Rank the 'Big 5' European Leagues

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm not denying he spends big and never have. I was commenting on his being slated for it when A) the signings very clearly aren't all his and B) his success isn't down to such spending as some would say.

They're really not compared to some of the elite teams.

GK: Ederson looking good so far and should be good for them for some time. Bravo probably a good backup at this stage.

Defense: They definitely upgraded at the backs, but CB for me is still lacking.

Midfield: They could improve at DM and will have to look at CM soon enough to replace Silva. Even so Silva has always been a tier down where this board rates him. De Bruyne of course is gold and while he seemed expensive at the time he'll likely be City's best signing for some time.

Attack: Aguero is getting up there but still has it for now. Jesus was an excellent signing and he really should be playing more. Sane, Sterling and Silva provide great depth, but for me the jury is still out as to whether or not they're guys you'll want to rely on as starters at the top level.

On top of all that some of City's key players are ageing. Kompany, Silva and Aguero will all need to be replaced soon enough.

Since Pep became Barca’s 1st team manager in 2008, he’s spent more than Jose. In fact he’s the highest spending manager if you look at it per season.

I don’t understand the need to caveat and defend everything he does. He spends, he’s a great manager. He can be a dickhead at times too. He makes dumb excuses and wines. So do/did Conte, Klopp, Jose, Fergie, Wenger, et all. But for some reason it’s always explained away for Pep. It’s so odd.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Since Pep became Barca’s 1st team manager in 2008, he’s spent more than Jose. In fact he’s the highest spending manager if you look at it per season.

I don’t understand the need to caveat and defend everything he does. He spends, he’s a great manager. He can be a ******** at times too. He makes dumb excuses and wines. So do/did Conte, Klopp, Jose, Fergie, Wenger, et all. But for some reason it’s always explained away for Pep. It’s so odd.

Like I said, I never said he didn't spend.

I've criticized him before and have for years. Rather insulting putting those other managers in the same line as Mourinho.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Funny thing about Man City spending on CBs/FBs. 5 of the 10 most expensive transfers of defenders in football history (totalling close to $300 million) have gone to Citeh.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think it's pretty clear that City are lethal upfront... don't think that's the argument from LH. However, they have yet to prove themselves on the big stage I.e champions league. I don't doubt they can win the CL but they need to prove it still. They're my favourite to win as of now.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Any list that doesn't have la liga on the top should be thrown in the garbage... why we'll just look at the champion league the past 10 years.

On the contrary. When clubs from La Liga thrive in the Champions League the cause is always either luck, or help from bad refereeing, or both.

During the entire history of football, only English teams have ever won anything because of merit. It is for this reason that the correct ranking of the high-profile leagues should read as follows:

1) EPL

2-5) Who cares? Foreign muck, the lot of 'em.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
On the contrary. When clubs from La Liga thrive in the Champions League the cause is always either luck, or help from bad refereeing, or both.

During the entire history of football, only English teams have ever won anything because of merit. It is for this reason that the correct ranking of the high-profile leagues should read as follows:

1) EPL

2-5) Who cares? Foreign muck, the lot of 'em.

Small correction.

1) EPL

2) Championship

3-6) the rest

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
So who is number 6? Portugual's Primeira Liga?

Serie A is creating a new excitement. Juve's run could come to an end this year with Napoli challenging them. Inter are making a comeback. They've been shit since their treble 7 years ago. The two Roman clubs are no slouch. This league just needs Milan to get their shit together and be their old selves. The current table has 1st place and 5th place only 12 points apart as we speak. I like it. I just wish I had a club that I fully supported, lol. I do have a soft spot for Juve, though.

It's just hard to get into Bundesliga with Bayern just bullying everyone.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Bundesliga and Ligue 1 are a joke at the moment. Russian league is much more interesting.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
La Liga
EPL
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1

I'm down on the BL lately, completely one sided title races and this season especially their performances in Europe have been a disaster. While you can argue that the teams in Europe this season are "non-traditional" ones...they have still lost to teams like Domzale, Crvena Zvezda, Ludogorets, Braga, Ostersunds, Zorya while Dortmund couldn't beat APOEL in two games. My one big issue with Serie A is they made a mistake expanding to 20 clubs some 10-15 years back, they need to go back to 18. Too many seasons they have 1-2 clubs totally cut adrift

For 6th its between Russia/Portugal, can't comment too much as I don't watch these leagues. Portugal is very top heavy with only Braga doing anything in Europe outside the "big three" and their lower table clubs are all small and have little budgets, basically wouldn't be out of place in your standard EE league. Russia seems to have a more competitive top half (CSKA, Zenit, Loko, Spartak and throw in Rubin, Krasnodar, Rostov in the last few years having decent results in Europe). Turkey is a league which probably should be doing much better, they have some financial resources (the top clubs) but lack long term vision like a Porto/Benfica type. Galatasaray for me is the best example of this, in the early 2010s they were strong in Europe, good squad, kept Terim for multiple seasons and could have broken through as a strong club outside the traditional top 5 leagues, but then they went back to the typical Turk formula of sacking Terim for stupid reasons and then hiring the likes of Mancini, Prandelli which was impressive on paper but they accomplished nothing.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Ligue 1 has never been a top league in Europe. Only 2 trophies in history that's all compare to 11 for Holland...

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Since the last trophy for PSG in 1995, Russia has 2 Portugal 2 and Ukraine 1 Turkey 1...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ligue 1 has never been a top league in Europe. Only 2 trophies in history that's all compare to 11 for Holland...
And L1 produces the most talent out of any european country. So for the slowest posters here : guys leave before being established.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
That we know. And unlike Eredivisie teams, those players didn't win anything before moving abroad.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And Eredivisie has won nothing since players leave from Holland.
When was the last time a dutch team reached a CL semi final?

Get a decent argument, and then come back.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Feyenoord won UEFA Cup 2002 beating Bundesliga Champions Borussia Dortmund and Inter Milan. Ajax won in 1995 Champions League. Has made a final last year. Ligue 1 just can't deliver in Europe. Ukraine has 3 European trophies to France 2 in history, think about that.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure, go back to 95 and before. It helps your argument tremendously.
A french team has reached a CL final more recently than a dutch team.
A french team has reached a CL semi final more recently than a dutch team.

If Monaco had kept its players, they would probably be among the CL favourites. But that's L1. They've sold 5 key players.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Feyenoord 2002 Champions. Zenit 2008 Champions. Porto 2003 Champions. Porto 2004 Champions. CSKA 2005 Champions. Shakhtar 2009 Champions. Galatasaray 2000 Champions. All this this millenium while France has won NOTHING. How can anyone consider Ligue 1 a top ligue. It's a boring league and without any suspense + can't win in Europe then or now.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Are you seriously taking about the EL? Nobody but maybe Lyon cares about EL here.
So you're down to Porto. Period. Porto which had a great team, had a cinderella run and who had all the breaks throughout their campaign. Destiny team.

Yes Porto beat Monaco in the CL final. Monaco who had beaten Real and Chelsea along the way.

I'd say that's a better achievement than anything any dutch team has made since 1995.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, and?
One single run in 22 years?

Great argument ! You're certainly making a point. :handclap:

In fact, in the last 26 years, France has more CL finals than Holland. And way more semi finals.

Even though France was the only country for a long time to limit the budget of its teams, make every pro team have an academy, and tax the teams more than any other country in Europe.
That's why for 15 years, italian, spanish, portugese teams and many others had huge financial advantages.
It's still the case for a degree in fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00