Trouba/Lindholm
Maata/Rielly
Murray

Ceci

with Potential factored in IMO its
Trouba/Lindholm/Maata/Rielly
Murray
Ceci

No way Murray shouldn't be even with the other 5 if potential is factored in. He arguably has the highest potential of them all.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Lindholm
Trouba
Maatta
Murray/rielly
Ceci

Not the players I would take, in order, For my team moving forward, but the players who are better right now imo.

bobbyt911

It's getting feisty in here.

No way Murray shouldn't be even with the other 5 if potential is factored in. He arguably has the highest potential of them all.

IMO its the style of Murray's game , while impactually <just made that up lol is prob better doesn't have that flair that Trouba/Maata/Lindholm and Rielly do.
On that note Rielly is not getting any love for his insane progression in his weak areas. The kid is a perfectionist in that he recognized his defensive play was sub par last year so he has stepped up his D game drastically and purposely laid off of his offence. Later this year or next year I expect him to open up his game as long as Carlyle actually lets the kid play. It isn't fair to Rielly cuz the others are allowed to play to their full potential but Carlyle limits Rielly

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
There is not a gap between Maatta, Lindholm and Trouba. He's right up there with those 2 in the battle for the best of the class.

In overall play, I would agree. But when I look at the potential of these players, that is were I see the gap.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Lindholm and Trouba, to me, are 1a and 1b. Maatta is 2. Murray is 3(mostly because he's had difficulty staying healthy, as I think he's been better than Maatta).

Rielly and Ceci are definitely a step behind them.

I do think Rielly can join that top group, and he has as much potential as any of them, but he isn't there yet.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I dont many people realize how good Ceci has been in the NHL. He doesn't get a lot of love on HF. Not even talked about much.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I dont many people realize how good Ceci has been in the NHL. He doesn't get a lot of love on HF. Not even talked about much.

He's being ranked below Lindholm, Trouba, Murray, and Maatta. How is that not accurate?

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
IMO its the style of Murray's game , while impactually <just made that up lol is prob better doesn't have that flair that Trouba/Maata/Lindholm and Rielly do.
On that note Rielly is not getting any love for his insane progression in his weak areas. The kid is a perfectionist in that he recognized his defensive play was sub par last year so he has stepped up his D game drastically and purposely laid off of his offence. Later this year or next year I expect him to open up his game as long as Carlyle actually lets the kid play. It isn't fair to Rielly cuz the others are allowed to play to their full potential but Carlyle limits Rielly

Maybe the coaching and management want him to just focus on defense this year? They know he has terrific offensive talent, and that will never disappear. The Ducks did a similar thing with Fowler - he had that great rookie season of 10g/40 points, but his defensive game needed a ton of work. The team basically spent the next two seasons getting him to round out his game and it worked wonders for Fowler as he is great at both ends of the ice now. I honestly didn't think Fowler would be able to turn into such a good defensive guy when we drafted him (neither did most scouts).

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Im not complaining about that. I think thats correct.

I just meant in general.

Ah, fair enough. You're probably right. He's always impressed me when I've seen him. I didn't realize at first who he was, because I thought he was a veteran.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Im not complaining about that. I think thats correct.

I just meant in general.

I don't think anyone doubts how good Ceci is. I think most people agree that 2008 and 2012 are big years for infusing defensive talent into the league and Ceci definitely is a part of that

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
As a pegger yes I see Trouba as being the best. But objectively speaking, Lindholm is just as good. I don't really know anything about Murray, never see him play.

Trouba/Lindholm
Maata
Murray
Reilly
Dumba
Ceci
Severson

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
My Ranking:

Trouba
Lindholm
Murray
Maatta
Rielly
Ceci

Lindholm and Trouba, to me, are 1a and 1b. Maatta is 2. Murray is 3(mostly because he's had difficulty staying healthy, as I think he's been better than Maatta).

Rielly and Ceci are definitely a step behind them.

I do think Rielly can join that top group, and he has as much potential as any of them, but he isn't there yet.

Agree with your post 100 %. The only reason why Rielly should be ahead of Lindholm, Trouba, Maatta and Murray is because of potential. Other then that, he has not shown he is above any of the defenseman you listed above.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Agree with your post 100 %. The only reason why Rielly should be ahead of Lindholm, Trouba, Maatta and Murray is because of potential. Other then that, he has not shown he is above any of the defenseman you listed above.

Yikes. Homer much.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Yikes. Homer much.

His skating on offensive acumen are already on par with some of the elite defensemen. He can't shoot and his defensive game his shady but in terms of the tools that define elite players in today's NHL he has that in spades on par or better then the other D in the draft. There is no question that he had and still has the highest offensive potential in the draft, but the question becomes does he reach it, and if so is his defensive game improved enough that he is more effective overall than Lindholm, Murray, Trouba and Maattas who are all great two way D.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
If only potential mattered, then Pouliot would be ranked in the top 3. Määttä has been the best defender on the Penguins since he stepped on ice imo, and contributed greatly in Finland's olympic bronze performance. Terribly bad luck this year.

With that said, I haven't seen the others enough to compare Määttä's play to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad