Rank the Canadian Defensemen:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Cowen is strong enough to lean on people. He's mobile enough to get back into the play when he makes a bad pinch. He lost basically a year and a half of development from his knee injury. I have full confidence he'll be a beast in a couple years - and he already is strong enough to play in the NHL.

As to why the Sens like him: He's an excellent fit with our golden boy, Erik Karlsson. He has enough skill/puck handling to perhaps give us a Keith-Seabrook type top pairing as early as next season.

Find other 6'5-6'6 235 19 year olds that have QBd powerplays in the CHL and you probably get a look into why Cowen was and is regarded highly. He's probably going to play in the NHL at an Andy Sutton size and his mobility right now is pretty similar to what Sutton's is currently.

His hands need a lot of work, but he showed in pre-season he could have played good defense in the NHL right now. Systematic hockey will make things easier on him.

I think people are underwhelmed because he can make it look pretty ugly out their...but a 19 year old with his size and mobility has a lot of developmental room heading into the NHL.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but I think Gudbranson's been Canada's best overall defenseman this tournament.

Defensively, he's currently leading the tournament in +/- for defenseman at +8.

Offensively, he's first in goal scoring at 3 goals, and he's third in points behind only Ellis and Orlov, despite the fact he's gotten almost zero PP time.

The only issue I've had with him is he sometimes seems to give the opposition too much space coming into Canada's zone before cutting it off at the faceoff dot. But otherwise, he's been dependable in his own zone, smart outlet passes, physical, and he's actually putting up impressive point totals for a "stay at home" guy.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Gudbranson's been getting better by the game...and he kept it up tonight. He's strong, hits big, has a cannon and has good hands. Raw kid...but it's already working out right now. He'll be too good for this tournament when he's 19.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
de haan is clearly hurt again and continues to get hurt in this tourney when it is his chance to shine.

one day there will be a "where did de haan come from?" thread about his play in the NHL as a young D

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Maybe it's just me, but I think Gudbranson's been Canada's best overall defenseman this tournament.

Offensively, he's first in goal scoring at 3 goals, and he's third in points behind only Ellis and Orlov, despite the fact he's gotten almost zero PP time.

The only issue I've had with him is he sometimes seems to give the opposition too much space coming into Canada's zone before cutting it off at the faceoff dot. But otherwise, he's been dependable in his own zone, smart outlet passes, physical, and he's actually putting up impressive point totals for a "stay at home" guy.

I agree he and Cowen are looking great out there. Tonight I thought all the d men had strong games.

bshaw

Jul 4, 2010
Hamilton
gudbranson
de haan
ellis
depres
barrie
cowen
olsen (deffinitely not playing at 100%, has to have an injury)

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Ellis
Gudbranson
Barrie / Despres
Cowen
DeHaan
Olsen

Gudbranson started off a little rough, but has been great lately. I feel very comfortable with him and Despres on the ice in every situation. Barrie had a very good game against the US.

Neither Cowen or De Haan have impressed me at all.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Gudbranson's been getting better by the game...and he kept it up tonight. He's strong, hits big, has a cannon and has good hands. Raw kid...but it's already working out right now. He'll be too good for this tournament when he's 19.

Which is why he'll probably be in the NHL unfortunately for us Canadians.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Agrred. He will have an amazing career.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
Now i'd probably say :

Ellis
Gudbranson
Barrie
Cowen (seems too slow though)
Despres
De Haan (didn't play alot due to injury)
Olsen (He was getting better the last 2 games though)

GM17*

Everyone was.

Because making the point that Despres played an excellent game was made without comparing him to the other Canadian defencemen...

LET ME REPHRASE THAT THEN:
Despres was a STANDOUT defenceman in the USA game and played better than most people wearing his jersey.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
It seems to me like Cowen has deceptive foot speed. He doesn't have that top end breakaway speed, but he closes in fast in his own zone, especially on the rush. He certainly doesn't let many skaters past him.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
It seems to me like Cowen has deceptive foot speed. He doesn't have that top end breakaway speed, but he closes in fast in his own zone, especially on the rush. He certainly doesn't let many skaters past him.

When your 6'5 235 at 19 your given leeway on speed. He was slow last year....this year his speed is adequate, at worst. It's less his speed and more so his foot work...but when you have the physical tools he has your given time to develop and work on those things over years.

Cowen suffers from a poor first impression and now any mistake he makes serves for a confirmation bias. Most of the NHL prospects that are his size move like he did last year (without knee rehab) and some of them end up making quality NHLers...at his size...he's ahead of the mobility curve.

Not many NHL players at 6'5-6'6 250 and that's where Cowen's heading...and the guys who are that big probably couldn't keep up with the World Juniors when they were 19.

His biggest issue is puck handling...sometimes it looks pretty good for a guy his size...but he is apt to making fumbling mistakes and letting pucks fall off his stick. Hopefully him and Karlsson will rub off on each other.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
When your 6'5 235 at 19 your given leeway on speed. He was slow last year....this year his speed is adequate, at worst. It's less his speed and more so his foot work...but when you have the physical tools he has your given time to develop and work on those things over years.

Cowen suffers from a poor first impression and now any mistake he makes serves for a confirmation bias. Most of the NHL prospects that are his size move like he did last year (without knee rehab) and some of them end up making quality NHLers...at his size...he's ahead of the mobility curve.

Not many NHL players at 6'5-6'6 250 and that's where Cowen's heading...and the guys who are that big probably couldn't keep up with the World Juniors when they were 19.

His biggest issue is puck handling...sometimes it looks pretty good for a guy his size...but he is apt to making fumbling mistakes and letting pucks fall off his stick. Hopefully him and Karlsson will rub off on each other.

I think kids as large as Cowen can look slow, but he is quite fast. I do think he needs to improve on his quickness, but remember he is playing against the fastest kids the world has to offer and has been extremely effective.

He makes excellent reads, very good outlet passes, but like most big players at this age, struggles with the puck at his feet.

As he matures, his overall coordination will improve and he should have a great NHL career.

I think his play definitely has him ranked in the top four for Canada, and more importantly it seems so does Team Canada's coach.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Cowen and Gudbranson have been better with every game. I think that's a big reason why things look so smooth in the defensive zone. Those would be my two picks for Canada's best D-men.

HM to Depres and Ellis.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Overall:
1. Ellis
2. Gudbranson
3. Cowen
4. Barrie
5. Despres
6. De Haan
7. Olsen

Offensively:
1. Ellis
2. Barrie
3. Gudbranson
4. De Haan
5. Despres
6. Cowen
7. Olsen

Defensively:
1. Cowen
2. Gudbranson
3. Ellis
4. Despres
5. Barrie
6. Olsen
7. De Haan

AugustBurnsRed*

I change mine..
Ellis
Gudbranson
Despres/Barrie
Dehaan
Cowen
Olsen

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't know the statistics, but in the last 2 games, Olsen seemed to be out there a lot more than say, Dehaan or Despres. He had a really rough start to the tournament but has been a stud defensively for the last 2 games.

Imho,

Tyson Barrie
Erik Gudbranson
Ryan Ellis
Jared Cowen
Dylan Olsen
Simon Despres
Calvin DeHaan

Those are my honest opinions based on the last 2 games, overall, Despres would probably pass Olsen on this list.

AugustBurnsRed*

I don't know the statistics, but in the last 2 games, Olsen seemed to be out there a lot more than say, Dehaan or Despres. He had a really rough start to the tournament but has been a stud defensively for the last 2 games.

Imho,

Tyson Barrie
Erik Gudbranson
Ryan Ellis
Jared Cowen
Dylan Olsen
Simon Despres
Calvin DeHaan

Those are my honest opinions based on the last 2 games, overall, Despres would probably pass Olsen on this list.

so has Despres though, even more so than Olsen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad