Rank the D-men from 2012 Draft

penguins2946*

His skating on offensive acumen are already on par with some of the elite defensemen. He can't shoot and his defensive game his shady but in terms of the tools that define elite players in today's NHL he has that in spades on par or better then the other D in the draft. There is no question that he had and still has the highest offensive potential in the draft, but the question becomes does he reach it, and if so is his defensive game improved enough that he is more effective overall than Lindholm, Murray, Trouba and Maattas who are all great two way D.

I think Pouliot specifically would disagree greatly with that. Pouliot's offensive potential is the highest, but Rielly's overall potential is much higher than Pouliot's.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
His skating on offensive acumen are already on par with some of the elite defensemen. He can't shoot and his defensive game his shady but in terms of the tools that define elite players in today's NHL he has that in spades on par or better then the other D in the draft. There is no question that he had and still has the highest offensive potential in the draft, but the question becomes does he reach it, and if so is his defensive game improved enough that he is more effective overall than Lindholm, Murray, Trouba and Maattas who are all great two way D.

Oh he is not close to those four you listed in terms of D. Or not close enough. He can be an offensive powerhouse for sure but the way the Lindholms, Murrays, Troubas, and Maattas are progressing, I don't think Rielly's ever gonna get on their level in the defensive zone.

bobbyt911

Maybe the coaching and management want him to just focus on defense this year? They know he has terrific offensive talent, and that will never disappear. The Ducks did a similar thing with Fowler - he had that great rookie season of 10g/40 points, but his defensive game needed a ton of work. The team basically spent the next two seasons getting him to round out his game and it worked wonders for Fowler as he is great at both ends of the ice now. I honestly didn't think Fowler would be able to turn into such a good defensive guy when we drafted him (neither did most scouts).

this^ it really shows this year how much they want him to focus on D, gotta say I am very impressed how well he has been picking up that part of his game.
I bet we are gonna be the ones in a cpl years who will be saying "I told ya" when Rielly starts playing as an offensively minded all around #1 D and most others will be saying where did that come from lol

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

I wouldn't say that. Rielly has 4 goals which would make him tied-27 in d-man, and 69 shots, which would make him 24th in d-man. He has the ability to get shots through the net, no doubt because of his offensive acumen. All he needs to do is put more power in his shot, then I think he can be more lethal in the offensive zone.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Oh he is not close to those four you listed in terms of D. Or not close enough. He can be an offensive powerhouse for sure but the way the Lindholms, Murrays, Troubas, and Maattas are progressing, I don't think Rielly's ever gonna get on their level in the defensive zone.

I never said defensive game. I said Riellys offensive game would have to reach potential and defensive game would have to improve to have the same overall impact as those 4. As in elite offensive potential and average-above average D vs. elite two-way ability.

I think Pouliot specifically would disagree greatly with that. Pouliot's offensive potential is the highest, but Rielly's overall potential is much higher than Pouliot's.

Why don't you wait until he makes the NHL full time...

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn't say that. Rielly has 4 goals which would make him tied-27 in d-man, and 69 shots, which would make him 24th in d-man. He has the ability to get shots through the net, no doubt because of his offensive acumen. All he needs to do is put more power in his shot, then I think he can be more lethal in the offensive zone.

He has a great wrist shot but the problem is his wrist shot is harder and has more power than his slap shot.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He's not entirely wrong. Rielly has huge potential. I don't know if it's overwhelmingly more than Trouba, Lindholm, and Murray, but he's definitely got as much potential.

Riellys potential is at best on par Trouba, Lindholm and Murray but is less likely to reach it than those 3. Its entirely wrong. I dont see how he could be ranked ahead of them based on potential.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I never said defensive game. I said Riellys offensive game would have to reach potential and defensive game would have to improve to have the same overall impact as those 4. As in elite offensive potential and average-above average D vs. elite two-way ability.

I think I read that wrong.

Sensation

Apr 27, 2009
Cary, NC
While I agree with where he is placed on these lists, Ceci does tend to not get very much recognition on HF. 2nd best defenseman on the Sens.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
While I agree with where he is placed on these lists, Ceci does tend to not get very much recognition on HF. 2nd best defenseman on the Sens.

Yup. He's good. Just not the same potential. I see Ceci as a pretty safe bet to become Carlson clone.

penguins2946*

So we're not allowed to judge potential until they're in the NHL? Alright. Pouliot would be in the NHL on basically 20 other teams, it's just that the Pens have both an assload of D on 1 way deals and an assload of further developed D prospects. Now that he's in the NHL, he's producing.

BigBush*

No he doesn't, that's fine though, he's being compared to a ridiculously good 2012 draft class.

Sky is the limit for Ceci though, he could certainly end up being on the top of the list

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Lindholm Trouba Maatta
Reilly
Ceci
Murray (injuries)

How would Dougie Hamilton stack up against these guys? I think he would be right up there with Trouba Maatta and Lindholm.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
My top 5 for who I would want going forward:

Trouba
Lindholm
Maatta
Murray
Rielly

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad