Rank the Canadian Defensemen:

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I don't think Cowen has been on the ice for a 5 on 5 goal against since the first game. I could be wrong, but I think this is the case.

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
No one happy with Olsen, why does he continue to be in the top pairing ?

Tonight will be a big test for the D, I want to see Cowen step it up physichally use that size to do more then just lean on guys.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
IMO Ellis is the most overrated player in the WJC. He has quite a few second assists and his defensive play is terrible.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
IMO Ellis is the most overrated player in the WJC. He has quite a few second assists and his defensive play is terrible.

I actually agree, I think Gudbranson is the better overall, has one more goal and way better defensively, he is also a year younger.

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Based on their play so far... Assuming all are healthy:

Overall:
1. Ellis
2. Cowen
3. Gudbranson
4. Barrie
5. Depres
6. De Haan
7. Olsen

Offensively:
1. Ellis
2. Barrie
3. Gudbranson
4. De Haan
5. Depres
6. Cowen
7. Olsen

Defensively:
1. Cowen
2. Gudbranson
3. Ellis
4. Barrie
5. De Haan
6. Olsen
7. Depres

Compared to Expectations:
Above: Ellis, Cowen, Gudbranson
At: Depres, Barrie
Below: Olsen, De Haan

-=-=-

How would you rank them?

Im kind of confused by your rankings......You rank DeHaan ahead of Depres in both Off and Def, yet he is behind him in the overall?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I can honestly say none of them has impressed me the way guys like Marc Staal or Drew Doughty did in their tournaments.

Ellis? Nahh, I don't think so. He makes far too many bad decisions and small mistakes (fanning on the puck, etc.).

The only guys who haven't scared me are Barrie and maybe Despres. The rest have all had moments where you wonder how on earth they made it to this level.

Olsen...horrible. See you in the beer leagues in a couple years, kid.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
cowen folks. Starting to get as annoying as mike fischer and chris neal.

You can't even be bothered to hold the shift key down for a fraction of a second to capitalize names and you're annoyed by a minor misspelling?

Ellis
Gudbranson
Cowen
Barrie
de Haan
Despres
Olsen

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I can honestly say none of them has impressed me the way guys like Marc Staal or Drew Doughty did in their tournaments.

Ellis? Nahh, I don't think so. He makes far too many bad decisions and small mistakes (fanning on the puck, etc.).

The only guys who haven't scared me are Barrie and maybe Despres. The rest have all had moments where you wonder how on earth they made it to this level.

Olsen...horrible. See you in the beer leagues in a couple years, kid.

Wait, so you haven't been scared by Barrie and/or Despress but you wonder how everyone else made it? :huh: Am I missing something you could clear up?

Olsen 4th? I'm speechless. I am without speech.

That's quite a bit of speech. :P

Gervess

@Gervess
Jan 3, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
Overall:
1. Ellis
2. Gudbranson
3. Cowen
4. Barrie
5. De Haan
6. Despres
7. Olsen

Offensively:
1. Ellis
2. Gudbranson
3. Barrie
4. De Haan
5. Cowen
6. Despres
7. Olsen

Defensively:
1. Cowen
2. Gudbranson
3. Ellis
4. Despres
5. Barrie
6. De Haan
7. Olsen

Compared to Expectations:

Above: Cowen, Gudbranson
At: Ellis, Despres, Barrie, De Haan
Below: Olsen (very below)

Notes: Ellis is at the expectation for me because we expect a good tournament and that's what he show but he wasn't the biggest factor, but I would say defensively he is over my expectations(he play better than last years and makes less mistakes).

If De Haan would not have been injured at the beginning of the tournaments he would be better, I'm shure that he is not 100%.

Gudbranson is our second best D-men in this tournament I tought he would make a less impact than Barrie and Cowen. I tought he would be a good D-men but not our second best.

Defensive Forward

Aug 5, 2010
Ontario
1. Ellis
2. Gudbranson
3. de Haan
4. Cowen
5. Barrie
6. Despres
7. Olsen

Before anyone questions de Haan at 3, I must say that I have been really impressed with his shot selection. Some defensemen just pass back and forth for a one timer which is really predictable and fairly easy to save if the goalie can see it. De Haan goes against the grain with his wrist shots from the point which seem to catch the goaltenders of guard.

I know he hasn't had a lot of playing time, but Barrie hasn't impressed me either. The way WHL fans went on about him, I thought he would have moved up from the 7th D-man, but his pinches have been dangerous and there is no need to play him with Ellis playing the role of undersized defenseman. He has been better than Despres and (shudder) Olsen though.

AugustBurnsRed*

There is no way Despres has been the worst Canadian defenseman defensively.

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
DeHaan -assistant captain?

Does anyone know why DeHaan hasn't been wearing an "A" the last couple of games?

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
Not sure but have they been wearing Red for all of those games? Has Dehaan had an A on the red jerseys?

I haven't seen all of the games...but I thought I saw him wearing one against the Russians and I think they wore red that night...I could be mistaken....

Pyke*

Im kind of confused by your rankings......You rank DeHaan ahead of Depres in both Off and Def, yet he is behind him in the overall?

I think Depres has been more mobile and positionally solid than de Haan, which admittedly is influenced by the injury situation.

I did the overall ranking first, then the other two just for discussion's sake. I think de Haan - healthy - is the better defender, but he hasn't played better so far, even if I am assuming that at the time I'm ranking he is in fact healthy.

The Kremelin Wall*

Gudbranson has been most noticeable to me. Probably because I follow him whenever he's on the ice but still.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
After the Sweden game I said I didn't feel comfortable with a single Canadian defensemen on the ice. In years past we had the Hamonic's, Scandella's, Parent's, Staal's, Myers', etc that could shutdown the opponents top guys in key situations. I think Erik Gudbranson's been incredible in the two elimination games Canada's played. He's elevated his game tremendously from the evaluation camp where he was supposedly very suspect. He's a crisp passer, physical, makes sound decisions and has been Canada's best player in my opinion in the medal round so far. He needs to see more ice time if you ask me. You can tell why the Panthers took him third overall and he's really coming into his own now to the point where I'd call him Canada's most dependable defensemen by a mile.

1. Gudbranson
2. Ellis - a beast offensively and moving the puck and he's been better than I had anticipated defensively as well.

3. Despres - solid for the most part, not much offense but not many glaring errors either which is key.
4. Barrie - great instincts and a good surprise for a guy expected to be the 7th defensemen coming in.
5. Cowen - I'm going to get flamed by the hoard of Sens fans here by I just don't see what makes this guy special. He's not overly mobile, not great defensively and not the strongest guy in the world either. I don't see bigtime NHL upside and he's been far from great in this tournament. I have nothing against Cowen or the Sens but he's been pretty underwhelming in my eyes.
6. de Haan - I know he's fighting an injury but he's been very poor for Canada as well. He's soft on the puck, turns it over on the regular and just doesn't have the offensive output to offset these weaknesses.

7. Olsen - In his defense he's gotten better as the tournament's gone on though there's really nowhere for him to go but up. He has been good in the medal round but not top pairing good. Gudbranson and Ellis should see the biggest minutes in the Gold Medal Game imo.

Pyke*

After the Sweden game I said I didn't feel comfortable with a single Canadian defensemen on the ice. In years past we had the Hamonic's, Scandella's, Parent's, Staal's, Myers', etc that could shutdown the opponents top guys in key situations. I think Erik Gudbranson's been incredible in the two elimination games Canada's played. He's elevated his game tremendously from the evaluation camp where he was supposedly very suspect. He's a crisp passer, physical, makes sound decisions and has been Canada's best player in my opinion in the medal round so far. He needs to see more ice time if you ask me. You can tell why the Panthers took him third overall and he's really coming into his own now to the point where I'd call him Canada's most dependable defensemen by a mile.

1. Gudbranson
2. Ellis - a beast offensively and moving the puck and he's been better than I had anticipated defensively as well.

3. Despres - solid for the most part, not much offense but not many glaring errors either which is key.
4. Barrie - great instincts and a good surprise for a guy expected to be the 7th defensemen coming in.
5. Cowen - I'm going to get flamed by the hoard of Sens fans here by I just don't see what makes this guy special. He's not overly mobile, not great defensively and not the strongest guy in the world either. I don't see bigtime NHL upside and he's been far from great in this tournament. I have nothing against Cowen or the Sens but he's been pretty underwhelming in my eyes.
6. de Haan - I know he's fighting an injury but he's been very poor for Canada as well. He's soft on the puck, turns it over on the regular and just doesn't have the offensive output to offset these weaknesses.

7. Olsen - In his defense he's gotten better as the tournament's gone on though there's really nowhere for him to go but up. He has been good in the medal round but not top pairing good. Gudbranson and Ellis should see the biggest minutes in the Gold Medal Game imo.

Cowen is strong enough to lean on people. He's mobile enough to get back into the play when he makes a bad pinch. He lost basically a year and a half of development from his knee injury. I have full confidence he'll be a beast in a couple years - and he already is strong enough to play in the NHL.

As to why the Sens like him: He's an excellent fit with our golden boy, Erik Karlsson. He has enough skill/puck handling to perhaps give us a Keith-Seabrook type top pairing as early as next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad