Rank the Canadian Defensemen:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Cowan is solid defensively but he handled the puck very poorly a number of times yesterday. To give but one example, he had a clear lane to skate the puck out of his zone and, for some reason, shovelled the puck sideways into the feet of a US forward tangled up with a Canadian player. No harm resulted but it was the kind of thing he did from time to time. Still, I would be glad to have him as a Leafs prospect!

Gudbransen is definitely growing on me as a player. I can see why he was such a high draft pick. My Leafs could have considered him with their second overall pick last year ... or wait, Burke traded that pick away, didn't he:(

Ellis is a very effective powerplay quarterback but I still wonder about his size. Same with Barrie.

Depres looks promising and you can't coach size. I like him. DeHaan? Hmmm. He does everything reasonably well and is definitely mobile. But does he have the one outstanding ability that will make him a top four NHL defender. But he is playing well at this level.

I like Olsen better than a lot of folks in this thread. I think he is very near to being a sure thing as a defensive Dman in the NHL. I would take him before a couple of these other defenders if I were an NHL scout.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Ellis
Gudbranson
Barrie / Despres
Cowen
DeHaan
Olsen

Gudbranson started off a little rough, but has been great lately. I feel very comfortable with him and Despres on the ice in every situation. Barrie had a very good game against the US.

Neither Cowen or De Haan have impressed me at all.

I like this one the best I think, I'd put Cowen with Barrie and Despres though.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Not to impressed with DeHaan. At least while he was on the PP. Schenn fed him some nice passes that he couldn't put on net. Nitpicking I know.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Cowan is solid defensively but he handled the puck very poorly a number of times yesterday. To give but one example, he had a clear lane to skate the puck out of his zone and, for some reason, shovelled the puck sideways into the feet of a US forward tangled up with a Canadian player. No harm resulted but it was the kind of thing he did from time to time. Still, I would be glad to have him as a Leafs prospect!

Gudbransen is definitely growing on me as a player. I can see why he was such a high draft pick. My Leafs could have considered him with their second overall pick last year ... or wait, Burke traded that pick away, didn't he:(

Ellis is a very effective powerplay quarterback but I still wonder about his size. Same with Barrie.

Depres looks promising and you can't coach size. I like him. DeHaan? Hmmm. He does everything reasonably well and is definitely mobile. But does he have the one outstanding ability that will make him a top four NHL defender. But he is playing well at this level.

I like Olsen better than a lot of folks in this thread. I think he is very near to being a sure thing as a defensive Dman in the NHL. I would take him before a couple of these other defenders if I were an NHL scout.

NHL readiness and WJC performances are different. Guys like RNH, and Ryan Murphy will probably be better NHLers than guys like Ashton and Despres. But right now, the latter two are better suited to play in the WJC

Olsen should easily become an NHLer. The point is that he has been outplayed both offensively and defensively by virtually every Canadian defender in this tourney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->