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

No worry at all; has shown his youth in some situations, but he'll learn. I'm happy as hell about the pick, have no qualms about him starting in the NHL, and think he'll end up being our best player (including Jack) within 1-2 years.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I was only asking? My cousin lives in Buffalo, and we were having a convo about it, just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Was not trying to be rude?

He only answered???? I mean what has happened to make you think it’s an issue?

The team is over .500, Dahlin looks great defensively for a skinny 18 year old.

Think of asking this question to Leafs fans regarding Matthews as a rookie.

Because the only premise you gave for your question having any value, is that generally it’s hard for defenders to play as a teenager.

But that premise is only relevant with context. Like, interesting question if we were talking about a mid first round pick.

But the history of top two pick defenders is pretty heavily in favor of successful rookie years that were stepping stones to success. Ekblad was certainly best served in the nhl over destroying in juniors another year.
Doughty was great as a teenage rookie. So was Hedman and Potvin and most of those types of prospects.

So it’s less of a harsh response, or that you were being rude. It was just a dumb premise to ask, particularly since the player in question has looked very impressive.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Totally understand, but we have a lot of fans, many of us are good hockey people lol sorry you had to deal with the A-holes.

Glad to hear! I have watched him a bit, but not as much as I have wanted to. I didn't want to stat watch him, and as a young D, that is never telling.

So, that's the key right now. If you watch him, he's playing a very defense-first game. You'll get 1-2 high-danger rushes a game from him, he just hasn't buried many yet. Trust me though, he's looked the part.

Reactions: sabrebuild and DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
No worry at all; has shown his youth in some situations, but he'll learn. I'm happy as hell about the pick, have no qualms about him starting in the NHL, and think he'll end up being our best player (including Jack) within 1-2 years.

Awesome!

I was curious. I was telling another poster that I have not seen him as much as I would like, and I hate stat watching, it never tells the story. I am prob going to catch a game in Buffalo, so that bodes well.

Thank you!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
So, that's the key right now. If you watch him, he's playing a very defense-first game. You'll get 1-2 high-danger rushes a game from him, he just hasn't buried many yet. Trust me though, he's looked the part.

Awesome. Yeah, I have seen more highlights rather than full games this year (work has been crazy) and I wanted to get down to a live game, see family, and check him out live.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
He only answered???? I mean what has happened to make you think it’s an issue?

The team is over .500, Dahlin looks great defensively for a skinny 18 year old.

Think of asking this question to Leafs fans regarding Matthews as a rookie.

Because the only premise you gave for your question having any value, is that generally it’s hard for defenders to play as a teenager.

But that premise is only relevant with context. Like, interesting question if we were talking about a mid first round pick.

But the history of top two pick defenders is pretty heavily in favor of successful rookie years that were stepping stones to success. Ekblad was certainly best served in the nhl over destroying in juniors another year.
Doughty was great as a teenage rookie. So was Hedman and Potvin and most of those types of prospects.

So it’s less of a harsh response, or that you were being rude. It was just a dumb premise to ask, particularly since the player in question has looked very impressive.

As I explained to another poster, with work being busy, I have not seen him as much as I like, I usually watch most games.

So instead of stat watching, I wanted an opinion, that is all.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Awesome!

I was curious. I was telling another poster that I have not seen him as much as I would like, and I hate stat watching, it never tells the story. I am prob going to catch a game in Buffalo, so that bodes well.

Thank you!

Sure thing. Thanks for stopping by. Just never be surprised when the reaction to a Leafs fan in a Sabres prospect/player thread is initially hostile. :laugh:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Sure thing. Thanks for stopping by. Just never be surprised when the reaction to a Leafs fan in a Sabres prospect/player thread is initially hostile. :laugh:

I have realized, but I also get it, these boards can be brutal.

Cheers!

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It was only a few weeks ago some helpful Leaf fan asked if we were worried because Rasmus Sandin was performing so much better than Rasmus Dahlin in preseason. :eyeroll:

Reactions: Graves

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

holy hyperbole

Dahlin is not going to be better than Eichel. Eichel may finally have a linemate who is not a boat anchor. I suspect he will easily exceed a point per game this year and nobody will be saying Dahlin will be better

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
holy hyperbole

Dahlin is not going to be better than Eichel. Eichel may finally have a linemate who is not a boat anchor. I suspect he will easily exceed a point per game this year and nobody will be saying Dahlin will be better

Yeah what kind of moron would think a defenseman who was taken 1st overall and touted as the best defensive prospect since potvin, could possibly be better than a point per game Center!

The kid has played 9 games. Give it time and I think plenty of folks will be calling him the best player on the team.

Don’t forget, Jack Eichel had just 3 points in his first 10 games and went on to score almost 60 as a rookie. Long season and a lot can change.

Anyway, I digress. It is a good problem to have when you can debate which player with an elite skill set is the best on the team. Been a while!

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Which is why it's amazing that there's a really strong argument to be made for him being the best defenseman on the team already. Imagine how good he's gonna be when he's 22.

Elite defensemen like Karlsson/Doughty/Hedman/etc. completely control the play when they're on the ice. Now imagine what it's going to be like when him and Jack are out there together.

Yeah man and adding onto your point it took those players your mentioning like Doughty , Hedman , Karlsson etc like 2-3 years before they reached their dominant play. With Dahlin I think it will take him the season not quite 2-3 Years

Reactions: darcyRegier

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
As I explained to another poster, with work being busy, I have not seen him as much as I like, I usually watch most games.

So instead of stat watching, I wanted an opinion, that is all.

Safer option might have just been, how does he look. Versus, hey usually young defenders suck, you guys worried Dahlin will get screwed up too.

The question had a lot to be desired.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Safer option might have just been, how does he look. Versus, hey usually young defenders suck, you guys worried Dahlin will get screwed up too.

The question had a lot to be desired.

Fair lol

I realized afterwards, but I for sure didn't mean a thing by it.

Reactions: sabrebuild
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad