Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Here's my order (considering each league as a whole):

1. La Liga
2. English Premier League
3. Bundesliga
4. Serie A
5. Ligue 1

Edit: Decided to swap EPL and the BuLi on second thought.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This season and moving forward:

1 - EPL
2 - La Liga
3 - Serie A
4 - Bundesliga
5 - Ligue 1

Though I could see the BuLi overtaking Serie A if they get their **** together.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This season, the past 3-5 seasons, or moving forward?

WTF how do 3 of you have the EPL ahead of La Liga?

I guess it depends on whether you favor a top heavy league or a league with more overall ability.

Obviously Barcelona and RM are great but how much are they ahead of Man City or Chelsea right now?

I would take Tottenham, United, Liverpool, Arsenal over La Liga's 2nd tier of teams easily as well.

I honestly don't think it is that tough of a decision but I also don't think much of Valencia, Sevilla or Villareal and see AM as starting to decline as well.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
This season, the past 3-5 seasons, or moving forward?

To keep it simple I only considered this season (i.e the first half which has already happened but also some consideration to the reminder of the season since some teams have played better/worse then they are the last 4 months). To consider previous seasons would have required accounting for teams that have since been relegated which is tricky.

WTF how do 3 of you have the EPL ahead of La Liga?

I'm also quite surprised. IMO La Liga have both the best no. 1 (in their league) and no. 2 teams in the world, as well as the best teams 7-20 compared to all other leagues.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Real Madrid just lost a CL group to Spurs, and have been far from convincing this season. They lost a CL group to Tottenham. Let that sink in.

Reactions: All Might

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Some more reasoning behind my rankings since they seem to differ from most on here. In an effort to be objective I split the teams in each league into 3 tiers based on their current positions in the league and then ranked the leagues based on the teams in each tier, thus coming up with 3 rankings as shown below before combining them into the final ranking shown in my previous post.

'Big 5' Leagues ranked based on top-tier teams (i.e. No. 1-6 teams)

1. EPL
2. La Liga
3. Serie A
4. BuLi
5. Ligue 1

'Big 5' Leagues ranked based on mid-tier teams (i.e. No. 7-13 teams)

1. La Liga
2-3. BuLi*, Serie A (I think they are too close to call)
4. EPL,
5. Ligue 1

'Big 5' Leagues ranked based on bottom-tier teams (i.e. No. 14-20 teams)

1. La Liga
2-3. EPL, BuLi* (I think they are too close to call)
4. Ligue 1
5. Serie A

* For the Bundesliga I took teams 7-12 as the mid-tier teams and teams 13-18 as the bottom-tier teams instead.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lower table french teams are better than Serie A's. Easily.
Serie A is really 2-3 good teams, 2-3 average and crap.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Lower table french teams are better than Serie A's. Easily.

Did you mean Metz is better than Benevento?

Both leagues bottom teams are crap. They should have sticked with 18 teams.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Did you mean Metz is better than Benevento?

Both leagues bottom teams are crap. They should have sticked with 18 teams.

Ironically in germany there is a growing push to expand to 20 teams with the rise of Leipzig and the new money clubs pushing more historic clubs into the second division, which has caused some of them to spiral (see 1860, Munich); while the second division has risen in quality at a faster rate than the first division over the past ~3-4 years.

And tbh my biggest hesitation is that I'd hate to see my eiserne slip into the first division like that. If we could earn it first, then I'd probably be in favor of the expansion in a few more years...as the new tv deal filters larger sums of money down the pipeline.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Lower table french teams are better than Serie A's.

On second examination I have to agree with this. A few half-decent Ligue 1 teams are languishing this season.

Completely disagree with this though. The Serie A teams in the 7-13 range are pretty decent compared to the others in the big 5.

How would you rank the 5 leagues?

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Any list that doesn't have la liga on the top should be thrown in the garbage... why we'll just look at the champion league the past 10 years.

Half a season changes nothing. EPL can over take La liga but the likes of Manu/Liverpool/Chelsea have to improve immensely. Also city must win in Europe.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Even on this season alone I think it's a tough case to make purely on quality & league play. The BuLi had a few naive teams in europe this year and a few bad teams that snuck in thanks to the poor campaigns from more experienced teams last season, which has spoiled the leagues results in europe this go around. But Bayern are the strongest team in either league; and the clutch of Hoffenheim, Leipzig, Gladbach, Schalke, Dortmund, Leverkusen match up well with their italian counterparts. Outside of Koln's historically impotent campaign the BuLi's bottom tier is stronger than Serie A. So is it the midtable teams where Serie A have such a decisive advantage?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Even on this season alone I think it's a tough case to make purely on quality & league play. The BuLi had a few naive teams in europe this year and a few bad teams that snuck in thanks to the poor campaigns from more experienced teams last season, which has spoiled the leagues results in europe this go around. But Bayern are the strongest team in either league; and the clutch of Hoffenheim, Leipzig, Gladbach, Schalke, Dortmund, Leverkusen match up well with their italian counterparts. Outside of Koln's historically impotent campaign the BuLi's bottom tier is stronger than Serie A. So is it the midtable teams where Serie A have such a decisive advantage?

Serie A is way more entertaining. It's also significantly slower and purely from a winning standpoint not superior football from top to bottom.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I see the recency bias comparing the Bundesliga and Serie A is pretty extreme

It definitely is, and I only based it on this season alone. And I really could be convinced either way on the 3/4 spots.

Dortmund and Rb struggling (based on their standards) and what looks like an easy Bayern title vs what looks to be an interesting 3/4 team race in Serie A thus far swayed me. The poor showing in europe for the Bundesliga didn’t help.

I’ve found Serie A, specifically Roma and Napoli to be so much fun to watch this season so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00