Rank the 'Big 5' European Leagues

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Champions League and Europa League that's where club teams play against other clubs teams from all over Europe. That's where we can judge. France cant win in the Champions League and are not good enough to even win in Europa. They are not an elite league.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Champions League and Europa League that's where club teams play against other clubs teams from all over Europe. That's where we can judge. France cant win in the Champions League and are not good enough to even win in Europa. They are not an elite league.
No, you can't judge on EL when teams put their backups.

So yeah, you have zero argument.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
France Ligue 1 is probably at #10 historically in European Leagues. This millenium they have won NOTHING.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So in the last 26 years, Portugal has one CL final, Holland has 2, France has 3, but you continue to compare L1 defavourably with them.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
This millenium Russia has 2 trophies Portugal 2 Ukraine 1 Turkey 1 Holland 1 France 0. Now do you want me to count for you the number of trophies for the real elite leagues?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
2oo4 you said yourself Porto had an easy draw. I agree they played 2 french teams!
I never said Porto had an easy draw.
So you're suggesting Monaco had an easy draw? Beating two favourites in Real and Chelsea along the way?

Man, you can't even post a logical argument.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
This Millenium Spain Italy England Germany Russia Portugal Ukraine Holland Turkey have won trophies. That means France are no better than 10.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
La Liga
EPL
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1

I'm down on the BL lately, completely one sided title races and this season especially their performances in Europe have been a disaster. While you can argue that the teams in Europe this season are "non-traditional" ones...they have still lost to teams like Domzale, Crvena Zvezda, Ludogorets, Braga, Ostersunds, Zorya while Dortmund couldn't beat APOEL in two games. My one big issue with Serie A is they made a mistake expanding to 20 clubs some 10-15 years back, they need to go back to 18. Too many seasons they have 1-2 clubs totally cut adrift

For 6th its between Russia/Portugal, can't comment too much as I don't watch these leagues. Portugal is very top heavy with only Braga doing anything in Europe outside the "big three" and their lower table clubs are all small and have little budgets, basically wouldn't be out of place in your standard EE league. Russia seems to have a more competitive top half (CSKA, Zenit, Loko, Spartak and throw in Rubin, Krasnodar, Rostov in the last few years having decent results in Europe). Turkey is a league which probably should be doing much better, they have some financial resources (the top clubs) but lack long term vision like a Porto/Benfica type. Galatasaray for me is the best example of this, in the early 2010s they were strong in Europe, good squad, kept Terim for multiple seasons and could have broken through as a strong club outside the traditional top 5 leagues, but then they went back to the typical Turk formula of sacking Terim for stupid reasons and then hiring the likes of Mancini, Prandelli which was impressive on paper but they accomplished nothing.

Russia has more clubs with money, but Portugal has a much healthier youth system and their clubs are better at integrating young talents at the senior level...where a lot of russian prospects stagnate. The russian midtable teams are thus stronger than their Portuguese competitors, but there's a lot of poor football that gets played in the RPL...and not just because of the condition some of those pitches are in come the latter fall months or early spring.

So until the Russian top clubs out do the portuguese big 3 in europe consistently, I have a tough time ranking the RPL in 6th on their own.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

The disparate focus levels of different clubs in the EL makes it impossible to use it the way you are trying to...even though two-legged contests can be misleading enough already. Compare the way Napoli and ManU treated the EL last season. Napoli rolled out depth players in the knockouts to try and compete with Juve in the league while United were f***ed in the league and so threw all of their weight into the EL. That makes it impossible to say that United was better than Napoli based on their EL results.

And without the EL results your argument losses a lot of its bite.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Lol I had to check the table and it was actually 25 points clear of the #2 team. Pep's an animal. I'll be rooting for him to pull something like that with City this season.
Edit: just realized that they won the league with 25pts ahead of 2rd place team with Jupp Heynckes and not Pep as manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deficient Mode

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad