Rank the D-men from 2012 Draft

JS91

May 14, 2014
Wow that's a lot of defenseman taken in the top 15.
What happened to Koekkoek?

Still playing in the A. He's only 20 years old so there's nothing to worry about. Took Hedman until he hit 23 before he started producing on the level he was expected to produce. I could see him getting a shot at playing for the Bolts as soon as next season unless something unexpected happens.

Karlsson2Turris*

Ceci is being criminally underrated here. He should be near the bottom of this list but saying "he doesn't belong in this conversation" means you've never seen him play.

penguins2946*

murray+pouliot will be the best then reinhart+rielly

As the leader of the Derrick Pouliot fanclub, you're wrong. He doesn't have nearly a strong enough defensive game to end up the best D in the class. He'll end up the best OFD, but not the best D. I think Trouba and Lindholm end up the 2 best, followed by Rielly and then Maatta.

While Maatta is really good and I'm a huge fan of his, I don't think his upside is as good as the other 3. He doesn't have the raw talent to be up there with those 2. Maatta is really polished already, which is why he looked really good in the last 2 years (he was playing like a top pair D this year), but I don't know how much higher he could go. He's going to be a top pair guy, but I don't see the franchise D potential in him like I see in Rielly, Trouba and Lindholm. I feel similar with Murray.

MovesLikeJagr68

Mar 26, 2012
In 5+ years it's going to be interesting to see if 2012's class of D-men could be considered better than 2008's. Gonna make a great poll on here in the future.

Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Josi, Brodie, Carlson, Bogosian, Hamonic, Voynov, Myers (plus a bunch others who are NHL regulars)

vs

Trouba, Lindholm, Maatta, Murray, Reinhart, Pouliot, Rielly, Ceci, Koekkoek, Dumba55 (and that's only from the 1st round)

Damn son!

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Rielly is a wild card. Missed an entire development season before his draft, and has only played on weak teams his entire pro career. Maybe minus this year's Leaf team and the short time with the Marlies. Carlyle doesn't give him very much PK or PP time, but he has been know to be great at both in Juniors. His biggest problem that will stop him from scoring in his NHL is his below average shot. However, the points, mainly assists, will come with more PP and 5on5 ice time. That being said, I do believe their is a gap right now between him and Trouba, Lindholm, and somewhat Maata. Murray not so much yet, but will be better then most soon.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Think Duckjet and Sojourn said it best. Trouba and Lindholm(who I was hoping for actually. Liked what I had read up on him and just seemed like he could be a great defenseman) followed very closely by Maata and Murray.

Man what a draft for Dmen. Can't believe what it's already put out with more coming. Crazy to have two drafts with so many good and great defensemen so close together.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Interesting how HF gives Ryan Murray an 8.0, Hampus Lindholm a 7.5 but Olli Maatta an 8.5. Based on their draft position you would think it would be the different.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Interesting how HF gives Ryan Murray an 8.0, Hampus Lindholm a 7.5 but Olli Maatta an 8.5. Based on their draft position you would think it would be the different.

Full rankings

Maatta 8.5
Rielly 8.5

Trouba 8.0
Murray 8.0
Pouliot 8.0
Dumba 8.0

Lindholm 7.5

Ceci 7.0

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
As of now I'd rank them:
Trouba
Lindholm
Maatta
Murray

Reilly
Ceci
Pouliot

Offensively Pouliot is looking special, if he provides even ok defense he'll be one the top guys from this draft.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Lindholm caught a number of people by surprise. HF didn't even have him in their top 50 either of the two years after the draft. By the time they probably realized how good he was, he had graduated.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Not really a useful tool for comparing players across the league. Different people do each team ranking, and every individual is going to come with their own set of biases or a tendency to rate low/high, etc.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I already have him ahead of a few of the guys taken first round. He's gonna be a solid defender.

He has progressed nicely. He just has so much offensive upside. IMO, there was no defenseman selected that has higher offensive potential than him, that includes Pouliot and Rielly. He is just so explosive. Hopefully he has a full recovery from that ACL injury.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Lindholm never even got graced with a top 50 prospects appearance by HF. I think their writers thought the pick was a reach.

Bobby Ryan also got higher ratings from HF than Getzlaf and Perry. So take them with a grain of salt whenever possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad