Rank the 'Big 5' European Leagues

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Every year with this stuff. What do you people do all day? If you've got this much time on your hands I'd expect the PL centric nonsense would come to an end.

This is the correct order. The only debate is between EPL and Liga. EPL have more parity and just better mid and lower table clubs overall.

PL doesn't have more parity apart from finances assuming they do even there. Just look at the respective league tables right now and tell me there is more parity. There isn't. PL also very clearly doesn't have better mid and lower table sides and it's been this way for some time.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Bottom 10 teams in L1 as of now :
Strasbourg (promoted side, just beat PSG a few weeks back, and they're actually trying to play football).
Caen (also traditionally attacking team, but have struggled to score this year)
Amiens (promoted side, physical and solid defensively)
Troyes (also a team trying to play attacking football)
Bordeaux (struggling everywhere and would in relegation zone without Malcom)
St Etienne (good side on paper, struggling to score)
Toulouse (also a solid side on paper)
Lille (multiple talents, team can't get them to play together, inexperience showing)
Angers (a strong defensive side usually)
Metz (really bad offensively)

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
La Liga
EPL
Bundesliga
Serie A
Ligue 1

It seems that the top sides in Serie A seem to be on a resurgence, which is why I gave them the edge over Ligue 1.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Anyway, ranking PL above La Liga is laughable.

Wouldn't it depend on what you're ranking it on? Most people I think are doing it based on this season and moving forward.

Atletico dropped out of the CL in a group where they finished behind Chelsea. Spurs flat out beat RM in their group as well. Liverpool finished ahead of Sevilla (2 pts behind RM in La Liga). Only Barcelona in that league has really held up to their reputation. City has been completely dominant, United has been pretty strong, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs have all looked strong. Even if you look at Arsenal down to Watford the top 10 of the PL has been pretty competitive this season and with essentially infinite money, and more importantly, the injection of world class coaching the PL is poised to get even stronger moving forward.

I non-PL fans are going to be very resistant to it because they've hated the way the league has been characterized for years but you'll find less grief in accepting that it's likely to be the 'top league' again sooner than later.

555Upstairs

Unregistered User
Aug 13, 2016
Linz, Austria
Wouldn't it depend on what you're ranking it on? Most people I think are doing it based on this season and moving forward.

Atletico dropped out of the CL in a group where they finished behind Chelsea. Spurs flat out beat RM in their group as well. Liverpool finished ahead of Sevilla (2 pts behind RM in La Liga). Only Barcelona in that league has really held up to their reputation. City has been completely dominant, United has been pretty strong, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs have all looked strong. Even if you look at Arsenal down to Watford the top 10 of the PL has been pretty competitive this season and with essentially infinite money, and more importantly, the injection of world class coaching the PL is poised to get even stronger moving forward.

I non-PL fans are going to be very resistant to it because they've hated the way the league has been characterized for years but you'll find less grief in accepting that it's likely to be the 'top league' again sooner than later.

Yes, Chelsea and especially Tottenham advanced from tough groups, so credit where credit's due. The other three though had some really easy draws and IMO only City have a realistic shot at winning the CL (and I'd still have three or four teams ahead of them).

Also, I remember people telling me how English teams were gonna dominate Europe for years to come back in 08/09 or how the golden age of the BL had arrived in 2013, now look how that played out. Half a season is hardly a good basis for predictions.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also, I remember people telling me how English teams were gonna dominate Europe for years to come back in 08/09 or how the golden age of the BL had arrived in 2013, now look how that played out. Half a season is hardly a good basis for predictions.

I agree completely, but that's why it's important to look at the trends. Before England was still stuck with (mostly) poor coaches, and were not progressive at all. They were just throwing around money and not really building cohesion or adapting to the European tactical landscape (not to mention they had and still have the toughest schedule going as far as games are concerned). I think the teams have become a lot more progressive, they've started addressing the coaching issues and while people think the money they're throwing around right now is ridiculous, for the most part it's for the right kinds of players. I think a lot of the focus has shifted in the PL in general; that doesn't mean they'll win the CL every season but only one team can...I don't think that necessarily speaks to which league is the strongest.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Trends?
Like last year? Or the year before?
Weren't Guardiola, Klopp and others already in place?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Oh epl fans, you so humble. You get on par with the BuLi for a few a months after years of BuLi superiority and look at how quickly you’re talking about being the “top league”.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't understand what it has to do with humility. I don't actually care which league is best; I just care that Liverpool is successful.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Too much focus on recent form here without context. Take Madrid for example, and I say this wondering where the dipstick Madridistas here are. Madrid while overrated on this forum just some months ago as better than they actually were (they should have never won the league for instance and as has been noted rode their "luck" amongst other things for a while) are now somehow being underrated. Well look up and down that squad and two things should come to your mind. First the talent they have that can still "bring it" if you will. Second, the importance of a top tier manager. At the moment their position in all competitions looks somewhat precarious, but count them out at your peril. One result against Spurs and Zidane's management shouldn't relegate them to somehow lesser than the PL's top ten sides.

Guardiola and City are another example. City are a fine side with what looks like some good depth in some positions, but they're squad really looks wanting compared to the likes of PSG, Barça, Madrid and Bayern. Guardiola gets laughably slated as a big spender on here while his achievement are chalked up to splashing the cash, but in reality that's clearly not the case and if you look at City's spending the last two Summers they're only really brought in 4-5 players who are going to make an impact. On top of that they'll need to continue to spend going forward to address a couple of key positions in the coming seasons.

So while recent results seem to be dictating the crowd favoring the PL at the moment, there's still a long way to go. And you can cite the money PL sides have, but despite they've yet to show any actual meaningful result demonstrating any sort of difference it's made.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I also don't understand how City's squad looks wanting compared to any other top team. They're stacked.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I also don't understand how City's squad looks wanting compared to any other top team. They're stacked.

I think they’re weak on the defensive side of the ball, both at central defender and in midfield. That’s not a big issue in the PL since their offense is good enough that their defense is never under steady pressure, but against PSG, RM, Barca, etc I think they’ll have trouble staying defensively sound.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Until Mendy is back, City's D is basically the one that got killed by Monaco last season.
Indeed, they have improvements to make there.
However, Guardiola hasn't often spent on (proven) defense in his career.

Reactions: Peen

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
City's back four remains its weakness vis-a-vis the superclubs. Guardiola has them looking much better in the league than they have the past few years, and their offensive dominance means that their defense is rarely tested, but it remains their weak point. A strong offensive side taking the game to them could cause them problems.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Stones is a completely different player, they added Walker and Danilo and sometimes Kompany is around. They've also added Ederson, and Delph has taken really well to the leftback role. I think they need a deputy to Fernandinho and they'll probably buy another defender in the winter window, but they're not really the same and Napoli certainly tried to take the game to them and it's not like they crumbled.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's still zero CB quality added there. You can say Stones is better, but maybe that's because he hasn't been put under pressure.

But again, Pep isn't one to spend on CB. He put one of the best pure 6 in the game there for years.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah but Walker, Danilo, Delph and Ederson all make a big impact on the defence. I mean, their fullbacks were Clichy, Kolarov, Sagna and Zabaleta last season lol, and their keeper looked out of sorts completely.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
He's the second highest spender in football history behind you know who.

Guardiola gets called a big spender becuase he is a big spender. That doesn’t mean he’s not a good manager, but it’s laughable to deny that he spends big.

Pretty much. To deny it is... weird.

I'm not denying he spends big and never have. I was commenting on his being slated for it when A) the signings very clearly aren't all his and B) his success isn't down to such spending as some would say.

They're really not compared to some of the elite teams.

GK: Ederson looking good so far and should be good for them for some time. Bravo probably a good backup at this stage.

Defense: They definitely upgraded at the backs, but CB for me is still lacking.

Midfield: They could improve at DM and will have to look at CM soon enough to replace Silva. Even so Silva has always been a tier down where this board rates him. De Bruyne of course is gold and while he seemed expensive at the time he'll likely be City's best signing for some time.

Attack: Aguero is getting up there but still has it for now. Jesus was an excellent signing and he really should be playing more. Sane, Sterling and Silva provide great depth, but for me the jury is still out as to whether or not they're guys you'll want to rely on as starters at the top level.

On top of all that some of City's key players are ageing. Kompany, Silva and Aguero will all need to be replaced soon enough.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
La Liga easily first.

Epl way further at 2nd.

Then Italy Germany France Russia Portugal and sadly Holland further back.

France is particular because some teams had good runs but they never win...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes Sane is a guy you want to rely on as a starter. That's why he should start for the NT and why Bayern are still kicking themselves for letting him slip through their fingers. And Bernardo & Sterling aren't far behind Leroy.

Come on now LH, criticize their back line and 6, sure; but don't be silly when it comes to their attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00