Rant of the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
What would you do if your boss locked you out until you agree to his/her terms?

If you were making more money than anyone else in your field and your boss decides that due to an economic slowdown and rapidly increasing costs/payroll that he/she would have to either lose money by staying in business or lock the doors until you agreed to work under a different kind of working arrangement that guaranteed you 54% of gross revenues in pay - what would you do?

A) stomp your feet and say I'm not coming back to work until you let me decide the terms and conditons.

B) come to an understanding of what ails your bosses business and come to a reasonable solution.

C) hold out and hope that your boss capitulates.

Just can't wait to hear all the excuses and sarcastic comments.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
eye said:
If you were making more money than anyone else in your field and your boss decides that due to an economic slowdown and rapidly increasing costs/payroll that he/she would have to either lose money by staying in business or lock the doors until you agreed to work under a different kind of working arrangement that guaranteed you 54% of gross revenues in pay - what would you do?

A) stomp your feet and say I'm not coming back to work until you let me decide the terms and conditons.

B) come to an understanding of what ails your bosses business and come to a reasonable solution.

C) hold out and hope that your boss capitulates.

Just can't wait to hear all the excuses and sarcastic comments.
i would go work for one of the dozen competitors in our industry and make my boss understand the mistake he made by agressivly targeting the clients i have built for him.

i turn down two or three attempts each year to recruit me away, my employer wouldnt even try it.

i guess that would be "a". wouldnt you ?

dr

Last edited:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
eye said:

Seek counsel from a fan on a mesage board. Maybe base my career decisions on a poll.

Sooooooo easy to run other's lives, to be so flip, judgemental from the outside on issues impacting other's professions. Fun too, eh? :speechles

two out of three*

I would stomp my feet at McDonalds until they put a cap on the fat guy in the back who makes burgers for himself.

skellart

Jan 24, 2005
Chattown
predwing in chattown

There are alot of strong oppinions about what should & shouldn't be in this deal. All I know is that this whole thing is about money and to make money you have to have a good product. Hockey is a great product but we all know that for a casual fan it's better live than on tv. Something has to be done to generate scoring and make it more exciting to watch. In addition there needs to be more main stream advertising to grab peoples attention. Maybe when this thing is done thay need to have a "Come see the new hockey" campaign to attract attention. The more you attract, the more you gain fans and the more money is spent on hockey and isn't that where all this started?v

Liquidrage*

That type of crap happens all the time.

Forced pay cuts. Forced unpaid overtime. Additional job duties.

I'm a professional. I make a good living but I am not even close to be "rich". Most jobs that don't have to deal with those things I mention are unionized. The unions exist to protect them. Sheetworkers, ironworkers, UPS employees, etc. A vast majority of these unions are protecting workers that don't make even half what I do on average.

It's one reason I really don't like player's unions in the professional sports. When the dot com bubble burst my owner laid off people he didn't sell his Porsche. Crap happens. Athletes don't need unions to earn livable wages or to have decent working conditions. I consider it a farce that they have one. They only things unions have done in pro-sports is help ruin the sports and turn pro-athletes into mega-millionares. Without the unions the players would still be paid salaries well above the average person. The players can all go rot in hell for all I care. Well, until this stuff all gets worked out anyways, then just the Leafs and Devils players can rot in hell.

two out of three*

Ok, I made a dumb joke earlier (that I thought was hillarious), but on a more serious note:

I like to consider myself a neutral supporter. In some instances I agree with the PA, and in some instances I agree with the Owners. But when the players in the NHL signed in the NHL, they abide to play under the rules. Play under the leagues rules. Its not the players game. They can't take the game over.

If you do not like the conditions you are playing under then just leave. By signing into the NHL you should have thought about the working conditions. Now, they ***** and moan at the owners for certain things they don't like about the game. Well, news flash.. Its not your job to decide what goes on in the NHL. All you do is play in the league, not make business decisions. If the NHL wants to implement a hard cap, then so be it. Thats the way it should be.

The players get paid to play hockey. Thats what they lived their entire lives for. For them to try and decide how the league should be run is ridiculous. Now, no I don't agree that a Hard Cap is the only way, as a matter of fact I think that the owners should back off that stance. Its not a perfect world, there are going to be flaws in every CBA proposed. The players have to understand that.

Now I know this argument is going to pop up. Ok, if your boss makes a change that you don't like. And this CHANGE will BETTER THE ENVIORNMENT THAT YOU WORK IN, You don't STOP working. You keep working even if you don't like the change. Eventually its gonna be known that the change he made is not very popular around the office, (construction field, w/e) and he will consider a change. Nobody likes to have unhappy employees.

The players just have to live with the fact that there is going to be a hard cap. I know that it may not seem right, but they have to deal with it. Probably if there is still an outcry that they hate it, it will get changed. But the fact of the matter is they are still getting paid to play hockey (which is supposed to be the game they love) so why can't they put money aside? Its not like they aren't going to get paid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
The Season Is Gone

It's no longer about "getting a deal done".

The NHLPA offered a 6 year contract that gave cost certainty to the NHL after three seasons.. The deal included an immediate across the board 24% salary rollback.

The NHL refuses to budge off of their 54% of what they claim as "hockey revenues" as their cost certainty. The players' offer gave them everything they need to be profitable.

This owners' lockout is about one thing only, and that is increasing their franchise values.

I'm very interested to see if anyone here believes owners will drop ticket prices by 24 % ?

Jazz

hawker14 said:
....I'm very interested to see if anyone here believes owners will drop ticket prices by 24 % ?
This makes absolutely no sense......Since when does player salaries make up 100% of the expenses by the league? Yet gate-revenue is the major aspect of revenue.....If they owner's get a 24% reduction in a component of their expenses, you expect them to give on a same roll-back on gate-revenue when the league is losing alot of money in the first place?

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
me2 said:
You think ticket prices increased at the same rate as player salary?

Game, Set, Match.

Why so many can't get this basic idea is truly astounding to me.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
free0717 said:
The Players are a bunch of Dumb **ses.

The Owners are united and not going to cave.

Players, just give it up, your going to have a cap. Right now once you give in to the Idea of a cap, the owners will give into a higher percentage, better arbitration rights and lower FA age if you save the season. Lose the season and you will be back at this point again next season. And guess what, You have lost 1-1/2 seasons of paychecks you will never make up. So Players, stop being stupid and just give in to the Cap. :banghead:

The Owners are a bunch of Dumb **ses.

Owners, just give it up, your not going to have a cap. Right now once you give in to the Idea of no cap, the players will give into salary rollback, better arbitration rights and lower FA age if you save the season. Lose the season and you will be back at this point again next season. And guess what, You have lost 30-50% of your teams worth, you will never make up. So Owners, stop being stupid and just give in to no Cap.

:innocent:

It goes both ways, both sides are right, both sides are wrong. But obviously men with university degrees can't figure out a way to divide 2.1 Billion dollars

Cully9

Oct 15, 2004
hawker14 said:
It's no longer about "getting a deal done".

The NHLPA offered a 6 year contract that gave cost certainty to the NHL after three seasons.. The deal included an immediate across the board 24% salary rollback.

The NHL refuses to budge off of their 54% of what they claim as "hockey revenues" as their cost certainty. The players' offer gave them everything they need to be profitable.

This owners' lockout is about one thing only, and that is increasing their franchise values.

I'm very interested to see if anyone here believes owners will drop ticket prices by 24 % ?

The players' offer also didn't include the hundreds of players that are currently without contract, so the 24% rollback isn't really across the board of the entire PA membership. Furthermore, what good is rolling back salaries 24% when the rest of the changes to the actual system are minor and it's a system that has seen salaries increase over 200% in the last ten years? At that rate, why would it take longer than a year or two for players to recoup that rollback?

Give them credit for this though: throwing that big number out there helped unite the players, making them think that they were making a generous offer.

SENSible1*

NataSatan666 said:
The Owners are a bunch of Dumb **ses.

Owners, just give it up, your not going to have a cap. Right now once you give in to the Idea of no cap, the players will give into salary rollback, better arbitration rights and lower FA age if you save the season. Lose the season and you will be back at this point again next season. And guess what, You have lost 30-50% of your teams worth, you will never make up. So Owners, stop being stupid and just give in to no Cap.

The owners will make up that money and far more once they get their inevitable cap. Forget profits, on franchise value alone the owners will be way ahead.

So players, stop being stupid and just give in to the Cap.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
The owners will make up that money and far more once they get their inevitable cap. Forget profits, on franchise value alone the owners will be way ahead.

How do you figure? Because the expense on player contracts will be less? Wrong answer.

SENSible1*

go kim johnsson said:
How do you figure? Because the expense on player contracts will be less? Wrong answer.

Do a search of all the threads looking for how franchise value is affected by a cap, the get back to me. If I really need to explain this basic a concept to someone who has lived on these boards for the last few months then I'm confident any explantion on my part would be lost on you.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Using NHL logic, they'll reach a deal and announce it Super Bowl Sunday when no one is paying attention. Well i guess it's fitting since a lot of Americans dont even know their is a labor stoppage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad