Rantanen vs. Nylander

Who would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
this season, rantanen. to this point in tge8r careers, nylander. so based on that, I dint know and will not vote.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
this clearly takes into the account one guy has the PP edge in pts 23-7 mainly because he gets 3:46 a game vs 2:07 per game.

Nylander outscored Rantanen by 23 pts last year..so there is that

This argument makes zero sense, when you cited PP points working against Rantanen this year. Yet you make the same bolded point not mentioning Nylander had 26-10 advantage in PP points last season against Rantanen.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think it's closer than the poll result suggest, both are doing great but Rantanen has been better this season. It'll be interesting to compare them over the years.

member 147413

Leafs fan, I love Bill but Rantanen is one hell of a player too.

I refrained from voting because posters have fair arguments to either side and I do believe it’s too close/early to call right now.

Good poll filled with dumb c u next tuesdays on both sides.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
A puck possession best with inferior possession stats...

And besides being a puck possession beast with better 5on5 numbers, Nylander has way better offence overall. 120 points in 165 games vs. 94 points in 142 games.

Nylander wins in many different ways.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And besides being a puck possession beast with better 5on5 numbers, Nylander has way better offence overall. 120 points in 165 games vs. 94 points in 142 games.

Nylander wins in many different ways.

Good thing playing on (and leading in goals) a historically impotent team as a rookie has no effect on a player's production so that this comparison is of any value...

Hell Nylander is still playing for the team that scores more this season, just like he has in every season that these two have been in NA, but this season (for once) the difference is negligible and Mikko is leaving Nylander in the dust. In the end, I think they're very comparable level players with different styles and some different strengths (although both have exceptional hands, passing skills, and shots); but Mikko is the one having the more impressive season right now. And Mikko's the one whose style I have always preferred.

Who'll be better in the end? Who's better this season: Voracek/Wheeler or Giroux/Gaudreau? The answer depends entirely on the style of player you prefer and your team's needs/style of play. Having both of them around one of MacK or Matthews would be damn near a perfect top line.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Rantanen is having the better year but I'd still hold on to Nylander over him.

Rantanen plays 3:46 of PP time a game, that is ridiculous(and it's worked for him). He's put in that position to put up points.

Babs said just as early as last game he doesn't play his forwards big minutes like other teams do, but he might do that a bit differently during 'crunch time'.

Nylander has been better at even strength production so far, but Rantanen has a huge edge with power play points.

Because things like PP points can be so varied year by year, I'd still give the slight edge to Nylander moving forward.
Nylander also got a lot of PP points last year (similar to Rantanen this year, both in their D+3 season), so I don't think thats a very strong argument.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Good thing playing on (and leading in goals) a historically impotent team as a rookie has no effect on a player's production so that this comparison is of any value...

Hell Nylander is still playing for the team that scores more this season, just like he has in every season that these two have been in NA, but this season (for once) the difference is negligible and Mikko is leaving Nylander in the dust. In the end, I think they're very comparable level players with different styles and some different strengths (although both have exceptional hands, passing skills, and shots); but Mikko is the one having the more impressive season right now. And Mikko's the one whose style I have always preferred.

Who'll be better in the end? Who's better this season: Voracek/Wheeler or Giroux/Gaudreau? The answer depends entirely on the style of player you prefer and your team's needs/style of play. Having both of them around one of MacK or Matthews would be damn near a perfect top line.

LOL. Nylander has ONE good linemate in Matthews, but also plays with Zach freaking Hyman. Rantanen gets both McKinnon and Landeskog to help his numbers.

Nylander is more impressive, and while he's SLIGHTLY behind in this year's numbers, will have better numbers for his career, I bet.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
LOL. Nylander has ONE good linemate in Matthews, but also plays with Zach freaking Hyman. Rantanen gets both McKinnon and Landeskog to help his numbers.

Nylander is more impressive, and while he's SLIGHTLY behind in this year's numbers, will have better numbers for his career, I bet.

The linemate excuse didn't count for Mikko in last year's version of these polls, so it doesn't count for Nylander this year.

And there is NOTHING slight about being 10 points behind with 20 more games for Mikko to pad that lead.

Next.

Last edited:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Landeskog 32 points even strength...hyman 29....i get that hyman missing and falling is annoying but he is having an outstanding season and yet you complain...he is part of one of thr best lines in hockey he is good enough in worst case...

Reactions: cgf

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Nylander also got a lot of PP points last year (similar to Rantanen this year, both in their D+3 season), so I don't think thats a very strong argument.

The difference being Rantanen has 3 less PP points this season than Nylander did last season, and through 58 GP has already played more minutes on the PP than Nylander did in 81.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
The difference being Rantanen has 3 less PP points this season than Nylander did last season, and through 58 GP has already played more minutes on the PP than Nylander did in 81.
The real difference is that leafs scored 85 more goals..

The Avs scored 166 goals last year..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad